Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Dembo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schöne Grüsse nach Bad Vilbel und ein neues Shiv kommt sowieso erst 2019 und das Shiv war immer seiner Zeit voraus.
Ich bin immer noch ein Fan der Trinkversorgung und ich denke das nächste Shiv wird das leider nicht mehr haben, da nicht UCI Konform.
Hoffentlich gibt es wenigstens eine viable Option ohne sich bei Third Party Herstellern bedienen zu müssen.
Bez. Räder ist es doch gut, dass wir alle unseren individuellen Hersteller selbst wählen können. Ich fahre z.B. Zipp 808 oder 404 und auch Scheibe hinten bei Bedarf und finde das gut so.
Dafür ist das Shiv von Grundauf nicht zu teuer und lässt Platz für den eigenen Geschmack.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ogni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi ogni,

I'll keep this in english so people can follow along and yes, you are correct: the bike is from Bad Vilbel, although I am based in Frankfurt. I thought about Canyon (as everybody in Germany does), but in the end due to my size the best place to invest for me was in a LBS that offers excellent bike fitting.

True, I am loving the hydration system - even refueling during the race works quite well. 20oz / 600ml isn't a lot but it is so convenient that I am getting pretty good at hydrating before getting too thirsty.

Come to think about it, I agree with your points regarding the wheels: It is something that most people will upgrade anyway at some point so let them start with something half decent so it is an easy decision to update. For example when shopping around I noticed quite a few 3k bikes that offer e.g. an Ultegra group as opposed to the Shiv's 105. First of all the difference isn't that big and second I am planning to upgrade to a Di2 at some point so the 105 is the perfect balance right now and gives me some breathing room to save a few pennies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the chance to get all my Shiv's for 50% off and i had a few. A lot dealers wanted to get rid of it as it doesn't sell so well.
I replaced almost on all the shifting with DI2 and would never look back.
I mostly bought the parts via eBay for 100.- a piece so you get a complete DI2 for about 500.-
Add installation at your LBS and you might get to a 600.- which is not to expensive and saves you some Watts and Headaches during Training and Races. Just don't forgett charging the battery 😂😂😂
Canyon is not on my Radar. It is a very geometric design and Frodo races it because he lost the sponsorship from Specialized.
There are still a lot Pros crashing bikesplits with the "old" Shiv. As you said its good for larger people as the frame itself is large.
I use a M Size and sold a L Size to someone larger the me as it did not really fit even if we adjusted the pieces to the M Fittings. I'm 182cm.
When I'm in Germany at my parents, i have a Shiv waiting for me as the one i use over here and i' m very much happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had this bike for a few years now it is a 2012 that I have been modifying and upgrading since I got it. Since I am a gearhead and for no other reason than I like new bikes I wanted to upgrade this year to a new bike. Instead I decided to keep the Shiv update it to the E-tap and 11sp. Plus I want to wait till Spec comes out with a new bike. In addition this bike really really fits me well and there is no way another bike is going to make me any faster.

I rode the bike with the E-tap for the first time this morning couldn't be happier with the upgrade it really is cool. The HED disc is also a 10sp in which I used one of Lasko's Ultegra Cassette for the 11sp conversion. I modified the aerostem for the BTA mount. I also added the Magura brakes which I got off ebay and modified the front to work. With the E-tap I now have basebar shifting with hyd Magura brakes and did not have to cobble together a DI2 shifter to work. I got a lot of info and parts off this thread, thanks

[URL=http://s216.photobucket.com/...zpse1rkyisi.jpg.html][/url]
[URL=http://s216.photobucket.com/...zpsfudtnw8s.jpg.html][/url]
[URL=http://s216.photobucket.com/...zpsoeqfkess.jpg.html][/url]
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How well does the lasko upgrade work?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [andrewblerner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flawless, went right on like any other cassette and the whole system shifts better than anything I've used before. I have an Ultegra cassette and chain with S-works chain rings, set up was smooth and easy with E-tap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mlyonsdc wrote:
I have had this bike for a few years now it is a 2012 that I have been modifying and upgrading since I got it. Since I am a gearhead and for no other reason than I like new bikes I wanted to upgrade this year to a new bike. Instead I decided to keep the Shiv update it to the E-tap and 11sp. Plus I want to wait till Spec comes out with a new bike. In addition this bike really really fits me well and there is no way another bike is going to make me any faster.

