Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Culture-Changing for Sure: Why I Love My Amazon Prime
Quote | Reply
The linked article describes perfectly, at least for me, why I so love my Amazon Prime membership. I can't count the number of goods and services I've procured at a much lower price than through more traditional means. Oftentimes, something I've purchased arrives free within two days -- and is frequently delivered by a Lyft driver who accepted the delivery gig through an app on their phone (there's your "gig economy" for you).

Of course, this sort of change isn't good for everyone, most especially the brick-and-mortar retail sector and all those mom-and-pop stores I grew up with. And I don't know what to say or do about that, either.

Amazon Prime does more for northern food security than federal subsidies, say Iqaluit residents.

"The consensus in Iqaluit seems to be that everyone with a credit card has an Amazon Prime membership. That’s because people can often find groceries cheaper online than in local stores, despite government food subsidy programs.

“Amazon Prime has done more toward elevating the standard of living of my family than any territorial or federal program. Full stop. Period,” a local principal, who declined to speak further, said on Facebook."

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Culture-Changing for Sure: Why I Love My Amazon Prime [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
The linked article describes perfectly, at least for me, why I so love my Amazon Prime membership. I can't count the number of goods and services I've procured at a much lower price than through more traditional means. Oftentimes, something I've purchased arrives free within two days -- and is frequently delivered by a Lyft driver who accepted the delivery gig through an app on their phone (there's your "gig economy" for you).

Of course, this sort of change isn't good for everyone, most especially the brick-and-mortar retail sector and all those mom-and-pop stores I grew up with. And I don't know what to say or do about that, either.

Amazon Prime does more for northern food security than federal subsidies, say Iqaluit residents.

"The consensus in Iqaluit seems to be that everyone with a credit card has an Amazon Prime membership. That’s because people can often find groceries cheaper online than in local stores, despite government food subsidy programs.

“Amazon Prime has done more toward elevating the standard of living of my family than any territorial or federal program. Full stop. Period,” a local principal, who declined to speak further, said on Facebook."

Any idea who has amazon prime? I just don't see the value. I place 4-5 amazon orders a year and get free shipping, I don't see the value just so I can get items in 2 days.

Now at work we eating one day and it turned out every all the women had Amazon prime, but none of the men. I wonder if those demographics hold, or if it was just too small of a sample.
Quote Reply
Re: Culture-Changing for Sure: Why I Love My Amazon Prime [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I use Amazon Prime a lot. I love the simplicity of being able to find exactly what I want and have it at my door in two days.
Quote Reply
Re: Culture-Changing for Sure: Why I Love My Amazon Prime [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many people utilize Amazon Prime. In fact in most e commerce research for Purchase, Amazon is the first place people search. The reasoning HUGE inventory (Hard to find stuff that you like it is there) / Easy of use (order and it shows up in a couple of days) / no going someplace to buy something returns are EASY.

From what I can assume by the post you have made over the years, I think you are over 60 (I sincerely apologize if I am wrong). So you probably like to see, smell, touch before you by. Younger generations not so much.

Plus the streaming music and TV (TV buffers a lot for me for some reason and it is frustrating as hell), are nice value adds as well.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Culture-Changing for Sure: Why I Love My Amazon Prime [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have Prine and use it, but it isn't always the cheapest option. I don't live in Iqaluit, but I have never found Amazon to have good prices on groceries.
Quote Reply
Re: Culture-Changing for Sure: Why I Love My Amazon Prime [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gymrat wrote:
Many people utilize Amazon Prime. In fact in most e commerce research for Purchase, Amazon is the first place people search. The reasoning HUGE inventory (Hard to find stuff that you like it is there) / Easy of use (order and it shows up in a couple of days) / no going someplace to buy something returns are EASY.

From what I can assume by the post you have made over the years, I think you are over 60 (I sincerely apologize if I am wrong). So you probably like to see, smell, touch before you by. Younger generations not so much.

Plus the streaming music and TV (TV buffers a lot for me for some reason and it is frustrating as hell), are nice value adds as well.

I'm 56, but I've been buying online (including autos) since the late-90s and I've been on the Web since about '93 (and playing floppy disk-based video games starting in '87...counting King's Quest (Sierra) and Leisure Suit Larry -- hahahahaha! -- among those games ;-), with a presence in the old Usenet community before that.

Computer-wise, I've had 'em all. A Tandy TRS-80 ("Trash 80" LOL!), an Osbourne 1 (paid $1,500 for that in late '81 and dumped it in February of '82 for $500...lesson learned), Commodore 64 and a Commodore Amiga 1000, a TI-99/4A (bought that on special at the Navy Exchange in Newport, RI in '82), a Timex Sinclair 1000 (ugh!). I got serious (so I thought) with the IBM PCjr I bought in '86 when I was stationed in the Norfolk/Tidewater, VA area. That one, I kept around for a few years. Then of course moved to MS for the OS (we all went google-eyed at Windows '95 and tried to install it on our unit's computers, which got us all pretty much screamed at by the command IT guy).

I was around for BASIC and C-Base, even. We used C-Base to put all our records online, for a time, way back in the day.

