Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall
Quote | Reply
OK, it is settled.
https://townhall.com/...bal-warming-n2352326

I wonder if she thinks the scientific theory of gravity has any value, or the germ theory.
For some reason I think she will use science backed treatment if she gets cancer.

Last edited by: Halvard: Jul 10, 17 13:55
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All kinds of fail in that article.

On a related note I hiked to the top of mountain on Sunday and got to share it with a creationist "brain-washing" his young son and a group of teenagers (to their credit they seemed pretty much disinterested). It was creepy.

And I say that as someone who recognizes the metaphysical claims of Christians aren't up for debate so have at it if you want to, but some stuff you can call bullshit on.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which metaphysical claims of Christianity aren't up for debate?

ThisIsIt wrote:
And I say that as someone who recognizes the metaphysical claims of Christians aren't up for debate so have at it if you want to, but some stuff you can call bullshit on.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:

ThisIsIt wrote:

I would say the central ones, that Jesus was the son of God, came here to forgive sin, provide eternal life, etc. There's just no way to prove any of that one way or another.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You seem quite pre-occupied by all this.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it. I first thought that you were referring to a belief that all Christians have the same belief about those central metaphysical tenants and refuse to debate about what they believe is an empirical truth...likely like the creationist guy on the mountain with you.

I wholeheartedly agree with you and that's coming from someone who identifies most closely with Christianity. Something that drives me insane about fundamentalist and mainline Christianity is the approach that the Bible and its contents must be taken as a sort of empirical truth, completely disregarding the deeper meanings of the text that were never intended to be taken that way...not to mention completely ignoring the fact that the text itself is deeply flawed and full of errors, even further ignoring the fact that we don't even have complete manuscripts of any of it and the manuscripts we have aren't in sync. Debating the "literal truth" of that text and belief system is really, in my opinion, the most basic and most boring approach to a topic of shared human experiences that should be deeply rich; it's an approach that makes it a juvenile religion.

ThisIsIt wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

ThisIsIt wrote:

I would say the central ones, that Jesus was the son of God, came here to forgive sin, provide eternal life, etc. There's just no way to prove any of that one way or another.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
You seem quite pre-occupied by all this.

Or I'm bored and it's interesting to talk about shit here with some people, especially Midwest.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is 3 minutes of my life that I will never get back. A multi-tiered troll fail by the author AND Halvard.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because I have all sorts of right and lefty friends, I find myself on both sides of religious issues all the time. Prob defending more often because so many of my lefty buddies are virulently anti-religions. Western religious anyhow. My righty, almost all of them dedicated church-goers, aren't pushy. That said, this Townhall article is really dumb. IMO it's really important, in today's polarized political and cultural environment, to be attracting potential converts from the middle. But this article just alienates all but the most religious. Bad call by the Townhall editors.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Jul 12, 17 17:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Ravi Zacharias was very wise when he said "Never judge a philosophy, or religion, by it's abuse." I'm sure the woman means well but I don't agree with how she interpreted and applied the scriptures. Too many people either don't read their Bible or read the parts that give them warm fuzzies. If God exists primarily to make you happy and prosperous then why did so many of his apostles die horrible deaths and why did Jesus constantly warn people about the trouble and difficulty they would face?

As a Christian I'm not concerned about climate change at all. I don't see any viable solutions and as an individual their is very little I can do so baring a crazy technological break through what's going to happen is going to happen. We know the earth has been warmer and it has been colder and I question how much of an impact man has had on climate change.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you also question the existence of litter in the same way?
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
I question how much of an impact man has had on climate change.

You "question" this without any curiosity for the answer? There's been quite a lot of research, you know, and some pretty robust answers have emerged. I'm curious that you don't seem to agree with science denial driven by (bad) religion, but you are happy to deny the science based on "Meh, whatever, I "question" that."
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
Perseus wrote:

You "question" this without any curiosity for the answer? There's been quite a lot of research, you know, and some pretty robust answers have emerged. I'm curious that you don't seem to agree with science denial driven by (bad) religion, but you are happy to deny the science based on "Meh, whatever, I "question" that."

No, there has been a ton of research into the existence of global warming / climate change which has been observed. There has, on the other hand - only a fraction of research as to how much of the current trends are truly attributable to human activity vs natural occurrences. The assumption is that because humans have been producing more carbon for the last 2 centuries that there is a correlation between the rise in temperature & industrialized activity. One problem, this does violate the old sage - correlation does not necessarily indicate causation. Sharks kill more people when ice cream sales go up.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Bone Idol wrote:
Perseus wrote:

No, there has been a ton of research into the existence of global warming / climate change which has been observed. There has, on the other hand - only a fraction of research as to how much of the current trends are truly attributable to human activity vs natural occurrences. The assumption is that because humans have been producing more carbon for the last 2 centuries that there is a correlation between the rise in temperature & industrialized activity. One problem, this does violate the old sage - correlation does not necessarily indicate causation. Sharks kill more people when ice cream sales go up.

So let's say you're right that the "research" shows correlation but not causation. Are you arguing therefore we should assume the best and not bother trying to reduce CO2 emissions? "Let's just hope it's only correlation!" I guess in another 100 years the next generations will find out who was right, but we'll be dead by then so f#ck 'em.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [JacobB1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JacobB1111 wrote:
Do you also question the existence of litter in the same way?

I think just dropping my trash wherever I happen to be actually has a lower carbon footprint than the efforts to transport it to a landfill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"God uses some divine sarcasm to school us that He alone, not man, commands the weather, from the snow and frost to the wind, rain and lightning."

That is some quality writing right there.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
"God uses some divine sarcasm to school us that He alone, not man, commands the weather, from the snow and frost to the wind, rain and lightning."

She's right! Lightning rods on churches are pure heresy!!
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think a God uses sarcasm a lot. "Yeah. I warm the globe. Yeah sure. Uh huh."
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just curious- but where do you get this completely wrong information? A great deal of climate science research is concerned with determining what portion of the increase in temperatures is natural vs. man-made.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
malte wrote:
Tibbsy wrote:

She's right! Lightning rods on churches are pure heresy!!

So lava isn't really molten rock, it's god's fiery ejaculate! Wow, it all makes sense now!

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a Christian and I believe that man is responsible for global warming and I see no conflict at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your view makes perfect sense. God made the world for man and since man is wicked we would of course break it.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No offense intended, but that's a really simplistic interpretation of what Sanuk could mean. There are several things he could refer to beyond the tired old argument or belief system that "God is good, man is not, man therefore needs God otherwise man f's everything up, but God will eventually make it all right and serve justice against those that need it & rewards to those who've earned it."

Tibbsy wrote:
Your view makes perfect sense. God made the world for man and since man is wicked we would of course break it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

ThisIsIt wrote:

"One way or the other?" That's not how it works. Anyone claiming that "Jesus was the son of God, came here to forgive sin, provide eternal live, etc." has the burden of proof. And if you can't meet that burden, then there's a debate. Or perhaps you're right in that there isn't anything to debate, in that the failure to meet the burden of proof, or come anywhere close to meeting it, ends the debate.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Christians Can’t Believe in Man-Caused Global Warming, article from Townhall [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the whole point of Christianity. The interpretations between religions can get complicated but Christianity is purely the idea that man is broken without God and need his interference and forgiveness.
Quote Reply

Prev Next