Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Malaysia
Quote | Reply
Anyone done IM Malaysia? Any tips/advice? TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Malaysia [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Most people find it hot as hell (it's also really humid). You have to watch out for flying monkeys on the bike course. Most people also think the hills on the bike are brutal, but they're really not, especially compared to many of the European IMs. Personally, I love the race and the course and am very happy it's continuing. Good chance I'll be there this year (I'm from Indonesia and split my time between there and Australia).

Where do you live and what's your experience training/racing near the equator?

Are you looking to just finish, or for some performance race/KQ/etc?

Yanti Ardie of Y Tri Multisport & Majick Juice for lasting critter defense & skin soothing
~ World Open Water Swimming Association Coach & Official
~ IRONMAN Certified Coach (Founding Member)
~ Triathlon Australia Professional Development Coach
~ 3 by the Sea: my Journey from death to ...
Quote Reply
Re: Malaysia [IndoIronYanti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IndoIronYanti wrote:
Yep. Most people find it hot as hell (it's also really humid). You have to watch out for flying monkeys on the bike course. Most people also think the hills on the bike are brutal, but they're really not, especially compared to many of the European IMs. Personally, I love the race and the course and am very happy it's continuing. Good chance I'll be there this year (I'm from Indonesia and split my time between there and Australia).

Where do you live and what's your experience training/racing near the equator?

Are you looking to just finish, or for some performance race/KQ/etc?

I live in South Africa. Most of my racing has been here, at altitude in Johannesburg.

Def not looking to KQ, but would like to go sub 12 or so.. I went 1209 at Ironman South Africa. But maybe this is not the best race to go for a time bc of the humidity, heat, and hills?

What is the vibe like, and is there complete road closure? Are the locals interested/supportive?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't expect to record a PB in Malaysia. I did it a few years ago and was off my usual times in Europe by 2 hours (in comparison with IM Nice for example) / 2.5 hours (IM Switzerland). The heat and humidity killed me on the run. Needing more time to complete the run than the ride was a bit of a shock!
By the way, the atmosphere was brilliant, with locals interested and supportive during the race, and very friendly during my stay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like tof said ... this is definitely not a PB race. If you did ~12 at SA be prepared for 14ish in Malaysia. Also, yes, the vibe is incredible. There's nothing like Asian hospitality and friendliness. Langkawi is a bit out of the way, which is a good thing, because you get much more of the local culture vibe too. I really think it's one of the best destination full IM (branded) races.

Most of the roads are completely closed (but watch out for the monkeys! Not kidding!). There's a section through town (you'll go through it twice) where the roads are half-open, but the traffic control is excellent. It's truly nothing to worry about.

You in SA have the same problem I do when in Perth: in the Southern hemisphere we're training through our winter for a rather hot-as-hell race. The altitude will serve you well for training; if you're able to get some heat training in (bundle up? turn the heater on with a humidifier while on the trainer?)

Yanti Ardie of Y Tri Multisport & Majick Juice for lasting critter defense & skin soothing
~ World Open Water Swimming Association Coach & Official
~ IRONMAN Certified Coach (Founding Member)
~ Triathlon Australia Professional Development Coach
~ 3 by the Sea: my Journey from death to ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you will love it. I came from a GB winter and had a plan to use camelbaks loaded with iced water for each lap of the bike. Swapped the camelbak after each lap. I am assuming they are still using 2 laps.
The chilled water on tap really worked. I also took drinks from the aid stations. I had a remarkable race considering the lack of preparation british winter and a bad cold for 3 weeks before the race. I swear it was the copious amount of iced water that made the difference, Its been a few years now but I remember II went 10.40 ish despite my newbie approach. Enjoy Malaysia
Quote Reply
Re: Malaysia [cantswim24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds good -I am looking forward to it! Thanks for the input.
Quote Reply