Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Time to hang it up, near miss on the bike.
Quote | Reply
I have been doing triathlons for 20 years and really enjoy staying in shape, especially as I age and see the downsides of not excersising.

But then today, I had a near fatal miss. Will spare you the details, but safe to say I was doing the right thing but two cars passing a dump truck were coming head on at me as i was riding the opposite side shoulder. They past me going the other direction inches away at 60 mph. Lights out no question.

I have a 9 year old, 7 year old and while after 20 years of doing this I do define myself as a triathlete, I have lots of other sports passion I can focus on. And would really like to see the second half of my life.

There is no question roads are less safe, or perhaps I have been on them long enough as I age I am increasingly aware that my number could be up soon and I am just not sure if it's worth it anymore.

I have a garage full of bikes, but I am contemplating hanging it up. I can just focus on running, tennis, skiing, maybe even mountain biking... it's just a collar bone it's not death.

So I need to perhaps road ride in larger groups more, I have a garmin vario... but is it just time to move on and walk away cold turkey?

Does anyone know how to do this or any successful ways to call it a day?

Thank you.
Last edited by: Zippy303: Jul 15, 17 9:28
Quote Reply
Re: Time to hang it up, near miss on the bike. [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there no rails to trails where you live? Or unpaved trails that would be suitable for a road bike with perhaps 28 maybe 32 tires? Just because you gave up roads doesn't mean you have to give up on cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:

But then today, I had a near fatal miss. Will spare you the details but safe to say I was doing the right thing but two cars passing coming head on at me as i am riding the safe shoulder where inches away at 60 mph. Lights out no question.

You were riding with traffic and these two cars came across the center line...or against it and they just got close to you while you were in their shoulder?
Last edited by: Jason N: Jul 14, 17 16:40
Quote Reply
Re: Time to hang it up, near miss on the bike. [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes riding with traffic and the on coming cars were passing. It was just too close to me, but to the car drivers I am sure worth the risk, if they even saw me.

And agree, I live where mostly road is the only 'out the door' choice but my cross and or future mtn bike could be an growing option, but frequency of rides will for sure decline since I would have to drive. But I am good with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you're not hurt and considering you have kids it sounds like a prudent choice. Drivers just seem to be getting worse and worse these days. Maybe use it as a good excuse to get into Xterra?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:
I have been doing triathlons for 20 years and really enjoy staying in shape, especially as I age and see the downsides of not excersising.

But then today, I had a near fatal miss. Will spare you the details but safe to say I was doing the right thing but two cars passing coming head on at me as i am riding the safe shoulder where inches away at 60 mph. Lights out no question.

I have a 9 year old, 7 year old and while after 20 years of doing this do define myself as a triathlete, I have lots of other sports passion I can focus on. And would really like to see the second half of my life.

There is no question roads are less safe, or perhaps I have been in them long enough as I age I am increasingly aware that my number could be up soon and I am just not sure if it's worth it anymore.

I have a garage full of bikes, but I am contemplating hanging it up. I can just focus on running, tennis, skiing, maybe even mountain biking... it's just a collar bone it's not death.

So I need to perhaps road tide in larger groups more, I have a garmin vario... but is it just time to move on and walk away cold turkey?

Thank you.

While I was driving today I saw a big Mercedes SUV blow through a stop sign at about 40MPH and miss a car in the intersection by a foot. I saw the driver and pretty convinced she was looking at her phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been freaked out by seeing oncoming cars use my lane to pass a slower car as well (assume I am interpreting the situation correctly). As long as I have a wide shoulder I guess they figure they are giving me the same space as if they were traveling with my direction. Logically it isn't much worse than having cars pass you traveling in your direction but it seems a lot worse. I guess coming at you the impact velocity might be 90mph vs with you the impact velocity might be 50 mph, but 50 mph is enough to kill you.

I survived a head on collision with a car...went over the top of him. Broke a collarbone and several ribs. If it would have been a truck I probably wouldn't be here.

I'm working on developing autonomous vehicles....this will be our salvation but it is many years away from being ubiquitous.

If you don't feel safe, don't go...trust your instincts.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to hang it up, near miss on the bike. [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

While I was driving today I saw a big Mercedes SUV blow through a stop sign at about 40MPH and miss a car in the intersection by a foot. I saw the driver and pretty convinced she was looking at her phone.

Yeah, just a couple of weeks ago I was walking through downtown, crossing an intersection, in the crosswalk, with the walk signal. It was a 4 lane one way street I was crossing. 3 of the lanes had cars stopped at the light, waiting as they should. Just as I am about to finish crossing and step on the curb, I hear a screeching of tires behind me as a car skids through the cross walk and narrowly avoids t-boning a car who had the green.

