Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Beantown Marathon
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Does anyone have any info/insight with respect to the Beantown Marathon ( http://beantownmarathon.com/ )? Due to injuries I've had to wait till the last minute to try to qualify for Boston.

The best I can tell from the website, it looks like only ~120 people have signed up so far. I signed up and had a question so I emailed the RD. After almost 2 weeks , no reply. I'm getting an uneasy feeling about this race. Maybe just normal pre race paranoia.

I would hate to train through the heat and humidity of this summer only to find out that there is a problem with this race.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Beantown Marathon [rayman54] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It definitely looks fishy. Their Facebook page hasn't been updated since March...

https://www.facebook.com/...hon-216199108854636/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about that race, but another option would be https://racecancer.org/runfest
It's the day before the Beantown Marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Beantown Marathon [erksls] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that suggestion. 10 laps!! And I thought the Beantown 6 loop course was going to be tedious.......

I reached out to RaceWire and got the following reply:

RaceWire Support (RaceWire)
Jul 17, 3:24 PM EDT
Hi Raymond!
Thanks for reaching out.
I can assure you that this is going to be an official BQ. The course is getting certified this weekend . Typically our certifier will get me official maps, and the USATF cert number the week following. We will keep you posted.
Check out our FAQ page below for quick answers!
racewire.com/help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Follow-up:

I finished in 3:28:06, so I qualified for Boston by almost 27 minutes (BQ - 3:55). Overall I was happy with the race and end result.

At first I thought the 6 loop course was going to be tedious/difficult. As it turned out for me it was just the opposite as the course was totally on paved trails with a 1/3 mile stretch on a compact dirt path in a very pretty park. I ended up looking forward to that path as it was soft and very forgiving on the feet/body. The weather was ideal as well.

My initial trepidation of this race was the total lack of response by the race director to reasonable questions. I saw that many others had the same experience. That coupled with no periodic web site and facebook updates left me with a very uneasy feeling. RaceWire seemed to take control as the race approached which really made a huge difference. It all worked out in the end so I'm happy that I did this race. The course management/volunteers was great. Water/gel tables at very frequent intervals so that was perfect too. No frills, but that was stated up front so no issues with that. If I were looking for another last minute Boston qualifier I would do this race again for sure.
Quote Reply