Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? June 19 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 19 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am at my parents' house in Maine!!!

I didn't make goals last week because I was traveling. Workouts were

M: 7.5 mi run (30 min tempo @ 8:27 pace) + 10 min. Jacob's Ladder - Salt Lake City, UT
T: 6.5 mi run - Limon, CO
W: 8.3 mi run (4 mi progressive 8:27, 8:20, 8:13, 8:07) + 10 min hotel pool swim - Stillwater, OK
T: 7.5 mi run - Stillwater, OK
F: off (arrived in Maine at 3 am)
S: 3.8 mi run (moderate + strides) + 600 yd swim --- Maine!!!
S: 7.2 mi run (10k @ 8:13 pace) + 30 min stairmaster --- Maine!!!

totals a teeny bit of swimming, 30 min stairmaster, 40.8 mi run.

This week: swim meet Saturday, which should be interesting :-) I have signed up for all the free events (50, 100, 200, 500, 1000) which is a high volume of racing for the looow volume of swimming I've been doing. I think it will be fun. I love the 1000. And the 500. :-) also, bike 3x and day off from running.

Hope everyone had a good week.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! Maine!! And a swim meet!? Impressive....

Last week: light week for me - and much needed. It was hot as blazes so didn't get my long run or ride in over the weekend.

Swim x2
Bike x3
Run x3

I have a heavy week ahead of me. I feel pretty recovered so I'm ready to ramp it up one more time before my A race.

In other news, inspired by a thread on the main forum, I hopped onto BestBikeSplit and found my A race course and imported it into TrainerRoad and did it on Saturday. That was some pretty cool technology. I did pretty good (it is a hilly ride). I think my race predictions will be pretty close. It was a nice confidence boost to ride the 'hills" in the trainer.

Back to work!!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a decent week. I made all my main goals: I managed 31.5 miles of running, which gives me hope that I might just make my goal of 100 running miles for the month after all. I rode on the trainer once (breaking in TrainerRoad!) and outside once. I swam once although I had the beginnings of a panic attack in the freaking pool, wtf, but instead of bailing I did kick sets for 45 minutes so at least I did SOMEthing. I also did weights twice, yay!

I still didn't do any yoga or prehab though. Ugh. I just ran out of time and had to prioritize. I'm taking next Monday and Tuesday off, so I won't have to cram in all my errands and weekly food prep on Sunday. That will be nice.

Goals for this week are about the same: Four runs for 30-ish miles; two bikes, one inside and one outside; one swim (maybe tonight if the storms hold off); two weights sessions. Squeeze in some yoga and prehab. Get some relaxing in and get enough sleep.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, hello. Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik. I'm glad you've made it to Maine and wish you luck on your swim meet.

My goals from last week were
Quote:
"... it's back to business on both the training and good eating fronts (at least until the other wedding I'm attending this weekend which is between a chef and a food writer) ... I'm leaving for the other wedding on Thursday night but I'm hoping to get in two solid bike sessions (one here and one there), two more runs, and another swim. I could really use some yoga but I just don't know when I'll fit it in. CdA is less than two weeks away -- eek!"

I didn't get back to business on either front. I only swam once, I biked twice (neither went well), I ran three times, a did a much needed yoga class while in Portland. I was rear-ended on the freeway before I left town -- I am fine but my car is not and get it sorted impacted my schedule and caused a lot of stress.

Both weddings were a lot of fun but all the traveling has wiped me out and changed my sleep and diet. CdA 70.3 is less than a week away and rather than feeling excited, I feel exhausted and am dreading another trip. Mentally, I just want to relax with my dog and sleep in my own bed. Physically, I am feeling soft and sluggish. I'm hoping thing perk up before the race.

I'm tapering so my goals this week are just to get my act together for Sunday's race -- a bike, a swim, a run, a yoga class, daily p/rehab and then a race. Cross your fingers it's not too hot up there.

I hope everyone has a great week of training!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 19 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I swam once although I had the beginnings of a panic attack in the freaking pool, wtf, but instead of bailing I did kick sets for 45 minutes so at least I did SOMEthing.

sorry to hear - was the panic attach trigger related to the swimming?

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 19 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a great race!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

sorry to hear - was the panic attach trigger related to the swimming?
Yes, late last season I was starting to hyperventilate during pool swims and had to DNF my first race ever because of a panic attack in the lake. I figured it was a complication from some other health issues I was figuring out at the time, so I took some time off swimming and was doing OK easing back into it this season, but Friday was the first time this year I tried to swim in the outdoor pool I have access to. Maybe I associated the lake panic attack with the fresh air? I worked hard to overcome my fear of OWS and have completed many tri swims and peaceful lake swims with no problems so this is very frustrating. Plus most "swimming anxiety" advice and articles focus on OWS but... this is happening in the pool.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you made a resilient move in getting in and kicking. Sidestroke might be another good option, as it's swimming w/o your face in the water.

