Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Racine 70.3 swim cancelled
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this has been posted but this is nuts how often they cancel swims now

Yes 51 degrees is coldish but it's not gonna kill you.

That's what wetsuits do! They keep you warm in cold water

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted but this is nuts how often they cancel swims now

51F is around 10C. Honestly, I don't think I would be able to swim in those temperatures with a normal wetsuit. Lowest I tried was 14C (57.2F) and that already stopped my breathing due to the thermal shock for a little while.

Paulo Matos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced the ITU Champs in Cape Town earlier this year.

So. Freaking. Cold. (11C) And because of this cold they shortened the swim... I cannot imagine doing 1.9km in that water (and to you Norsemen gods, 3.8km for that matter).

I know it sucks. But the RDs are thinking about their weakest competitors from a risk minimisation perspective and not the FOPs like everyone on slowtwitch.

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is WTC's rule since 2013:

Swim Temperature
  • Water temperature below 52 degrees Fahrenheit or above 88 degrees Fahrenheit will result in cancellation or shortening of the swim portion of the race

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#ixzz4n5VChAIn

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was under the impression that they adopted USAT water temperature guidelines that went into effect in 2014:

"These recommendations are targeted at race directors, local officials, and athletes. They apply to age group events but not to professional races. Satisfactory, or so-called neutral, water temperature ranges for races of various distances are defined as:
  • <750 meters, 55-89 F
  • 750-1500 meters, 56-87 F
  • >1500 meters, 57-86 F.

http://www.athletesheart.org/...e-safety-guidelines/
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. It's part of their SwimStart Initiative.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would gladly skip a swim at 51* or anything below 60 for that matter.... that's dicey.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [pmatos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pmatos wrote:
[51F is around 10C. Honestly, I don't think I would be able to swim in those temperatures with a normal wetsuit. Lowest I tried was 14C (57.2F) and that already stopped my breathing due to the thermal shock for a little while.

that's cold. but we used to swim in those temps in the pre-wetsuit days. with wetsuits, cold, yes, but not really a problem.

but it's the difference in clientele that requires the swim be canceled. it's a bit of a different sport now than it was in the mid 80s. i'm not against it being canceled.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
pmatos wrote:
[51F is around 10C. Honestly, I don't think I would be able to swim in those temperatures with a normal wetsuit. Lowest I tried was 14C (57.2F) and that already stopped my breathing due to the thermal shock for a little while.

that's cold. but we used to swim in those temps in the pre-wetsuit days. with wetsuits, cold, yes, but not really a problem.

but it's the difference in clientele that requires the swim be canceled. it's a bit of a different sport now than it was in the mid 80s. i'm not against it being canceled.

I agree Dan with the changed clientele. What I think is that they should at least be prepared for such an event and have a true duathlon ready to go in such cases. Why they didn't have a 5k or another substitute for the cancelled swim is a bit silly. It's not that difficult to be prepared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:

I posted in the other Racine thread about water temp according to the buoy in Lake Michigan. At about 6am, the water was 56 degrees according to the markers.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They cancelled because of the temp for sure but I bet they would have shortened/cancelled the swim yesterday based on the small craft advisory and beach hazard yesterday too. The lake was not awful looking but it was windy and the weather service was basically saying close beaches from Milwaukee to Chicago.

I was disappointed there was no swim but 51 degrees would have been brutal because it wasn't the normal 80 and sunny either so the bike would have been freezing for a while too.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also...Door County Triathlon cut their swim down to 1/4 mile.
Copy of FB post:
"Race Director update: Swim abbreviated to 1/4 mile due to small craft advisory. (swells of 2-4 feet). Start delay until 8:30am to ensure staffing along the course route."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that make it two years in a row with no swim for Racine.
granted, the water was pretty damn choppy last year after the storm passed through.
the cool part was a lot of racers went to the local Starbucks during the wait, and had a coffee and chatted with Taylor Reid...
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
pmatos wrote:

Came here to make this point.

