Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Orleans Tri Training
Quote | Reply
Hello!
I am traveling to NOLA for work and hoping to continue training during my visit. Any tips for:
-Running -- where to go for >8 miles? where to go for a track workout?
-Biking -- any bike rentals in the area? where to ride?

Thanks!
Haylbops
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans Tri Training [haylbops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For swimming, you can go to UNO lakefront arena and swim with a daypass. There are indoor and outdoor pools.

Best bet for cycling is either Lakeshore Drive or the River Levee trail, which is paved. It's easy to go from Audubon park to the River Levee trail. Make sure you have a good flat kit. Roads in NOLA suck and there is broken glass and crap everywhere. Also be careful of embedded rails in some roads in downtown. Seen lots of crashes because of those.

Best bet for a good run is either Audubon Park or City Park. Both are dead flat and you can do track workouts or whatever else there.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans Tri Training [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Do you know about any shops that rent bikes in the area?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about rentals. Bayou Bicycles, Bicycle Connection, and GNO Cyclery are both great shops there. I don't know if they rent bikes, but they could at least point you in the right direction.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rotosound wrote:
For swimming, you can go to UNO lakefront arena and swim with a daypass. There are indoor and outdoor pools.

Best bet for cycling is either Lakeshore Drive or the River Levee trail, which is paved. It's easy to go from Audubon park to the River Levee trail. Make sure you have a good flat kit. Roads in NOLA suck and there is broken glass and crap everywhere. Also be careful of embedded rails in some roads in downtown. Seen lots of crashes because of those.

Best bet for a good run is either Audubon Park or City Park. Both are dead flat and you can do track workouts or whatever else there.

+1 to all of this. Running up St. Charles Avenue to Audubon Park is also very nice. It's about 5 miles from downtown to the park. Run to the park and take the streetcar back, or vice versa.

Rouler is a cycling shop and coffeehouse downtown. I think they have a few gravel bikes for rent -- not a bad option for our roads. And to clarify, some roads are bad, but Audubon Park and the riverfront bike path are in excellent condition, without any debris to speak of.

<The Dew Abides>
Last edited by: dewman: Jun 19, 17 15:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forgot to mention you can also connect the Lakeshore Drive loop with the Lakefront Trail on Lake Ponchatrain. The trail is paved and goes to the west side of Kenner. The upside is its only for pedestrian and bikes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again! Also, any tips if I have a hill wo? Hotel treadmill?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fabulous! Is that what the 70.3 course goes on?
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans Tri Training [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips! I have a hill wo the Friday I am in town. Are there any hills in the area?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 70.3 does ride and run on the Lakefront. The run's nice enough, but it's just a 6-lane road and a lake. Hot as blazes in the summer. The 70.3 bike course is a popular ride, but not a very nice one at all. Industrial with lots of traffic.

For hill workouts with long climbs, treadmills are the best bet, esp. in the summer. There are runnable bridges like the Jeff Davis Blvd. overpass over the interstate, which has a pedestrian/bike path in the middle. But it's a dirty and ugly and -- in the summer -- very, very hot. That's about .25 miles end to end.

For shorter hill repeats -- 75 yards or so -- there are places where the bike path goes diagonally up the river levee, a rise of about 25 feet over that distance.

I've sent you a PM. You can contact me for more details if you'd like.

And Rouler's got a link on their website where you can rent a gravel bike or a CX bike.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans Tri Training [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha, hill reps in NOLA! when i used to come home for summer break i'd work on my "hill" climbing (cycling) by going up and down the loyola parking garage on freret st.
Quote Reply