Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sky has 3D printed Titanium Aerobars. wow.
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Sky has 3D printed Titanium Aerobars. wow. [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some Sky riders. Froome, Thomas, maybe Kyrianka (can't spell that). Most are just using the regular bars, but ya they are impressive! I like how they flatten the backs to fit tightly against the forearms.

So many people obsess about a couple of inches of exposed brake or shift cable and then have even more round aerobar tubing hanging out in the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Sky has 3D printed Titanium Aerobars. wow. [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is interesting how the flattened the top of those extensions.

do you really think the round extensions pressed closely to a rider's forearms are creating more drag than the Sky bars above?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas uses pretty flat bars, but if you look at the edges they look contoured. My round bar comment is mostly about all the people running J bends and holding the tops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just easier to print and lighter.

milesthedog wrote:

do you really think the round extensions pressed closely to a rider's forearms are creating more drag than the Sky bars above?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are gorgeous.
No hardware. I wish I could buy a set.

I wonder if anyone has studied how the pads interface with forearms in the tunnel.
Quote Reply
Re: Sky has 3D printed Titanium Aerobars. wow. [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trexlera wrote:
Those are gorgeous.

I wonder if anyone has studied how the pads interface with forearms in the tunnel.

You could totally buy a set. You just wouldn't want to pay the price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seem to remember Simon Smart saying something about his pads/cradles were usually worth 2 watts, so someone has looked at the effect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

do you really think the round extensions pressed closely to a rider's forearms are creating more drag than the Sky bars above

I think the problem is that when riders get into their truly preferred aero positions, conventional round extensions are rarely pressed closely to the riders forearms.

It appears that 3D printing has done several things here that simple metal extrusion can not easily do. In this case, 3D printing can make for extensions that have serious contortions which means the forearms and extensions can be so close together that they act as a single aero object. Plus, 3D printing allows the cross section of the extension to vary radically (from a sharp semi-circle to a roundish comfortable handle). Pretty cool.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Sky has 3D printed Titanium Aerobars. wow. [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's like the Crux design GB helmets... sure they'll make you one, but there's a reason no other country at the Olympics was using them despite them being "available."

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Yes. Maybe not those pads specifically.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Sky has 3D printed Titanium Aerobars. wow. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

Yes. Maybe not those pads specifically.
I'm sure I'm late to the party, but I suddenly realized what a weird interface it is, and that it could probably be much better.
I suppose it would be tough to get stock solutions for different arms.
Quote Reply
Re: Sky has 3D printed Titanium Aerobars. wow. [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just watched the stage. The aerobar extensions seem to completely disappear under Froome's arms.

Photo link: http://www.steephill.tv/...184707_668231456.jpg

Pantelones wrote:
Trexlera wrote:
Those are gorgeous.

I'm sensing a business opportunity here. I don't think the printing would be the difficult part, it would be get the optimal measurements to hide the extensions from the wind, etc. Oh and the cockpit wouldn't be adjustable but who cares!

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Jul 2, 17 9:55
Quote Reply
Re: Sky has 3D printed Titanium Aerobars. wow. [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3D scan of rider. Then model the bars to fit! Then print. Then machine, polish and paint. Would be very expensive. I made 3d printed engine pistons that cost $9k each. Granted out machining was much much more complicated and precise than what would be needed here... But I did not have to scan anything first. The $9k does not include my time to design them.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Sky has 3D printed Titanium Aerobars. wow. [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Just watched the stage. The aerobar extensions seem to completely disappear under Froome's arms.

Pantelones wrote:
Trexlera wrote:
Those are gorgeous.

I'm sensing a business opportunity here. I don't think the printing would be the difficult part, it would be get the optimal measurements to hide the extensions from the wind, etc. Oh and the cockpit wouldn't be adjustable but who cares!

I have a 3d printer.. but it's for ABS and other plastics.. a Ti printer is another ball game all together.. we are taking lots of $
Quote Reply
Re: Sky has 3D printed Titanium Aerobars. wow. [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess I'll have to fabricate mine by using two sections of gooseneck (like on 1980s microphone stands) and have a friend bend those into place hidden from the wind. Then I'll cast those with bronze just like I used to do in sculpture class, lol.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
Timtek wrote:

Pantelones wrote:
Trexlera wrote:
Those are gorgeous.

I have a 3d printer.. but it's for ABS and other plastics.. a Ti printer is another ball game all together.. we are taking lots of $
Titanium powder needs some extra precautions too, so I'm guessing some places wouldn't want to deal with it at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

Holy $&@!
THose are gorgeous

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trexlera wrote:

Yes.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Sky has 3D printed Titanium Aerobars. wow. [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And... I wish you could share.

damon_rinard wrote:
Trexlera wrote:

Yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm particularly impressed by the narrow 'spacers' below the pads. Beautiful. Notice that the bike beside it seems to have a different cockpit.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
Timtek wrote:

Pantelones wrote:
Trexlera wrote:
Those are gorgeous.

Print in ABS. Wrap in carbon fiber. I make my own bars by just bending aluminum tubing and then wrapping in carbon for strength. It doesn't look super nice, but I gave up on trying to find a fabricator/machinist who would do these little jobs.
Quote Reply
Re: Sky has 3D printed Titanium Aerobars. wow. [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't Sky have this awhile back with Wiggins already?

I work in a 3D printing lab.

Titanium and aluminium powder are explosive, so only certain places can deal with them.
Traditionally, a Metal 3D printer capable of doing something like aerobars would cost you about a million dollars, give or take a hundred k or two.

There are a couple of newer metal printers- specifically the Markforged MetalX and the Desktop Metal costing about ~150k coming to market later this year. Their print beds are too small to print aerobars though, although if you seperated it into two with some clever design it might be doable.

Online service beaureaus like i.materialise will print titanium for you though.Unfortunately, Build size isn't big Enough.
https://i.materialise.com/3d-printing-materials/titanium

An alternative may actually to print in ULTEM. ULTEM is aerospace and engineering grade polymer. WIll still be expensive, just not as much as 3d printed titanium.
Quote Reply
Re: Sky has 3D printed Titanium Aerobars. wow. [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:
Didn't Sky have this awhile back with Wiggins already?

Yes. For his hour record:

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jul 3, 17 4:04
Quote Reply
Re: Sky has 3D printed Titanium Aerobars. wow. [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or print in PVA, wrap in carbon fiber, then wash away the PVA. Boom. Custom carbon fiber parts.

Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next