I rode the bike with the E-tap for the first time this morning couldn't be happier with the upgrade it really is cool. The HED disc is also a 10sp in which I used one of Lasko's Ultegra Cassette for the 11sp conversion. I modified the aerostem for the BTA mount. I also added the Magura brakes which I got off ebay and modified the front to work. With the E-tap I now have basebar shifting with hyd Magura brakes and did not have to cobble together a DI2 shifter to work. I got a lot of info and parts off this thread, thanks

[URL=http://s216.photobucket.com/...zpse1rkyisi.jpg.html][/url]
[URL=http://s216.photobucket.com/...zpsfudtnw8s.jpg.html][/url]
[URL=http://s216.photobucket.com/...zpsoeqfkess.jpg.html][/url]

Can you share specifics on how you modified the stem to mount the BTA bottle? That looks really sharp and clean.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When looking for alternatives for the BTA after the aero bar recall/update I purchased a Speedfill stem cap bottle mount to try and make work. It didn't fit.

https://speedfil.com/...stems/stem-mount-kit

I used all but the stem mount piece and marked the aerostem cap drill and tapped two holes where I wanted them and mounted the BTA set up. It can easily be duplicated without buying the Speedfill set up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mylonsdc, nice setup. I've been contemplating the E-Tap as the next upgrade to my Shiv as I really like the bike.
Thanks for sharing.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Hueychief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hueychief wrote:
mylonsdc, nice setup. I've been contemplating the E-Tap as the next upgrade to my Shiv as I really like the bike.
Thanks for sharing.

Just put e-tap on mine. I was 10 speed mechanical. I always held off doing it because i couldn't justify it because it won't make me faster. What I quickly realized is that with the easier shifting and blips on the horns, I can hold a more steady power number because its easier to shift. So...if you are looking for an excuse to go e-tap, there you have it. Oh...and its bad ass too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Hueychief wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

Just put e-tap on mine. I was 10 speed mechanical. I always held off doing it because i couldn't justify it because it won't make me faster. What I quickly realized is that with the easier shifting and blips on the horns, I can hold a more steady power number because its easier to shift. So...if you are looking for an excuse to go e-tap, there you have it. Oh...and its bad ass too.

I couldn't agree more and this is my exact experience. I only rode 50 miles on it so far but over rolling terrain I definitely saw a difference in the way I shifted and being able to hold a more steady cadence and power. It might not help much if you race IM Florida but I can't see it not being a benefit when I do IMLP70.3 in Sept!

Definitely worth the upgrade. For me I really like the Magura brakes and DI2 doesn't offer an easy solution to base bar shifting with them. Having the buttons by the brakes makes a big difference being able to shift and brake at intersections and turns.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This might be a stupid question but after a casual inspection of the Specialized Aero, side pull brakes (stock) I was unable to find any form of quick release lever/switch. Do I have to unhook the braking cable in case of a flat tire?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never ever had to do this even with 24mm Clinchers. It goes in and out without a lever.
But there is no lever and it has to be unhooked like you do on a Mountainbike with wheelbrakes if you realy need to extend completely.
I anyway after a few years now with stock brakes decided to go with the Tririg Aero Brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well since we are showing off our Shivs, sorry about the lump on it spoiling the view!!! :D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I thought so - just wanted to make sure there isn't a secret lever somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Well since we are showing off our Shivs, sorry about the lump on it spoiling the view!!! :D
Mario, the fact that you're actually out on your bike makes you more worthy than all the couch crawlers. Looking good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ever tested (or has Specialized published) aero data on the Shiv with and without the Fuelcell Aero Storage box?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario what aerobar setup is that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's the 3t Brazza 2

Profile design aero stem -17deg 90mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fuelcell is neutral to Aerodynamzs so no pro no con
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another question: A friend showed me his badly scratched Canyon after he had an chain drop in the bottom bracket area.

Any recommendations for chain catchers for the Shiv to prevent a similar accident?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never used but K-Edge has some used by pro team riders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ta, I'll look into the K-Edge - slightly nervous about fiddling with my front derailleur, might just ask my LBS in Bad Vilbel ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just Got ETAP, love it. Set up is clean, and front end has nothing wasted for wind to hit.
I debated 1X, ended up with 2X, glad, as I shift way more now than ever before.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also use the Xlab Kompact as BTA :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next