Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

skin irritation
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

So I've been training since January, and LOVING it. The only downside is that I've been developing red patches on my face, which look like burns. I think it might have to do with my pool swims (I believe the pool is saline), despite the fact that I rinse my face right afterward. Has anyone else had this happen? Are there any products you can put on your face before swimming, to prevent irritation?

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Island Geekette
7 half marathons, 30k Around the Bay, Philadelphia marathon, 2 Gran Fondos
....and then I got bored. Why not do a tri?
Quote Reply
Re: skin irritation [IslandGeekette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is your pool outside? Are you sure the patches aren't related to sun exposure?
Quote Reply
Re: skin irritation [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pool is inside, but I've been wondering if it could be sun related, and the pool is just making it more obvious. The patches are across my forehead, and in my tear tracks from my eyes. I suppose it's possible that I'm sweating through my sunscreen...?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Island Geekette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are the patches itchy or painful?

Probably more likely sun-related than saline. I would use a good broad-spectrum sunscreen such as zinc oxide prior to sun exposure. I like Neutrogena's sunscreen line, although the zinc-based products leave a residue that sticks around for a while. I've also used and liked Sun Bum and Elta MD.

Could also be you're allergic to your goggles although that seems less likely if the patches are on your cheeks.
Quote Reply
Re: skin irritation [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response.

The red patches are itchy and flaking, and are bright red when I get out of the pool.

They are all over my forehead, and in the tear tracks from my eyes, but strangely, not on my cheeks.

I've been using a broad spectrum SPF 50 from Dermologica but maybe it isn't strong enough to withstand the sweating. I'll check out the Neutragena zinc sunscreen. Thanks!

Island Geekette
Last edited by: IslandGeekette: Jun 22, 17 9:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm. Sounds more like an allergy/irritation. Maybe try a different brand of goggles for a week or two and see if that helps? A lot of people are allergic to the gasket material, actually. Or try a different pool and see if that makes a difference?

In the meantime, some hydrocortisone might help.

SPF 50 is definitely strong enough. I like to experiment with different sunscreens because I really have noticed a difference between brands. Also, some people are allergic to their sunscreen (zinc is always a safe bet, though)...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you've come up with an answer, but I was wondering if it could be a latex allergy? Or whatever compound is in your swim cap and google strap.

Just a thought...
Quote Reply
Re: skin irritation [bluepoint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi - no, I haven't figured it out yet. I didn't swim for the past week, and there's a little reduction in the redness, but no idea yet. I'm going to look for alternatives to my usual goggles. I use a silicone cap.

Island Geekette
Quote Reply