Half the field are one and done weekend warriors. Most of them would end up in trouble swimming in 51F water and need fishing out of the water by rescue craft.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not questioning the cancellation, but given the temps are actually about average then why hold a race on the lake at all? Seems like, on average, the swim portion will be cancelled just about every year.

http://www.mlive.com/..._temperatures_7.html
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I'm reading that chart correctly, average temps in mid July are at least 17 C. If the water temp were 17 C we wouldn't have a cancellation.
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% agree
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I was under the impression that they adopted USAT water temperature guidelines that went into effect in 2014:

"These recommendations are targeted at race directors, local officials, and athletes. They apply to age group events but not to professional races. Satisfactory, or so-called neutral, water temperature ranges for races of various distances are defined as:
  • <750 meters, 55-89 F
  • >1500 meters, 57-86 F.

Out of curiousity, I get there is a lower limit temp wise, but why an upper limit? Too cold makes sense, but is there a risk as well if the water is TOO warm?

💀 Fxck Cancer Endurance Team 💀
âš¡ï¸âš¡ï¸ PLUSH Global âš¡ï¸âš¡ï¸

Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [Vicious15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vicious15 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

• <750 meters, 55-89 F
  • >1500 meters, 57-86 F.

Out of curiousity, I get there is a lower limit temp wise, but why an upper limit? Too cold makes sense, but is there a risk as well if the water is TOO warm?

google Fran Crippen

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to swim in northern Michigan in Lake Michigan. Currents and storms can wildly change water tempetatures from day to day - like swings from 50 degrees to 65 in a 24 hour period.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:

You have a wetsuit for your face?
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced Muncie 70.3 the year they shortened it to not much more than an oly. The dialed the swim back to 1 mile and it was just miserable. Sort of like exercising in a sauna. Not healthy and dangerous too. It's even worse when the air is warm and humid as well. That combination can be deadly ... aka Crippen.
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You regularly swam in +/- 50 degree water without a wetsuit? It's like climbing in sub-zero temps without a parka. Sure you can do it for a spell but the ambient temperature is going to win and sap your body heat very, very fast. You clearly cheated death.

This is a standard hypothermia chart:

Hypothermia ChartWater Temp (degrees)Hypothermia IndexExhaustion or UnconsciousnessExpected Survival Time20 to 32 degreesEXTREMEUnder 7 minutesUnder 7-22 minutes32.5 degreesEXTREMEUnder 15 minutesUnder 15-45 minutes32.5 to 40 degreesSEVERE15 to 30 minutes30 to 90 minutes40 to 50 degreesHIGH30 to 60 minutes1 to 3 hours50 to 60 degreesCAUTION1 to 2 hours1 to 6 hours60 to 70 degreesMEDIUM2 to 7 hours2 to 40 hours70 to 80 degreesLOW3 to 12 hours3 hours to indefiniteOver 80 degreesNONEIndefiniteIndefinite
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
You regularly swam in +/- 50 degree water without a wetsuit? It's like climbing in sub-zero temps without a parka. Sure you can do it for a spell but the ambient temperature is going to win and sap your body heat very, very fast. You clearly cheated death.

This is a standard hypothermia chart:

Hypothermia ChartWater Temp (degrees)Hypothermia IndexExhaustion or UnconsciousnessExpected Survival Time20 to 32 degreesEXTREMEUnder 7 minutesUnder 7-22 minutes32.5 degreesEXTREMEUnder 15 minutesUnder 15-45 minutes32.5 to 40 degreesSEVERE15 to 30 minutes30 to 90 minutes40 to 50 degreesHIGH30 to 60 minutes1 to 3 hours50 to 60 degreesCAUTION1 to 2 hours1 to 6 hours60 to 70 degreesMEDIUM2 to 7 hours2 to 40 hours70 to 80 degreesLOW3 to 12 hours3 hours to indefiniteOver 80 degreesNONEIndefiniteIndefinite

You're clearly not replying to me, as I had a better solution..... although I have done a 2.4 race in mid 50's before (obviously with wetsuit). My gripe is the seeming lack of prep for a substitute when it is not very uncommon. Wave start r/b/r would be better than their solution....
Last edited by: ggeiger: Jul 17, 17 11:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the mid 80's San Diego St's team would swim off of La Jolla each Friday afternoon. Spring temps were high 50's to low 60's. None of us had wetsuits. Was pretty damned cold but there were girls on the team so none of us guys were going to show weakness. There was no warm up. Once you hit the water, you had to start working pretty hard because you needed to generate heat. Therefore, no warm up.

Until the temps hit 60deg, I was always "busy" so couldn't attend. High 50's. Brrrrrrr.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply

Prev Next