Quote Reply
Re: Culture-Changing for Sure: Why I Love My Amazon Prime [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
My wife and I use Amazon Prime a lot. I love the simplicity of being able to find exactly what I want and have it at my door in two days.

This. Their service is hard to beat. We recently ordered a large, reasonably expensive item. We have instructions to leave items at the front door. For some reason, the courier didn't, and left us a note for pick up. I emailed Amazon and explained. Response was quick, and they assured the package would be there soon. I guess what they did was cancel that order, and ordered us a new item with 1 day shipping. So next day, both items were left at our door step. Once again, I emailed Amazon and told them to come get their extra package. They said, essentially, that it wasn't worth it to them, and to enjoy the extra item free of charge and do with it what we would like. So we sold it, which nearly paid for the item we kept.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
Any idea who has amazon prime? I just don't see the value. I place 4-5 amazon orders a year and get free shipping, I don't see the value just so I can get items in 2 days.

Now at work we eating one day and it turned out every all the women had Amazon prime, but none of the men. I wonder if those demographics hold, or if it was just too small of a sample.

How old are you? My Dad is 65 and he's slow to adapt but he's placed a few orders. I'm a 36 year old male and Amazon has radically changed the way I shop. Just yesterday I noticed I was running low on deodorant and soap so I bought some amazon and saved myself a trip to the grocery store. Instead of wasting time making a home depot run over the weekend I plan ahead and order what I'll need for a project on Amazon. I buy toys for the kids, dog food, batteries, pillows, shoes you name it's all on Amazon and almost always at the lowest price.
Quote Reply
Re: Culture-Changing for Sure: Why I Love My Amazon Prime [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
patf wrote:

How old are you? My Dad is 65 and he's slow to adapt but he's placed a few orders. I'm a 36 year old male and Amazon has radically changed the way I shop. Just yesterday I noticed I was running low on deodorant and soap so I bought some amazon and saved myself a trip to the grocery store. Instead of wasting time making a home depot run over the weekend I plan ahead and order what I'll need for a project on Amazon. I buy toys for the kids, dog food, batteries, pillows, shoes you name it's all on Amazon and almost always at the lowest price.

Same here. I buy almost every single thing we need from Amazon. Nothing like having a 40 lb bag of dog food delivered to your door and a regular basis.

In addition, Amazon just added Amazon Fresh in our area. So, now we can get fresh groceries in about 2 hours. I ran out of milk. Ordered milk, shower soap, razor blades, chips, etc. and was able to skip the store. Love it.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My buddy works in their drone group. He had a blog about drones (his hobby). They contacted him and hired him.

That said, there is a myth starting to perpetuate that Amazon is the cheapest for everything. Its not always the cheapest. I just bought a Coleman cooler from Walmart (delivered) and it was cheaper than Amazon even with Prime.
Quote Reply
Re: Culture-Changing for Sure: Why I Love My Amazon Prime [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know whether Amazon ever worked out the issue with the FAA? My understanding is commercial air delivery is regulated by the FAA and, "Amazon Drone" would require FAA licensing, which the FAA was signaling it would not approve.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Culture-Changing for Sure: Why I Love My Amazon Prime [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Anyone know whether Amazon ever worked out the issue with the FAA? My understanding is commercial air delivery is regulated by the FAA and, "Amazon Drone" would require FAA licensing, which the FAA was signaling it would not approve.

I have no idea but I don't want to see drones flying around everywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Culture-Changing for Sure: Why I Love My Amazon Prime [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
My buddy works in their drone group. He had a blog about drones (his hobby). They contacted him and hired him.

That said, there is a myth starting to perpetuate that Amazon is the cheapest for everything. Its not always the cheapest. I just bought a Coleman cooler from Walmart (delivered) and it was cheaper than Amazon even with Prime.

I recall reading an article last month that said Walmart is gearing up to go head-to-head with Amazon (and Prime) on most everything. I can already see it in Walmart's online store, where it's offering many of the same products found on Amazon. Looks like we could have us a price war on our hands. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work for Amazon and it is a lot of fun to change the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Culture-Changing for Sure: Why I Love My Amazon Prime [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
I work for Amazon and it is a lot of fun to change the world.

Well, so far I'm digging the direction in which it's headed. :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Culture-Changing for Sure: Why I Love My Amazon Prime [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
We have Prine and use it, but it isn't always the cheapest option. I don't live in Iqaluit, but I have never found Amazon to have good prices on groceries.
This. I subscribed to Amazon Prime while my father was hospitalized and quickly needed medical items for him and the house. Thinking he was going to be around much longer and I not be able to leave the house, Prime made sense. Now, not so much. I have purchased a few items that came quickly and were returned after finding cheaper with shipping elsewhere. The convenience of next day deliveries is nice but not important to me. Free 5-day shipping with $35 or more spent is good enough for what I want so I will most probably not renew my subscription.

