Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Breaking Bad Effect
Quote | Reply
I have just had the billionth argument with someone about Breaking Bad. Now it shouldn't have been an argument. I was confronted about my complete disinterest in Breaking Bad. I saw the first 4 episodes and from that watching I couldn't give a fuck about anyone on the show. I don't care about any of the characters, melodramas annoy me, I don't root for bad guys and Walter White is a total bitch. So I don't watch and never try to stop anyone from watching. I try hard not to talk about it. However when people find out I flat refuse to watch the show head flip and people freak out. I am dubbing this The Breaking Effect.

The Breaking Bad Effect is when someone dislikes something and the fans of that something can't allow anyone not liking their thing. Why is that? Why do people so badly want people to like what they like. I am full blown asshole, working on it, so I will slam things and I am more than happy to hear you criticism so it's not disagreement that I am bugged by. It is the demand that a person has to like what another person does. "You have to like this show! YOU JUST HAVE TO!" THoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: The Breaking Bad Effect [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no accounting for taste.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, it's not like you said you didn't like The Walking Dead or the Sopranos... those are shows you really do HAVE TO LIKE.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Jul 16, 17 15:29
Quote Reply
Re: The Breaking Bad Effect [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Well, it's not like you said you didn't like The Walking Dead or the Sopranos... those are shows you really do HAVE TO LIKE.

I don't know about the Walking Dead, it didn't sustain the initial promise. I would substitute The Wire for The Walking Dead.

The one I couldn't get into that a lot of people seem to really like is Dexter. I didn't even finish the first episode, keep thinking I should go back and give it another go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Walking Dead sucks because the writers have never met another human and have no idea how humans react. I never watched The Sopranos because meatball mafia shit is super boring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Walking Dead sucks because the writers have never met another human and have no idea how humans react. I never watched The Sopranos because meatball mafia shit is super boring.

You don't like Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead or The Sopranos?

Maybe you could try other t.v shows like Sex in the City or talk shows like The View. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or just avoid TV. By the way I am immune to shame by lady things because I am connfident in my manhood and don't hide be hind manly boredoms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
The Breaking Bad Effect is when someone dislikes something and the fans of that something can't allow anyone not liking their thing. Why is that ?

They've been hypnotized
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lost? Surely everyone liked Lost?

Actually, I feel the OP. There are plenty of things people have felt passionate about that have made me yawn.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy, I feel ya' except for me, it is with anything involving Zombies. Just doesn't do it for me. I tried watching a few episodes after my little sister persuaded me on one of our Ironman sojourns. Nothing...just boredom and the thought that there must be a better way to spend my time.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: The Breaking Bad Effect [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Tibbsy, I feel ya' except for me, it is with anything involving Zombies. Just doesn't do it for me. I tried watching a few episodes after my little sister persuaded me on one of our Ironman sojourns. Nothing...just boredom and the thought that there must be a better way to spend my time.

Like watching Thrones!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was watching an episode yesterday in our call room around shift change time, when a new intensivist arrived for sign out. I asked him if he'd ever seen the show, he said he watched three or four episodes but couldn't get into it.

I spent the next five minutes scolding him. It's the best show in the history of television. Only a fool would hear that repeatedly, for nearly a decade, and not give it a season's worth of attention.

He's wrong, and he just doesn't know it yet. He'll thank me later.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can understand it, I felt Breaking Bad needed a season to hook you in. Now, I know you watched Peaky Blinders and for some comedy, you HAVE to watch Still Game on Netfilx.

Everyone on Slowtwitch needs to watch Still Game and devote a thread just to it. Give it an episode or two to learn the characters and you're hooked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll admit to being a bit of an evangelist in the past for the things I really like, particularly music, movies, and restaurants. OK, more than a bit of one; I had to make the case, implore you to like things. Now I don't care and don't go out of my way to mention those things or anything else I really want people to also like unless they somehow fit into conversation without being forced, and now it's just a "oh, interesting; I also like X for Y reasons & you should check it out" & leave it at that. I'm more prone to not mention restaurants as much now because I'm tired of my favorite spots getting too busy & ruining the cool.

