Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Robert Plant Reincarnated? Greta Van Fleet (Highway Tune)
Quote | Reply
These kids (and they all look like babies ;-) hail from Frankenmuth, Michigan, a town mostly famous for Christmas decorations and chicken dinners. It's about 100 miles north of our town, though we definitely don't have these kinds of rockers around here. ;-)

The lead singer is no doubt the long lost son of Robert Plant. And man, the Zep influence is strong in him. LOL!

Greta Van Fleet - Highway Tune - YouTube

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Jun 22, 17 5:42
Quote Reply
Re: Robert Plant Reincarnated? Greta Van Fleet (Highway Tune) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Technically speaking, doesn't Robert Plant have to be dead to be reincarnated?

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Robert Plant Reincarnated? Greta Van Fleet (Highway Tune) [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
Technically speaking, doesn't Robert Plant have to be dead to be reincarnated?

Not in music. ;-)

How about "cloned," then? LOL!

Quote Reply
Re: Robert Plant Reincarnated? Greta Van Fleet (Highway Tune) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No kidding, a Robert Plant on coke. I did like the music though, is that a real garage they are playing in? Now they just need to slow down the beat a fraction, put a sock in the singers pants(hanging right as I recall) and grow some hair!!

Thanks for the link, I will have to look more into their music and see if this is just a one off...
Quote Reply
Re: Robert Plant Reincarnated? Greta Van Fleet (Highway Tune) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
No kidding, a Robert Plant on coke. I did like the music though, is that a real garage they are playing in? Now they just need to slow down the beat a fraction, put a sock in the singers pants(hanging right as I recall) and grow some hair!!

Thanks for the link, I will have to look more into their music and see if this is just a one off...

Hahahaha! Singer needs to learn how to pull a rose out of his waistband. ;-)

The drummer can be full-on Bonham if he plays just a little bit more behind the beat. LOL!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear god, how did these guys fly under my radar as a music freak and Michigander? Un-freaking-real. I cannot believe 2 of them just graduated high school. I've slowed down my new music exploration the last few months and this proves that I missed something special. Thanks for sharing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow - as a SE Michigander great to see some more awesome talent emanating from Michigan. How does this happen in Frankenmuth?

http://www.teamodz.com
http://www.endurancelab.fit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The drummer can be full-on Bonham if he plays just a little bit more behind the beat. LOL!

Check out his opening salvo in Flower Power. Maybe just a little Bonzo influence, eh?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Volume 11!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the real question is are they on vinyl yet?? Listened to a few more songs and it is not a one off. The Zep influence is unmistakable but their originality still comes through. I want one for my turntable...
Quote Reply
Re: Robert Plant Reincarnated? Greta Van Fleet (Highway Tune) [trisuppo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trisuppo wrote:
Wow - as a SE Michigander great to see some more awesome talent emanating from Michigan. How does this happen in Frankenmuth?

IKR? The wife and I go up to Frankenmuth all the time and let's just say that it's not known as as a straight-up RAWK band hotbed. Maybe a polka music hotbed, but not rock music. ;-) ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Robert Plant Reincarnated? Greta Van Fleet (Highway Tune) [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:

Check out his opening salvo in Flower Power. Maybe just a little Bonzo influence, eh?

Just a little bit 'o Moby Dick in that one. YOW! ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Robert Plant Reincarnated? Greta Van Fleet (Highway Tune) [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MLCRISES wrote:
Volume 11!!!!!!!

All the way. I was playing it for my 77-year-old dad and even he said "Hey, turn that up." ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Robert Plant Reincarnated? Greta Van Fleet (Highway Tune) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
So the real question is are they on vinyl yet?? Listened to a few more songs and it is not a one off. The Zep influence is unmistakable but their originality still comes through. I want one for my turntable...

I'm going to check this one record store in Dearborn (around where Tom D. had/has (?) his store) to see. Nothing like vinyl. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4 songs isn't enough. These kids need to get busy writing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. These kids were definitely weaned on LZ. Singer has a strong Plant influence, and I agree with sphere's take on the drummer channeling his inner Bonzo where he has a similar sound/style.

In Stephen Davis' "Hammer of the Gods", Bonham would line the insides of his drums with aluminum foil and use the biggest/heaviest sticks he could find so that in his words "it sounded like cannon fire".

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to check this one record store in Dearborn (around where Tom D. had/has (?) his store) to see. Nothing like vinyl. :-) //

Let me know what you find, if from these kids I want one..

And you really must be a LV hermit, Tom D. hasn't had a shop there for something like 15 to 20 years? He was with Tri sport in AZ for awhile and a couple other odd jobs in the industry, not sure where he is or up to at the moment. Saw a Facebook post where he was banging on people that still lived in CA, so he probably is in Texas or somewhere like that..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe they'll hook up with that other Michigan rockin' great...

Ted Nugent

(ducking for cover)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I'm going to check this one record store in Dearborn (around where Tom D. had/has (?) his store) to see. Nothing like vinyl. :-) //

Let me know what you find, if from these kids I want one..

And you really must be a LV hermit, Tom D. hasn't had a shop there for something like 15 to 20 years? He was with Tri sport in AZ for awhile and a couple other odd jobs in the industry, not sure where he is or up to at the moment. Saw a Facebook post where he was banging on people that still lived in CA, so he probably is in Texas or somewhere like that..

The last time I bought anything from Tom D.'s shop it was in '95 when I was home on leave. A pair of Syntace aerobars. That's when he was in that little, LITTLE off-street shop. It was down in that area where the record store is/was. I'll find out tomorrow. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they are so young!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great description of Frankenmuth! Used to go once a year.
Winner how all the hard core Lutherans are dealing with it.
Town also had a good brewery there. Did a cool dark German style beer.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Robert Plant Reincarnated? Greta Van Fleet (Highway Tune) [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Great description of Frankenmuth! Used to go once a year.
Winner how all the hard core Lutherans are dealing with it.
Town also had a good brewery there. Did a cool dark German style beer.

I forgot about the breweries. I think I remember, way back in the 70s, a Carling Black Label ("Hey Maybel, Black Label") brewery in town.

Quote Reply
Re: Robert Plant Reincarnated? Greta Van Fleet (Highway Tune) [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched an interview they just did a couple of weeks ago. They're looking to release a second EP soon and then get the full album out this autumn, after a summer of playing festivals. Three of the four are brothers and the fourth is a friend from the area, so as family hopefully they're able to stay at this for a long time if they keep producing this kind of music. And they sound like level headed kids from the interview I saw. So good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was at one time in the late 80s and 90s a Frankenmuth brewery. Early micro.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Robert Plant Reincarnated? Greta Van Fleet (Highway Tune) [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I watched an interview they just did a couple of weeks ago. They're looking to release a second EP soon and then get the full album out this autumn, after a summer of playing festivals. Three of the four are brothers and the fourth is a friend from the area, so as family hopefully they're able to stay at this for a long time if they keep producing this kind of music. And they sound like level headed kids from the interview I saw. So good!

Safe to say they're not the Jonas Brothers, then. ;-)

Quote Reply

Prev Next