I have no idea how that car didn't see the red light, or the other three cars who were stopped at the red light. Ok, actually, I do have an idea of how they didn't see all of that.

To the OP - glad you're ok. I guess technically speaking it was a legal pass by the cars? Maybe not. Still super scary and shouldn't be done. But those types of drivers are a danger to all people. Other drivers, bikes, and pedestrians.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel the same way sometimes. I try and be visible and the bicycle clothing industry isn't helping much. Just look at the high end bike clothing lines and you won't see much in terms of hi-vis clothes. I wear a neon yellow helmet, neon yellow shoes, light colored jerseys and lights if I ride in the early morning. Hopefully the drivers will see some blip of color between texting and eating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
with phones and in car electronics the roads for sure are more unsafe. I would say you give it a month to think about before making a decision. We can die from pretty well everything including cancer, a bolt of lightening, some weather disaster....the list is endless. If you are happy never riding again though, then that's fine. For me, I don't want to give up riding. I hope to ride till I actually die (ideally from a heart attack in 2 minutes when I am 85 or so). But if you are truly ready to give up riding, then go for it. Just be reminded that the risks of all kinds of other stuff are actually pretty much higher than riding even with all those texting idiots.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to hang it up, near miss on the bike. [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: inattentive drivers. I went out to the grocery store at 9 PM the other night. We are at 48°N so still daylight out. Got to the 4 way stop sign and there were no other cars. One car was coming up a hill from my right awfully fast and the young lady driving was looking down. I waited and she blew through the stop sign going about 35 (speed limit is 25). She didn't even realize what she had done. Had I gone through the intersection like I was supposed to she would have hit me.

When on the road trust no one. Assume everyone is out to get you.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to hang it up, near miss on the bike. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
with phones and in car electronics the roads for sure are more unsafe. I would say you give it a month to think about before making a decision. We can die from pretty well everything including cancer, a bolt of lightening, some weather disaster....the list is endless. If you are happy never riding again though, then that's fine. For me, I don't want to give up riding. I hope to ride till I actually die (ideally from a heart attack in 2 minutes when I am 85 or so). But if you are truly ready to give up riding, then go for it. Just be reminded that the risks of all kinds of other stuff are actually pretty much higher than riding even with all those texting idiots.
Oh man yes. We just rented a BMW SUV for a trip last summer and the amount of superfluous electronics that car had all over the dashboard and steering wheel was appalling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming cycling indoors isn't an option for you? There's really just a few things about your post that tell me u shouldn't just quit.

1) you went on a triathlon forum to ask how to quit lol. It's almost like asking someone if they could convince u to not quit.

2) you have kids and yea being alive is kind of important but I know that if either of my parents stuck with a sport, hell if either of my parents stuck with anything for 20+ years that would motivate me a shit ton. Be an example for your kids and don't show them that they should be scared of the world and let that fear stop them from doing what they want.

3)there are so many safer options for you to continue your cycling with. Maybe take a step back from it and only go in groups like you said, or do some rides on the trainer. Whatever makes you comfortable, but I see no reason to give up completely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for your near miss Zippy: frightening and puts things in perspective. I do all my bike training indoors on a trainer with TrainerRoad. Exception is 140.6 training: for long rides greater than 3 hours, I do 1/2 on trainer, 1/2 outdoors. I try to pick times to ride outdoors that are lower traffic volume times/days and only when weather is good. I enjoy group long runs and summer outdoor swims, so I still can get outside and enjoy the scenery. I feel that I am minimizing risk as best I can in that way. And on race day, I feel that there is some safety in numbers being with fellow racers on the road. Ultimately, as another posted, you need to go with your gut on this. Sorry again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Time to hang it up, near miss on the bike. [IL2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a near miss with a Benz SUV a few years back... locked up rear.. release steer.. lock rear..steer.. grazed driver side mirror with my shoulder, not bad considering I was looking at hood emblem at first. SUV ate the corner on a uphill while I was going down. To make matters worse it was a SAG vehicle for a group ride going the other way on a well know cycling road. Lets just say the club leader/organizers got an ear full from me.

