Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [CeeDotA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did that fit in the stem? I thought it could only fit the Giant one. But I guess if the dimensions are the same...?

Also, pics!

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Last edited by: Staer: Jun 19, 17 12:19
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [CeeDotA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CeeDotA wrote:
I switched out the bar altogether, with a Deda Elementi Kronos Due. So much more comfortable than the stock Giant bar.

Staer wrote:
Has anyone switched out the extensions and armpads/cups??

I really want ski-bend or similar, as well more supportive cups. Not sure what to get.
For extensions, I'm looking at Profile Design T4, Zipp Evo, 51 Speedshop (not yet available to public).

Post up a pic!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [JVanderveen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What race wheels and tires would you put on this bike?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trinity-advanced-pro-2-2016

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It can handle wide rims, so don't let that stop you.
The rear brake is a little tricky to access, so I'd suggest matching your training/racing rims (both width and pad material) so you don't have to mess with them every time you switch.

I put Flo 60/disc on mine. I'd also consider the Hed Jet+. Anything else tips the cost/performance balance out of my range. Tri spokes look cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My training wheels are the stock wheels. Are you suggesting Carbon Alloy wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you don't mind messing with the brakes every time, I'd recommend alloy wheels with the same time thickness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
CeeDotA wrote:
I switched out the bar altogether, with a Deda Elementi Kronos Due. So much more comfortable than the stock Giant bar.

Staer wrote:
Has anyone switched out the extensions and armpads/cups??

I really want ski-bend or similar, as well more supportive cups. Not sure what to get.
For extensions, I'm looking at Profile Design T4, Zipp Evo, 51 Speedshop (not yet available to public).

Post up a pic!

Last edited by: CeeDotA: Jul 13, 17 12:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going in for my bike fit on my new Trinity Advanced 2, finally. I have been out of the country.

My question is what upgrades I should throw down for immediately. I have about $1500 to spend on extras and they are giving me 10% on extras.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helmet, wheels, tires, tubes, gels?

Know what you need and shop around first. 10% isn't a huge discount and you could likely get that stuff even cheaper somewhere else.

Good luck on the fit!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best wheels seem to be consumer direct or used. I have a Giro Trinity helmet that will do the trick for now. I was thinking about going for the power meter as I have been training with virtual power on trainerroad. I feel like the Giant Trinity comes pretty well stocked already and am thinking about just getting that garmin power pedals to go with my watch and other garmin gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're going to get a pedal based power meter, I'd go with either the Powertap P1's or wait for the Favero's Assioma. Both are easier to switch between bikes and don't need a torque wrench.

I have the Favero BePro's and they have been great although the installation process is too cumbersome for switching them between my road and tri bikes. Plus I find the accuracy isn't very good if I install them slightly clocked at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [bearlyfinish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got a Pro 2 and having put it together today I have a few questions:

- Plenty of talk about transport but the discussion so far has been limited to bike bags - anyone any experience with hard cases with this bike? The extensions are easy enough to disassemble but would like to understand if I will really need to take the front end completely apart every time I have to fly with it.
- Anyone cut the seat post? Post in as far as it will go but I still need another 1 cm down...

thanks
j
Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [fatman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the post is all the way in, are you sure that it is the correct size?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sizing guide said 'M' based on height (177cm) but I felt like reach on the 'S' was right. LBS suggested that other customers had similar experiences in sizing down. BTW the sizing guide of 'S' does cover my height as well - I dont understand how anyone shorter than me could ride an 'S' with the seat post uncut.

ta
j
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bought this Trinity off eBay. Ultegra Di2. Swapped out the Ultegra rings for Rotor 53/39 Q rings and a sweet kmc gold chain. About to throw some speed play pedals on, supacaz bar tape and swap out the Down tube bottle back to the stock one. Any suggestions on new arm pads?

Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [TNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TNTRI wrote:
Just bought this Trinity off eBay. Ultegra Di2. Swapped out the Ultegra rings for Rotor 53/39 Q rings and a sweet kmc gold chain. About to throw some speed play pedals on, supacaz bar tape and swap out the Down tube bottle back to the stock one. Any suggestions on new arm pads?

