Over 30mph for 100 miles. Incredible!
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Duggleby 100 mile TT new record [narcomoeba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely insane!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funnily enough that's just around the corner from my parents, I'm heading there next week. I'll make a point of steering clear of the A11, i think they'll need to resurface it after this dude ripped the top layer of...
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Duggleby 100 mile TT new record [oakie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oakie wrote:
Funnily enough that's just around the corner from my parents, I'm heading there next week. I'll make a point of steering clear of the A11, i think they'll need to resurface it after this dude ripped the top layer of...

It looks kind of hilly too, or is that just b/c the y axis is 0 to 150 ft, vs the x axis at 528,000 ft (100 mi x 5280 ft/mi).

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Duggleby 100 mile TT new record [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Over 700m of elevation is pretty decent, sure is way hillier than the Samorin Challenge champs course which was way less than 100m over 90km.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out that mantis position.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Duggleby 100 mile TT new record [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
Over 700m of elevation is pretty decent, sure is way hillier than the Samorin Challenge champs course which was way less than 100m over 90km.

Ya, that 2543 ft in elevation translates to about 775 meters. TBH, I've never used "Strava" so wasn't sure how to interpret the elevation number; it does not say "vertical feet of climbing", which would be very clear, but I will certainly take your word for it. Looks like it was a lot of short hills, maybe "rolling hills" would be a good description???

Quote Reply
Re: Adam Duggleby 100 mile TT new record [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Mantis is strong with this one. Note how he turned the brake levers on his Giant.

Quote Reply
Re: Adam Duggleby 100 mile TT new record [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This performance puts us wimpy triathletes in our proper place in the food chain, that's for sure. That Giant frame doesn't get a lot of love but he clearly put it to good use. Still using a trispoke as well. Surprised no trip socks, those seem to be the rage in the UK. Also interesting to see his positioning and equipment evolution, moved from a super long tail helmet to a much shorter one, not sure which one that is.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Duggleby 100 mile TT new record [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
This performance puts us wimpy triathletes in our proper place in the food chain, that's for sure. That Giant frame doesn't get a lot of love but he clearly put it to good use. Still using a trispoke as well. Surprised no trip socks, those seem to be the rage in the UK. Also interesting to see his positioning and equipment evolution, moved from a super long tail helmet to a much shorter one, not sure which one that is.

It's a Lazer. I *think* it's the Wasp with the "short tail" kit. Wasp did away with the traditional Wasp and now just has the Wasp Air. But then you can put no tail on it, a short tail on it (what I think that is), and the long tail to match the original Wasp.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure this guy is a total beast, but unless it's a sanctioned event, is there any proof he didn't draft a truck or hop in a friend's car halfway through?
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Duggleby 100 mile TT new record [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Errr... it was a CTT sanctioned race with loads of other competitors that takes laps, so they would have seen. Also, 2 others did 30+mph rides and 4th was only a few seconds over. You can check his Strava as well, and his ride on the Anfield 100 a few weeks ago shows he would have gone faster if A) he didn't blow from going out too hard and B) did lose time from dropping his chain.

This is a double Olympic gold medallist we're talking about...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The guy who posted the 3rd fastest time this weekend (I presume it was the same event) Pete Harrison,
at 3.18.58, had the fastest bike split at IM Wales last year, and won his age group (it wasn't because of his swimming :-) )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a big big ring.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
It looks kind of hilly too, or is that just b/c the y axis is 0 to 150 ft, vs the x axis at 528,000 ft (100 mi x 5280 ft/mi).

The courses on the A11/A14 are about as flat as it gets for fast courses in the UK.

Richard Bideau in 2nd place with 3:18:54 did exactly the same time as he did in 2015 when it was thought he had done the first 30mph 100 mile TT, but it was declared null and void several months later after the course was re-measured and found to be a fraction of a mile short. So he proved his ability to do that time, but unfortunately for him, he started after Adam in this TT, so his time isn't regarded as having beaten the previous record, as the chronology of records is determined by the time of day that the rider crosses the finish line.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Duggleby 100 mile TT new record [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Irwin wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

The courses on the A11/A14 are about as flat as it gets for fast courses in the UK.

