Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

And the World's Laziest Countries Are...
Quote | Reply
Scientists have done the science thing and determined the world's laziest countries.

"Their findings? The average number of daily steps worldwide, they said, was 4,961. But that number varied widely from country to country. In top-place Hong Kong, for example, survey participants took an average of 6,880 steps a day. In Indonesia, the average was just 3,513, putting it at the bottom of the rankings.

China (where people walk an average of 6,189 steps a day) and Japan (6,010) are also near the top of the list. Spain (5,936) and the United Kingdom (5,444) are above average, too. The United States clocks in at about 4,774 steps a day, a bit below the worldwide average. Some of the most sedentary countries are Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, South Africa and India."

Americans take fewer steps than people in China and the U.K., new study reveals - The Washington Post

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: And the World's Laziest Countries Are... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No real surprise. Most of the countries they don't walk a lot are hot.

Canada should be on top of that list but we're too friggin lazy.
Quote Reply
Re: And the World's Laziest Countries Are... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
work smarter not harder FFS. FYI, I average over 10,000 steps / day at my job
Quote Reply
Re: And the World's Laziest Countries Are... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:

Street walker?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Having lived in both New England and the South I think at least part of the reason the obesity problem is worse down there is the heat. We moved in August and the difference in people being outside doing stuff was stark. Our neighborhood was deserted in the evenings in NC whereas in Maine people are out walking, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: And the World's Laziest Countries Are... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Having lived in both New England and the South I think at least part of the reason the obesity problem is worse down there is the heat. We moved in August and the difference in people being outside doing stuff was stark. Our neighborhood was deserted in the evenings in NC whereas in Maine people are out walking, etc.

Those are great observations. I truly never thought of it that way, but it makes a lot of sense.

Quote Reply
Re: And the World's Laziest Countries Are... [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:

Street walker?

yeah that's it...
Quote Reply
Re: And the World's Laziest Countries Are... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having lived in both New England and the South I think at least part of the reason the obesity problem is worse down there is the heat.

I used to think that was a big reason also but then I lived in SE Asia where it is hotter than the southern U.S. Thailand in particular has very lean people (the young are exceptionally thin) and it is very hot. People in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia are also far leaner although in places like Malaysia and the Philippines, that has changed a lot in the last 30 years.

The change from people being very lean to having obesity and diabetes problems in SE Asia is not because it got hotter but because of the introduction of fast food and sugar. Their diets used to be almost exclusively rice, vegetables and fish and now they are big consumers of junk food, large bottle so coke are everywhere and people drink with lunch and dinner and an explosion of sugar loaded foods. The obesity patterns show a direct link to the introduction of fast foods, the same way it did in North America, 20 years earlier than it did there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Having lived in both New England and the South I think at least part of the reason the obesity problem is worse down there is the heat.

I used to think that was a big reason also but then I lived in SE Asia where it is hotter than the southern U.S. Thailand in particular has very lean people (the young are exceptionally thin) and it is very hot. People in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia are also far leaner although in places like Malaysia and the Philippines, that has changed a lot in the last 30 years.

The change from people being very lean to having obesity and diabetes problems in SE Asia is not because it got hotter but because of the introduction of fast food and sugar. Their diets used to be almost exclusively rice, vegetables and fish and now they are big consumers of junk food, large bottle so coke are everywhere and people drink with lunch and dinner and an explosion of sugar loaded foods. The obesity patterns show a direct link to the introduction of fast foods, the same way it did in North America, 20 years earlier than it did there.

I think the same thing has been observed of Japan, which seems to be in love with the Biggu Makku. ;-)

Quote Reply