Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3!
Quote | Reply
Canadian Age Grouper Kristen Johnson (#1405) DQ'd for letting air out of competitor's rear tire just prior to the start of Syracuse 70.3. The incident occurred in transition just after the victim left her bike in transition to head to the swim start. Thankfully, this incident was witnessed and reported to race officials allowing the victim to have her tire reinflated prior to the start. Race officials investigated after the start and ultimately DQ'd Ms. Johnson. I can only imagine how many times Kristen Johnson has done this before without getting caught.
Last edited by: Xing triathlete: Jun 19, 17 3:45
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lifetime ban, please
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xing triathlete wrote:
Canadian Age Grouper Kristen Johnson (#1405) DQ'd for letting air out of competitor's rear tire just prior to the start of Syracuse 70.3. The incident occurred in transition just after the victim left her bike in transition to head to the swim start. Thankfully, this incident was witnessed and reported to race officials allowing the victim to have her tire reinflated prior to the start. Race officials investigated after the start and ultimately DQ'd Ms. Johnson. I can only imagine how many times Kristen Johnson has done this before without getting caught.

Who is Kristen Johnson?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://triathlonmagazine.ca/feature/kona-round-canadians-races-ironman-world-championship/
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newManUK wrote:
http://triathlonmagazine.ca/feature/kona-round-canadians-races-ironman-world-championship/

Thanks for that. I had done a quick search but couldn't find much. I think I need more coffee.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree x 1,000,000

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean, WTF? Hopefully she'll be reported to the Canadian Tri authority and face a longer term consequence as well.

The one redeeming factor in this is she's apparently a Darwin award cheater, who through sheer stupidity takes herself out of the competitor pool. The clever cheaters may well be the bigger problem because they're the ones not getting caught.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is worse than doping and course cutting as far as I'm concerned. This is doing something directly and maliciously against a competitor. WTC should ban her from their races for a long, long time.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newManUK wrote:

4th in F40-44 in Kona. Time to send the ST sleuth hounds out to ensure that the only thing she ever did was air extraction from a competitor tire at Syracuse. I wonder if there is a bonfire aside from this smoke.

I agree with lifetime ban!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a pretty nasty thing to do... messing with other competitor's stuff to gain an advantage, impair them?

I'm shocked, but I guess I shouldn't be.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
[/quote]This is worse than doping and course cutting as far as I'm concerned. This is doing something directly and maliciously against a competitor. WTC should ban her from their races for a long, long time.[/quote]

agree completely except for bolded. Should be a lifetime ban.
Last edited by: andrewnova: Jun 19, 17 5:12
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at the Kona qualification IM LP results and I see several run splits in the sub 5 per mile range and sub 6 per mile range. Perhaps sportstats splits were messed up:

https://www.sportstats.ca/...id=40261&bib=338

forget about that, the age group winner in F40-44 also had many splits in the sub 5 and sub 6 range:

https://www.sportstats.ca/...&category=F40-44

Here is the sportstats search on Kristen Johnson results. Not that many results there for a KQ type athlete. Looks like last year was a breakout kind of year backed up by a really solid 1:35 run at Syracuse yesterday:

https://www.sportstats.ca/...uery=Kristen+Johnson

Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [andrewnova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewnova wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
This is worse than doping and course cutting as far as I'm concerned. This is doing something directly and maliciously against a competitor. WTC should ban her from their races for a long, long time.

agree completely except for bolded. Should be a lifetime ban.

Long, long time is up for interpretation. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
That's a pretty nasty thing to do... messing with other competitor's stuff to gain an advantage, impair them?

I'm shocked, but I guess I shouldn't be.

Maybe she was watching "9.79" the documentary about Ben Johnson's doping and got some bright ideas based on what Ben claimed that Carl Lewis did to his waterbottle. Really she was watching her competition fill up their 25mm conti 4000 to 130 psi and she was trying to help her bringing it down to a lower Crr 85 psi range.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe it- its one thing to dope to better ones own performance but to sabatoage another persons race, even safety, is on a completely different level.

what if someone didn't see it happen and the competitor got on their bike then took a spill? I'd push for a criminal charge.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

100% agree. People with a mentality like that don't belong at races and have no place in our sport. Despicable behavior.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But what if she let the air out of a know dopers tire? Then she is a hero right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is unbelievable! What in the WORLD would be this woman's incentive? I can't fathom being that malicious - its a 70.3 in Syracuse NY for christs sake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the penalty has the be very severe for an incident like this. Because of the fact that she is taking injury of the competitor into the picture.

No matter how heavily you dope or how badly you cut the course you keep your conduct isolated to yourself. (apart from the reputational damage to the sport).

But if you get hands on with someone else equipment you are accepting the risk of its failure in the field. Which with a bike is easily a 40kph crash.

I hope the ban hammer comes down hard.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:
I can't believe it- its one thing to dope to better ones own performance but to sabatoage another persons race, even safety, is on a completely different level.

what if someone didn't see it happen and the competitor got on their bike then took a spill? I'd push for a criminal charge.

You know, the more I think of it, I would like to see some jail time. That person is a daughter, of someone, maybe a mom, a sister too. Kirsten took that woman's life into her hand with this cheap shot. Definitely criminal charge of some kind is in order. Can local police be alerted to this matter regardless of what Ironman does (any NY state law people out there) ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
Lifetime ban, please

For sure. Front page ST shaming too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wife and I have done two ironmans that strange things have happened to our bikes very early on during the bike that we chalk up to someone messing with our stuff so I assume this isn't that uncommon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
omg. should be banned for tri-race for certain period of time....

to complete 113...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wow! We all know this kind of stuff happens, but now someone has been actually caught. This is the same kind of behavior as hiding your competitors running shoes which some speculated happened at IMTX this year. All her past results are suspect and should be stripped in addition to a lifetime ban.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like vandalism to me
Quote Reply

Prev Next