Richard Bideau in 2nd place with 3:18:54 did exactly the same time as he did in 2015 when it was thought he had done the first 30mph 100 mile TT, but it was declared null and void several months later after the course was re-measured and found to be a fraction of a mile short. So he proved his ability to do that time, but unfortunately for him, he started after Adam in this TT, so his time isn't regarded as having beaten the previous record, as the chronology of records is determined by the time of day that the rider crosses the finish line.

Interesting, thanks. Presumably then, he would've gone a little faster on a pancake-flat course with no wind.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
U.K. Tters hunt all over the country for the fastest courses. It's likely there could be a faster course elsewhere. However, depending on the course in the U.K., passing traffic *can* give a push.
Don't get me wrong, these guys are sick fast and US slowtwitchers have often underestimated their awesome ability.
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Duggleby 100 mile TT new record [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trexlera wrote:
U.K. Tters hunt all over the country for the fastest courses. It's likely there could be a faster course elsewhere. However, depending on the course in the U.K., passing traffic *can* give a push.
Don't get me wrong, these guys are sick fast and US slowtwitchers have often underestimated their awesome ability.

After accidentally stumbling on some 40k TT results from the UK a few years ago I started spending more time over on the UK TT forums :) Nothing truly earth-shattering in terms of equipment setup or position preference but I will say that most of them do not train using erg mode. If they have a smart trainer, they tend to use it in slope mode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Trexlera wrote:

After accidentally stumbling on some 40k TT results from the UK a few years ago I started spending more time over on the UK TT forums :) Nothing truly earth-shattering in terms of equipment setup or position preference but I will say that most of them do not train using erg mode. If they have a smart trainer, they tend to use it in slope mode.

Pardon my ignorance but I don't have a "smart trainer"; what is "slope mode"???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Trexlera wrote:

Rather than setting the trainer to a given resistance in erg mode (e.g. 300 watts) it is set to simulate a given hill slope (e.g. 1%, 2%, 5%, etc).

What I find interesting is that a ton of the top TT guys in the U.K. basically just grind out 2x20 sessions on a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer with their power meter during the week, maybe commute to work, and then do a long spirited weekend ride. Not as many guys using Neos, Kickrs, etc. as you'd imagine (or at least that I would imagine).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Trexlera wrote:

Rather than setting the trainer to a given resistance in erg mode (e.g. 300 watts) it is set to simulate a given hill slope (e.g. 1%, 2%, 5%, etc).

What I find interesting is that a ton of the top TT guys in the U.K. basically just grind out 2x20 sessions on a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer with their power meter during the week, maybe commute to work, and then do a long spirited weekend ride. Not as many guys using Neos, Kickrs, etc. as you'd imagine (or at least that I would imagine).

Well, I guess the length of their daily commutes would affect the training effect, plus do they do just one long ride or 2 on the weekend??? IOW, how many mi/wk??? I would *think* that to prep for a 100 mi TT at 30 mph pace, you'd need at least 400 mi/wk??? Maybe you could get by on 300 mi/wk if you did a lot of quality miles.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just making a generalization about the fast 20k/40k guys. I'd imagine Duggleby logs lot and lots and lots of quality miles =)
Quote Reply
Re: Adam Duggleby 100 mile TT new record [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:

This is a double Olympic gold medallist we're talking about...

Double Paralympic gold and a bronze, not quite Olympic standard but clearly a very talented tester.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

HOLD ON just a cotton'-pickin' second. You've got the audacity to suggest that lots of trick gizmos with slick marketing DON'T act as a magic bullet that preclude them training consistently and in a focused manner?!?!

:) :)

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you're looking at that the wrong way around.
Look at quality time instead of "quality miles", which is a bit of an oxymoron.

FWIW a lot of the top TT'ers here (including those who compete upto 12/24hr) will surprise you with how much (ie little) training time they do, but what they do counts, and allows more recovery time between such sessions.
Quote Reply

Prev Next