Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Been back in North Idaho for a month now . . .
Quote | Reply
 . . . and I just realized my 14 year old kid knows a girl his age who has a tattoo on her neck.

I'm mildly culture shocked. Don't think I saw any pre-high schoolers with tattoos in SLC.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Been back in North Idaho for a month now . . . [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
. . . and I just realized my 14 year old kid knows a girl his age who has a tattoo on her neck.

I'm mildly culture shocked. Don't think I saw any pre-high schoolers with tattoos in SLC.

Welcome back! We've been wondering where you were. Don't worry, it's still the same old LR, except that Duffy has changed his name to Chorizo Blanco and doesn't post anymore. Oh, and bk is back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, there are one hell of a lot tattoo shops in CDA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surprising. I would think northern Idaho would be even more conservative than SLC.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Been back in North Idaho for a month now . . . [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
North Idaho's "conservatism" is increasingly of the " 'Murica! Fuck yeah!" variety.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the tattoo say Remember Ruby Ridge?
Quote Reply
Re: Been back in North Idaho for a month now . . . [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol. Not sure what it says. I picked him up from volunteering, and she introduced herself as his friend. I was driving off before the tattoo registered. She's in his class at school.

But I'm thinking it probably says something like "Krystal" or some other stripper type name.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and I just realized my 14 year old kid knows a girl his age who has a tattoo on her neck.

It could be in worse places...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you certain is not henna or one of those spit-on tattoos?

Quote | Reply
Welcome back.

Yah, CdA/PF has kind of developed an urban/hipster vibe in recent years. I see guys walking around in skinny jeans, lumberjack shirt and beard, grommets in their ears, and man buns. They would have been laughed out of town and put on a bus back to Portland a decade ago.

If this keeps up, I might have to escape to Priest Lake for my retirement years... ;-)

[get off my lawn.]

Message me the next time you're in CdA and I'll buy you a beer at one of our spiffy new hipster hangouts.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Been back in North Idaho for a month now . . . [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having grown up in Post Falls (and my wife gowing up in CDA) we often talk about just how much the area has changed.

We are in Moscow now which is interesting itself with the cross section of student's, university folks, hippies (though hipsters seem to be missing?), fundamentalists, and conservatives (not the merica f yeah variety).

Hanging out in CDA this weekend and hit a new hipsterish joint called Cosmic Cowboy last night. The intersection of american flag tshirts and skinny jeans was on full display. Flag folks clearly not happy that the place is much more cosmic than cowboy (vegan options, non gmo, pick your protein type of place).

Interesting little corner of earth this area has become. Cant decide if I like it anymore or not.

Anyhow for your next hipster joint beer try Cosmic Cowboy. So hipster that they have the balls to charge $6.50 for a 9oz poorly poured ipa in a 12oz glass.

MOP_Mike wrote:
Welcome back.

Yah, CdA/PF has kind of developed an urban/hipster vibe in recent years. I see guys walking around in skinny jeans, lumberjack shirt and beard, grommets in their ears, and man buns. They would have been laughed out of town and put on a bus back to Portland a decade ago.

If this keeps up, I might have to escape to Priest Lake for my retirement years... ;-)

[get off my lawn.]

Message me the next time you're in CdA and I'll buy you a beer at one of our spiffy new hipster hangouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

I thought Northern Idaho was all wholesome like that "Dante's Peak" town? ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeeouch!

My daughter turns 14 tomorrow. I have her and 5 other girls at an amusement park today. Good kids, the lot of them. Hope that sticks!

By the way- started BJJ after I was cleared from neck surgery. Sweet!

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
Welcome back.

[get off my lawn.]

I'm by no means an expert in hipster style but it's not something I associate neck tattoos with?
Quote Reply
Re: Been back in North Idaho for a month now . . . [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

I'm by no means an expert in hipster style but it's not something I associate neck tattoos with?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CA influence

Re: Been back in North Idaho for a month now . . . [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
CA influence

True dat. I know a lot of people that left and moved to Idaho. Started back in the 90's. It was popular with retired cops and firefighters to move there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
North Idaho's "conservatism" is increasingly of the " 'Murica! Fuck yeah!" variety.

That's been the trend pretty much everywhere for a while now

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

See I'd call that look punk not hipster? I think of hipster as nerdy lumberjack.
Quote Reply
Re: Been back in North Idaho for a month now . . . [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
See I'd call that look punk not hipster? I think of hipster as nerdy lumberjack.

Point taken. How about this guy?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I'd call that hipster.

Something I've been wondering, is there a female hipster look?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Point taken. How about this guy?

Close. He needs mittens.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Been back in North Idaho for a month now . . . [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely a real tattoo. My son informs me it's an arrow surrounded by flowers.

She seems like a genuinely nice girl- she's spending her summer volunteering at a camp for kids with special needs- so don't take this the wrong way. But I think there's less a hipster influence than a trailer park factor going on.

That said, there is definitely a hipster vibe influencing CdA. I'm not entirely opposed. I haven't been to Cosmic Cowboy yet, but I've tried a couple of the restaurants on Sherman. The Collective Kitchen is quite good. Excellent food and really good beer selection. (Less impressed with Sweet Lou's.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Definitely a real tattoo. My son informs me it's an arrow surrounded by flowers.

She seems like a genuinely nice girl- she's spending her summer volunteering at a camp for kids with special needs- so don't take this the wrong way. But I think there's less a hipster influence than a trailer park factor going on.

That said, there is definitely a hipster vibe influencing CdA. I'm not entirely opposed. I haven't been to Cosmic Cowboy yet, but I've tried a couple of the restaurants on Sherman. The Collective Kitchen is quite good. Excellent food and really good beer selection. (Less impressed with Sweet Lou's.)

As long as we're talking about beer/food places to check out in CDA. Add Midtown Bluebird to your list if you have not been there yet. Good friends own it (and Syringa if you're a sushi fan). Great food and solid beer selection. A little biased but I'll say it's top 3 for me in CDA.

On the tattoo front I'm certainly not opposed to them (#7 is getting done when I'm back in Chicago in a few weeks) but am surprised to hear about a 14 year old having not. Not in a judgemental way, just something (I don't think) I've run into before. As I'm sitting here thinking about it if our son is doing such socially awesome activities like volunteering at a camp for kids w/special needs at that age and wanted a small tattoo I'd be open to talking it through with him.
Quote Reply
Re: Been back in North Idaho for a month now . . . [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait. What? You're back? How did I not notice that you quietly returned to the LR? I trust that the hair is still unwashed and fabulous. You know, the things that really matter.
Quote Reply

Prev Next