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
torrey wrote:

This. I subscribed to Amazon Prime while my father was hospitalized and quickly needed medical items for him and the house. Thinking he was going to be around much longer and I not be able to leave the house, Prime made sense. Now, not so much. I have purchased a few items that came quickly and were returned after finding cheaper with shipping elsewhere. The convenience of next day deliveries is nice but not important to me. Free 5-day shipping with $35 or more spent is good enough for what I want so I will most probably not renew my subscription.

This is how I look at it too. I group up purchases if needed and have always gotten the 5 day free shipping. I don't need 2 day delivery. If I did need it then I might change my mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had two Amazon moments in the past few years:

#1 I needed a new cross-country ski binding for a new pair of skis that I bought used from a friend. The local place where we ski had the bindings priced at $129.99. I gave it a thought then when I got home from skiing that day, I went on Amazon. Found them at $89.99. No charge shipping on something like a 5 day delivery. Did some digging - these were being sold 3rd party via a source in France. Good grief - shipped all the way from France to my door a in a few days for $89.99. I still bought them at the local ski place - felt bad for them. That was a few years ago.

#2 We have drawers full of Timex Ironman watches - a by product of working in the business. Problem is after a time all the batteries go dead. I needed a watch that worked - both for work, and for when I am riding (it' the only "technology" I ride with). Went on Amazon and found a Timex Ironman watch on a no-charge shipping, next day delivery promo for $49.99. Ordered it, and it did show up the next day - went for a ride with it that same afternoon! That was just a few weeks ago.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jul 18, 17 7:56
Quote Reply
Re: Culture-Changing for Sure: Why I Love My Amazon Prime [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I've had two Amazon moments in the past few years:

#1 I needed a new cross-country ski binding for a new pair of skis that I bought used from a friend. The local place where we ski had the bindings priced at $129.99. I gave it a thought then when I got home from skiing that day, I went on Amazon. Found them at $89.99. No charge shipping on something like a 5 day delivery. Did some digging - these were being sold 3rd party via a source in France. Good grief - shipped all the way from France to my door a in a few days for $89.99. I still bought them at the local ski place - felt bad for them. That was a few years ago.

#2 We have drawers full of Timex Ironman watches - a by product of working in the business. Problem is after a time all the batteries go dead. I needed a watch that worked - both for work, and for when I am riding (it' the only "technology" I ride with). Went on Amazon and found a Timex Ironman watch on a next day delivery promo for $49.99. Ordered and it did show up the next day - went for a ride with it that same afternoon! That was just a few weeks ago.

Your story leads me to a thought: Is it time to break up Amazon, if only to save the brick-and-mortar retail sector? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We get a couple shipments per week. We started with diapers/ wipes for kids, then Christmas presents to now the majority of our non-perishable purchases are amazon. Wal-mart also provides free shipping on orders over $35 so we do 1-2 monthly orders there. Groceries are super easy, fruits, veggies, meats and dairy -- 15 minutes and check yourself out. Our grocery store has curbside to go pre-order but I prefer to pick out my own meats, fruits and vegetables.

I honestly wonder what the long-term business models of major retail establishments are? I can see high end butcher shops and vegetable stands taking the place of most grocery stores.
Quote Reply
Re: Culture-Changing for Sure: Why I Love My Amazon Prime [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes me wonder if Wal-Mart will buy Ebay. similar in that its a store front for everyone with all random stuff you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WalMart already purchased Jet.com last year, which is supposed to attempt to compete in some of the same space as Amazon. I haven't found Jet to have either the selection or pricing of Amazon and actually forget that it's even there to check. It seems like the online shopping world is basically Amazon and then all of the specialty retailers in specific markets; another big box, catch-all Amazon competitor is going to have serious ground to make up to make the case for shopping with them over Amazon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I hesitated to go Prime as I wasn't sure I would use it enough to make it worth it. Now that we have it we use it quite often. I price check almost everything on Amazon before I buy it local. There are a lot of things you can't get local that can be ordered by a local shop but their ordering time is longer than waiting for shipping from Amazon. Just had an example last week.

Found out on Wednesday afternoon that I needed to take a trip in my not oft used truck on Friday morning at 6:00am. I needed a part for the truck before the trip. I could have used Thursday to search for the part locally, most likely had to drive 30 mins to whatever shop might have had it, paid top dollar, drove another 30 mins home. That is if I was lucky enough to find it. Instead I searched on Amazon, found it was available with Prime, got the 1 day shipping for $10 and had the part by 1:00pm on Thursday.

Not always the cheapest, but it is convenient and the returns are really easy if it doesn't work out. We don't use the video or streaming aspect of it very much, but we do once in a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The way Prime changes your life is that while it may not be the cheapest option is it easy and quick. So if I am looking for something that is $100+ I might look around a bit for the right item and best deal. But if I need a new bite valve for my CamelPack it takes less than a minute to order it and it will show up tomorrow. Without Prime you order from Amazon every now and then, with Prime you replace all those quick trips to Target, the drug store, Home Depot, LBS, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happens when Amazon kills all the competition and they are the only place left to get stuff? It get the impression that right now they are happy to lose money with services like Prime to increase their market share. Are we left like a lot of places where the only place to buy stuff is Walmart? And they close down Walmarst that are close to each other because they know you will now have only one place to go?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply

Prev Next