Lucky for me I was not bombing the downhill.. and till this day I don't bomb downhills anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having bounced over the bonnet of a car that turned in front of me almost going through the windscreen, breaking 2 vertebrae, scapula and slash my neck open severing a nerve I'd still rather die living life to the full than live a life fearing death. You could be hit by one of these cars in your car. I understand probably more chance of surviving but potentially more chance of it happening too. I now wear bright colours, try to ride smart and don't think about it. Give it time and see how you feel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yet more justification for my decision to do most of my bike training indoors. Yes, I miss the great outdoors, real hills, real breeze, etc. I just see too many accounts of terrible accidents - between the idiots texting, the well intentioned folks who are just trying to deal with their insanely complicated cars (BMW iDrive system, Mazda infotainment system, etc), the clueless teens driving massive SUVs, the drunk drivers, and the genuine assholes who see how fun it is to spook bicyclists, it's just not safe out there. I have a five month old I hope to walk down the aisle one day...seems a shame to stay fit through triathlon training only to leave a fit corpse behind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My move out of triathlon and towards ultra running just so happens to coincide with a couple of similar incidents for me. Plus, after about 10 years I was getting bored. I still ride occasionally but it's probably only a few times a month and almost always with a group. Most of the time it's very early in the morning when with several high power lights. Of course, I'm running a lot more - and loving it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks, and people (especially drivers) often suck.

And you can choose to punt, to retreat, if that's what you feel is best for you.

I had something very similar happen to me, car overtaking another going down a hill, came into my lane, and had I not been close to the shoulder on my side, it clearly would have taken me out. I was a bit rattled by it, for sure.

But that was over a decade ago, and I've been riding regularly ever since.

I may get scared off the roads one day. But today is not that day.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you would not prefer to call it a day in this sport. I've been participating for just five years, but achieved many goals.....and hardly ever ride outside. 90% of my bike training is done at a local gym spin class or inside on my trainer. Very rarely will I ride outside and if I do I can transport bike to a nearby park that has limited traffic and is mainly used for bike riding. I know a lot of guys here seem to pound the outside pavement, but I'm with you.....just a little too skittish to do outside riding on normal street traffic. Are those options open to you.....a local gym and using an indoor trainer? You might be surprised how well your performance improves/maintains.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you what mean. It's so dangerous out there. After my second crash late last year, just one year after another major crash, I too almost hung it all up. It took many months to get over my fear of being on the roads again - but what I've found to work among the crazy "Bay Area Traffic" (San Francisco area) is to ride on the roads only with a large group of people that I know and use the trainer when alone. I gave up commuting to work by bike out not out of fear, but out of knowing better. Too many drivers are on their cell phones these days. But, being in a larger group, I've found way fewer close calls and overall much more courtesy from drivers. So, if you haven't been with a group for a while, try checking out your local bike shops and see what kind of rides they lead. In my area, we have a very large mix - some shop rides are super slow and casual and others cater towards a racing crowd. Who knows, you might enjoy the compradore too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:

I have a 9 year old, 7 year old and while after 20 years of doing this do define myself as a triathlete, I have lots of other sports passion I can focus on. And would really like to see the second half of my life.

There is no question roads are less safe, or perhaps I have been in them long enough as I age I am increasingly aware that my number could be up soon and I am just not sure if it's worth it anymore.

So I need to perhaps road tide in larger groups more, I have a garmin vario... but is it just time to move on and walk away cold turkey?

Thank you.

Had plenty of near misses, and a couple of hits...always gotten lucky and gotten away from the Reaper bruised, but whole.

Not feeling great about the dangers, and I do sometimes feel apprehension going out. If I am in that State of mind, I actually won't head out.

I want to be 100% ON and confident on all my rides...assertive, head on a swivel, concentrated and focused. It does make a difference.

I see so many people riding that take huge risks and tune out of what they are doing (headphones), and have seen lack of focus and risky riding take it's toll..

Every dicey situation is a lesson:

Do stop completely there and look first. Take this turn carefully. Do not ride that road at that particular time etc.....

Listen to your Instincts... if you feel you do not want to ride again (see above), don't do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it's a factor of where you live, but I go out of my way to avoid anything where the speed differential is too high. Even if there is a wide shoulder, I don't want to deal with big trucks blowing past me at 50, 60mph.

Paved trails are best if you have them, followed by residential roads with good bike lanes and low traffic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rock two Bontrager Flare R's on the back and two Bontrager Ion 700's on teh front. All 4 on flashing mode unless it's dark out. I find the Ion's are huge in getting people to see me from ahead and almost always get at least 3/4 of a lane from people coming up on me. This video is with only one of each on in the front and back. I'm a frugal SOB, but these are completely worth the money.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZNory1vG0FSGXzj12

Quote Reply
Re: Time to hang it up, near miss on the bike. [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
When on the road trust no one. Assume everyone is out to get you.

This. In my riding experience, this is the only way to ride on roads. I ride like I'm invisible and assume every driver doesn't see me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next