Is the outdoor pool really cold? I believe some panic attacks are caused when the cold water makes people start to breathe differently, and that triggers it. I know our outdoor pool is super cold this time of year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
swim x 1: win
bike x 1: win
run x 5: win with 6 / ~64km
core/strength x 4: win
rehab exercises x 5: FAIL with 4
...but I foam rolled!

It's so green and lush out on the trails right now.

There were threats of thunderstorms all weekend long, but I managed to avoid them during Saturday's 2.5hr trek through Huron Natural Area. Couldn't avoid the sweltering heat and swarms of mosquitoes, but it was good acclimation training for Limberlost.

Sunday I got caught in a short but vigorous thundershower that started right as I left my car, but ended in a rainbow about 20mins later.

Some of the locals looked a little grumpy about the weather, too.

But the sun did some out and light up the woods in gold as it sank toward the horizon.

Like a candlelight dinner for some.

Then fading into pink and orange as the week drew to a close.

This week's goals:
swim x 1
bike x 1
run x 5
core/strength x 4
rehab exercises x 5
foam roll x 1

I finally have a weekend with NOTHING scheduled - our last until the end of July - so I'm going to try to relax and get some sleep for once.

Quote | Reply
I can't say much about walk/jog and cycling, because my Garmin died with all my data on it. :-(

I was on vacation and was able to stay pretty active. Made a strategic error, though. We were renting a cottage not too far from home. For the return trip home, I decided to cycle part of the way back, and have hubby pick me up at a designated spot (or sooner if he caught up with me in the car). I made a wrong turn, and by the time I had doubled back, he caught up to me. He looked very unhappy. In the ensuing conversation it became clear that he was very worried about what he saw with me riding on the road with cars. Until he saw it this time, I don't think he quite understood what it meant for me to take my bike out for a ride. So that's going to add a new dimension to some of our discussions....

In other news, I've started up with a new PT. I had plateaued with the work I was doing with previous one. She was great. However, we (me, her and my pain management rehab doc) all agreed it was time to try something different. It's been very frustrating. I just can't get past a walk/jog, and my swimming sucks from being so unbalanced. The bright spot is cycling. With more contact points than running or swimming, making some adjustments to my setup, and moderating the intensity, I'm able to ride with only a minimal amount of pain.

Mistress K, please keep up the picture stories. I look forward to them every week.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 19 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
riding on the road with cars.

(note: I have no affiliation with Trek or any other cycling companies)
I got a TREK catalogue in the mail yesterday that had a LOT of interesting info (and products ;-) about how to be visible and decrease collisions. Maybe some shopping for more lights and stuff would make him feel better. I'm sure you have some stuff already, but they have LOADS of amazing things.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out but I think that's not going to do it for him. I've got high vis clothing I wear on the bike. The way I got the conversation started was "so, could you see me well? was I visible from a distance?" His response was "I saw all the cars swerving around you...."

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming update. I went to the indoor pool last night and swam with no problems or freakouts. Thinking about it more, I think I am more relaxed at the indoor pool. Last season I took a break from swimming because I kept hyperventilating and having a lot of foot and calf cramps, but I was dealing with health issues at the time and figured those symptoms were just manifestations of the health issues. The indoor pool is four lanes dedicated to lap swimming (so if I get a cramp, there is a 50% chance there is a wall RIGHT THERE) with a dedicated lifeguard; the kids and noodlers hang out in the warmer family pool. The outdoor pool has kept both wall areas for lounging or kids playing, so laps are swum in the middle, and I think not having a wall nearby made me nervous. Plus I'm sure the lifeguards are more worried about the kids playing than a lap swimmer, and that contributed to my nerves. I know for a fact the indoor pool lifeguards pay attention because one came running over on my last hyperventilation attack to make sure I was OK (and honestly, I was impressed!).

I'm still not sure why this anxiety of imminent foot and calf cramps is hitting me all of a sudden, since I have done a dozen lake swim triathlons and a million lake swims, but I am feeling LESS like this a lost cause and I need to take up duathlons instead. I am reminding myself, triathlon will always be there, if you have to take a year off to learn to swim all over again that's OK.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 19 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, I seriously love that pic of frog/toad. I think they're adorable, but that one does look grumpy!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi: not sure if you are a group that all know each other or just 'know' each other on line. If it's the former I feel like I'm interrupting a conversation of friends.
Tapering for CanadaMan/Woman extreme triathlon (Caxtri.com) in 16 days to be held in Lac Megantic, QC. Gentle workouts this week.
Monday off, Tuesday swim run, Wednesday swim bike, Thursday bike run. Overnight work so I'll rest today. Maybe 90 k tomorrow on the bike.
Of 100 individual entries in this inaugural event, only about 20 women. Hope I meet some kindred spirits ( other crazies? ). If I survive I might encourage some of you to try it next year!
Last edited by: niagirl: Jun 23, 17 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 19 Edition [niagirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi: not sure if you are a group that all know each other or just 'know' each other on line. If it's the former I feel like I'm interrupting a conversation of friends.

Some people have met in real life, but I only know everyone from online. Welcome!!!

The Caxtri looks BEAUTIFUL!

Quote Reply