Part of me wonders if we're more prone to this evangelistic groupthink today because many of the things that are popular are that way from the type of marketing. Something is either wildly popular because it's pushed through marketing & everyone thinks you should like it even though it actually sucks; or something is mildly popular because it's damn good on its own and is gaining traction by virtue of how great it really is, and then those who are in on the secret want to share it. Or social media has turned are dialogue with such things into that of pre-pubescent teens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you seen Nurse Jackie?

Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
The Walking Dead sucks because the writers have never met another human and have no idea how humans react.

x2 Walking Dead. I'm a fanboi of the zombie genre (RIP, Romero), but I quit when I realized I was cheering for the zombies to just clean house so I wouldn't be subjected to yet another "character development" episode of someone talking non-stop about their precious feelings. Or yet another season-long trope of the seemingly perfect utopia...but, uh-oh maybe there's a dark side!

I much prefer the Z Nation series, which takes itself much less seriously.
Quote Reply
Re: The Breaking Bad Effect [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two seasons. I am just really burned out on melodrama. You can see where the plot is going miles off and my life is really fucked up enough right now that I don't need to see another person fuck theirs up. I know it brings a lot of people solace to see others go through hard times but I don't fear death do I don't need that kind of solace.
Quote Reply
Re: The Breaking Bad Effect [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watch The Walking Dead to keep a woman quiet. Jesus it sucks so hard. Rick is the worst leader in history but people slavishly follow him. Negan is super boring and one dimensional. When the writers made up a back ground for Negan for the fans, a history teacher and ping pong coach, it showed the complete lack of skill on part of the writers. That boring asshole was a CEO. Every eye rolling word and action that black hole of character says and does is pure CEO. Negan ran a huge company before the zombies bored me to death and he brought those skills to the apocalypse.

Also has any member of the cast seen a human cry before? Sweet Janet they don't know how to cry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it brings a lot of people solace to see others go through hard times but I don't fear death do I don't need that kind of solace.

And some people just watch it for entertainment. I was bed ridden for 3 months and watched it simply because I was bed ridden for 3 months. There was no alternative purpose, no filling in big gaps in my life, just a way to distract from my bike accident. I struggled with reading and simply wanted something to do. I watched Breaking Bad years after it initially came out and had never heard of it until then because I was out of the country for 5 years.

Sometimes the reasons for watching things are simple.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with all you said it's just the weird anger and desire to argue about not wanting to watch something that throws me off. I love many things and tell people about them but if they show no interest I couldn't care less. Fine, don't watch.
Quote Reply
Re: The Breaking Bad Effect [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I can understand it, I felt Breaking Bad needed a season to hook you in.

If a TV show takes a full season to get you interested, then it's not a particularly good series.

I'm with Tibbs on this one. Never got into Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Wire, etc. I watched a bunch of Game of Thrones, mostly because I was stuck in some places where there wasn't much else to do, but I stopped mid-season last year or the one before, and never had any particular hankering to jump back in. Kind of like the annoying Dallas Cowboy fan who feels a need to constantly tell everyone how awesome the Cowboys are, lots of people are annoying show fans who seem to seek validation by getting other people to sign on to their opinions and interests.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I watch The Walking Dead to keep a woman quiet.

I've refused to watch it with mrs sphere over the years, and take indescribable joy at watching her come to the begrudging realization that it fucking sucks.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: The Breaking Bad Effect [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really had a hard time with Breaking Bad. It was produced well, but it just moved too slow. Once they met Saul and the Los Pollos guy, it felt like the pace really picked up and I'm glad I stuck it out. I pretty much binge watched seasons 4 & 5. Slow start, but ultimately I loved it.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
Rick is the worst leader in history but people slavishly follow him.

That is the primary reason I stopped watching. I got so annoyed with the stupid shit he would do.
Quote Reply
Re: The Breaking Bad Effect [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
I really had a hard time with Breaking Bad. It was produced well, but it just moved too slow. Once they met Saul and the Los Pollos guy, it felt like the pace really picked up and I'm glad I stuck it out. I pretty much binge watched seasons 4 & 5. Slow start, but ultimately I loved it.

I agree. Unlike many shows that start with a bang and then fade, I thought Breaking Bad got better and better. Even the extra season was good.
Quote Reply

Prev Next