Looks great!!

I bought the CeeGee pads for the TriRig Alpha and stuck them on the stock Giant arm cups. Since they are both just large square/rectangle shape, it fit well. Although the CeeGee pads are larger and overlap the Giant arm cups.

Eventually, I purchased the cups and pads for the 3T Vola. I did have to dremmel out the holes on the arm cups to align with the Giant spacing, but I much prefer these arm rests. Great adjustability, fairly cheep, and have a very nice outside curve to keep the forearms/elbows locked in tightly.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Answering my own question re transport. Fits nicely in my canyon standard bike box - but yes the front end needs dissaembly. Now that I have done it a few times I realise it isnt too much effort - just more than my road bike ;-)

One other question (after a very hilly ride yesterday) - has anyone inverted the basebar? Or, rather: is it difficult/can it be done without having to redo the brake cabling? Not really sure how the bar end brake levers work....

thanks
j
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 178cm and went with the Small. Most of the measurements aligned with my fit and geometry of my previous bike, vs the M where only some of the critical points lined up. Still, I was finding myself in between sizes.

I went to my local Giant shop where they had a Medium, and just holding it before hopping on, I could feel it was way too much bike. Small was perfect.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Giant Trinity Advanced Owners Thread [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer,
  1. Did you need the seat post cut (or any spacers put in?) As far as I have read, the post needs the botttom of the seat tube for support.... (or you were the goldilocks case - just right?)
  2. What about the base bar height? Do you have it in the 'lower' or 'upper' position? If 'lower', any climbing experience while not in aero? (For anyone who might not know - from the manual: "By inverting the handlebar, you can choose either the low position or the high position. The height difference between the two is 40mm."
  3. How many spacers (40mm maximum) have you got on for the extensions?

Not trying to use your numbers - just interested in other's experiences on this bike.

rgds
j
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The seat post did not need to be cut. It is adjustable, so not sure why you would need to cut it?

I am using the low position of the bar. Have not tried to flip it.

I have one spacer under the extensions, the largest one (not sure how many mm that is). Extensions are also as far forward as possible. Pads can go inwards a bit still, which I may try out to get narrower. Pretty low position but still comfortable and powerful.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to switch the extensions to ski bend too. Looks like the 2018 models come standard with a ski bend (Giant has been listening to it's customers) so I should be able to order a set through my shop.

I am having difficulty placing my Garmin though. My extensions are as narrow as possible and turned inwards making them even narrower, and this conflicts with the Zipp/Sram Garmin mount I have. Gets in the way of a relaxed hand position on the tips.

They need to make a stem mount and/or a mount that can be attached to the front water bottle. You would still be able to see it clearly in front of you, but it wouldn't get in the way of the bars.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fatman wrote:

One other question (after a very hilly ride yesterday) - has anyone inverted the basebar? Or, rather: is it difficult/can it be done without having to redo the brake cabling? Not really sure how the bar end brake levers work....

thanks
j

You will have to recable the brakes. First, the brake cables would get twisted up as your flip the bar 180 degrees. Also, the right brake would now be on the left, so your brakes would be reversed.

I will say, the cabling of this bike takes a bit of patience.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are handy with 3D modeling, you design a custom mount and have it printed. Even if not, it is not too too hard.

The software to model is free (fusion 360 is free for a year for hobbyists) and printing it out would just cost you shipping...just send me the file!

I'd imagine the easiest would be zip tie mounting a crossbar that would nestle perfectly between your bars. You would then glue a garmin mount to that. A little fancier would include a garmin mount in the print. Fanciest would wrap around the bars and screw clamp.

Edit: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:292539 That is a pretty easy piece to modify to match whatever your bar spacing needs to be.
Last edited by: dfroelich: Jul 26, 17 12:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did change the extensions for the zipp vuka evo 110. However, I had do do all the gear cabling which was't fun but totally worth it in my opinion.

Here is a picture from last weekend, my first race with it where you can see the new extensions. Super comfortable and super fast (for my standards) ;)
Last edited by: Coy17a: Apr 27, 18 11:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size wrench is needed to adjust the saddle? For the nut that is directly underneath the saddle. Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next