Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Louisville
Quote | Reply
Thoughts on IM Louisville- is swim fast? I heard the current pushes you....heard bike is rolling, flat run...
Juan
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville [oldhagj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is pretty much as you described except the swim isn't real fast. It is pretty consistent with other IM races. I've done it twice and both times were 1:09 and my IMFL time was 1:07 (with a wetsuit). Bike course is endless rollers but is beautiful and fun! Run is pancake flat and well supported. My first time I finished in 15:... because of poor nutrition (them running out of water on the bike course when it was 99 degree didn't help) so I was out there late but there were still spectators everywhere cheering you on. I'd do it a third time if I was going to do another IM.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim isn't necessarily "fast" but yes the majority of it is downstream. The bike is rolling , shift a lot, you can burn many matches smashing the little rollers. Run is fairly flat, the change of date has resulted in excellent weather so far.

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't underestimate the run. AT the turn around you're met with about a mile long grinder of a false flat. Definitely slows people down a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't "plan" on the swim being easier than any other IM swim but I've heard many say they've been 3-5 minutes faster in Louisville than other places. I'm sure the current can vary. Bike has around 4,500 or so feet of climbing, no steep hills just a few grinders. And any run off a 112 mile bike just never feels THAT flat now does it?

Here's a couple Strava segments for the bike and run. The bike was short last year, I had 110.8 miles in my 920XT which is why my MDOT tattoo will have a flat top if I ever get one ;)

https://www.strava.com/activities/739972138/segments/18160291458

https://www.strava.com/...32892?filter=overall

I went wide for the swim (more towards the middle of the river so didn't draft) in an effort to capture as much current as I could. Not sure how much that helped but I put up a good time and I felt like I didn't go that hard.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won the 45-49 AG there last year.

The swim was fast and a lot of fun.
I got in at the end of the line for the swim. I swam wide - far out in the river, cutting in to occasionally slingshot off of slower swimmers. I had the fastest OA swim 46 something.
(That was likely 5 minutes faster than I would have been without the current).

The bike was also a lot of fun. Lot's of ups and downs, and fast but not dangerous corners. I had one of the top 10 fastest bike splits also.
I think that I trashed my legs, more than necessary, hammering the up hill parts. Be prepared for this. Or better, focus on constant output.

The run was pleasant, a little scenic, a little dull at times. It would have been more enjoyable (and faster), if I hadn't trashed my legs on the bike.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Sep 13, 17 13:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2x Ironman Louisville finisher:

Swim: It can be fast or normal. That is going to be determined by how much rain the area gets in the days leading up to the race. The corps of engineers will release water from the dams in an amount that will protect life & property regardless of an IM race or not......

Bike: Awesome! Nice rolling course & very beautiful.

Run: Flat but not very scenic.

Finish Line: Best in the sport!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beware of the parrots at the used tire shop around the middle of the run course. They are extremely vocal!

Quote | Reply
oldhagj wrote:
Thoughts on IM Louisville- is swim fast? I heard the current pushes you....heard bike is rolling, flat run...
Juan

The swim is fast, especially if you understand that the first part is upstream putting in a little extra effort. Once you get around the bend of the island is where it is most beneficial to put forth the most effort. Then make the bend again and float downstream. Bike is rolling, run is flat.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply