Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2018 Trek bikes
Quote | Reply
Looks like the new Treks are being announced. A Madone 9.0 for 3999 and the Trek 7.5 is just the 2018 Speed Concept. The Madone 9.0 gets a regular stem. The SC has the better wheels of the Madone 9.2 and it may have the non UCI bar, but I can't really tell from the photos. Some Di2 upgrades where it was DA mechanical on the Madone 9.5.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The base model of the Speed Concept (formerly 7.5) looks 100x better. Glad to see they went back to the previous fork as well. The wheels are "Aeolus Comp" which I couldn't find any info on in terms of external and internal width (or what hubs they use. They are tubeless ready which is nice if you're into that kind of thing. It looks like the depth is 50mm - perhaps they are a cheaper version of the Aeolus D5 TLR D3. The bike comes stock with 25mm tires so perhaps Trek is listening to the masses. But no disc brakes for BrianD though...

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can be a project one for a 7.5 like it was in 2014 when it first came out too which is good. Wish I went for the Spartacus one at the time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so disappointed

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to beat perfection already 😜
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So there is no more 9 series in the speed concept? No 600 oclv carbon...no fairing under bottom bracket?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "fairing (Speed Fin)" is part of the full aero package, availlable with Project One.

As for the 2018 9 series... well, we are just at the beginning of July 2017... maybe more bikes to be announced later?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I am so disappointed

Me too. Not so much because of discs (though might have been nice), but was hoping for something new. Maybe that is why Carl left Trek, they weren't interested in any new development?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I snagged the last 2014 black 7.5 in my region for a hell of a bargain in march of 2015. Non uci base and fork with the speed fin. The only diff to th 9.9 was the carbon seat post and the carbon itself. Ever since it seems they made the 7.5 less of a bike until maybe this one. Sooo happy with my bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
BryanD wrote:
I am so disappointed

Me too. Not so much because of discs (though might have been nice), but was hoping for something new. Maybe that is why Carl left Trek, they weren't interested in any new development?

This is a just a rumor and I have no idea if its true...

I heard Trek was working on a new beam bike last year but it wasn't any faster than the current SC, so the project was scrapped.

Take that with a grain of salt though.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That wouldn't surprise me just look at the p5-6 and p5-x data. It's basically a wash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought we might see a version with the ISOSpeed seatpost. An IM is a long-ass time to sit on a bike, so the comfort improvement would be beneficial.

Maybe they will add that when they do the disc version ;-/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When the SC Gen2 was released in 2014, they basically said it's an incremental update that mostly improves mechanical aspects (the Gen 2 brakes and bars are far easier to live with) and some small aero tweaks. The first-gen SC is still a very competitive frame, and Trek basically said they won't bother releasing a Gen 3 unless they manage to make it worth their while.

So far, with the P5 and the SC still at the top of the double-diamond heap and the P5X only marginally faster, it wouldn't surprise me to hear this. As that article was titled, "The age of Peak Aero" indeed.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
When the SC Gen2 was released in 2014, they basically said it's an incremental update that mostly improves mechanical aspects (the Gen 2 brakes and bars are far easier to live with) and some small aero tweaks. The first-gen SC is still a very competitive frame, and Trek basically said they won't bother releasing a Gen 3 unless they manage to make it worth their while.

So far, with the P5 and the SC still at the top of the double-diamond heap and the P5X only marginally faster, it wouldn't surprise me to hear this. As that article was titled, "The age of Peak Aero" indeed.

This is the the 3rd or 4th time I've seen someone mention the brakes between gen 1 and 2 within the last week. I have had both gen bikes. The front brake is no different between the two bikes and the rear brakes are basically the same as well except that gen 2 added the centering adjustments (which was awesome). I'm just saying the brakes between the two bikes aren't all that different..... there was really only one change which I happen to love.

Yes the basebar on gen 2 is a lot better with the 3 bolts.

IMO, gen 2 SC was really all about making it easier to work on, travel with, easily (relative to gen 1) make fit adjustments, and hydration/nutrition/flat kit storage. It just happened to be faster as well (but not by much).

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe pricing went down across the Madone board as well. $1000 less for the H2 frame. I think about -$500 on the other Madones. Sweet!

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the color scheme and I think making the 7 series one level might be a good move.

Big fan of the SC 7 series.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only have a Gen 1 and I'm not complaining about the brakes, but my local Trek guys said some adjustments are easier to make on the Gen 2. As you said - an easier-to-live-with bike, the rest is incremental.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing not as good as the Gen 1 bike is the lack of tilt on the extension. I like a straight extension, and I have the bar tilted as much as possible but would like to get a few more degrees out of it. As far as building the bike I really don't think the new one is easier then the old. The rear brake centering adjustment is a big improvement though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My local trek store expected there to be the isospeed on the next generation, not that I think they are anymore in the loop than some on this forum. Is the 2018 actually a new generation or just an updated paint scheme like they do every year and a more interesting wheel option?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [tonyg420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Updated paint and wheels. Same frame

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

I heard Trek was working on a new beam bike last year but it wasn't any faster than the current SC, so the project was scrapped.

But did it have disc brakes?

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Trek bikes [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
I believe pricing went down across the Madone board as well. $1000 less for the H2 frame. I think about -$500 on the other Madones. Sweet!
Looking at their website today the H2-600 frame is $3499 (only $500 less than the complete 9.0 bike), hopefully it will go on sale but maybe not depending how much inventory they have. I've been considering that frameset for a while, but held off mostly because I don't like the idea of the $600 integrated stem/bar setup. So I'm really happy to see the new headset cap on the 9.0 that allows a standard stem and bar to be used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a link to it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I "heard" that they were working on a new bike that wasn't any faster but my source didn't mention the beam part. I think that was an unsubstantiated rumor stemming from the beam bike design study somebody published.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
stevej wrote:

But did it have disc brakes?

I honestly don't know. I did ask that question and my source did not know.

blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next