Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New pedals
Quote | Reply
 I'm on a crazy bender trying to lighten my bike. Right now I'm using time RXS pecals but they seem heavy compared to the competition. I do like having a bit of a platform and some float. Wondering what pedals the forum favors
Quote Reply
Re: New pedals [fxjeffrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your driving factor is weight, the Time Xpresso 12s are the lightest of which I'm aware - when including pedal and adapter weight. The drawbacks are that you have only 2 options for q-factor and the cleats wear very quickly. The Titanium Speedplays give up a bit of their weight advantage with heavy cleats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use M2Racer and Aerolite pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: New pedals [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Jim.. I know M2 went out of business a few years ago. Are the Aerolites still available?
Quote Reply
Re: New pedals [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are.
Quote Reply
Re: New pedals [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
If your driving factor is weight, the Time Xpresso 12s are the lightest of which I'm aware - when including pedal and adapter weight. The drawbacks are that you have only 2 options for q-factor and the cleats wear very quickly. The Titanium Speedplays give up a bit of their weight advantage with heavy cleats.

The v.2 4-hole cleats are very light. If you go with the Speedplay Nanogram Zero with the 4-hole cleats, that totals 186.5 grams. While by my math the Xpresso 12 + cleat weight is 237g.
Quote Reply
Re: New pedals [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like Speedplay Zeros. The pedals are very light but the standard cleats are heavier than most others so I imagine that would eliminate much of the weight advantage. I haven't tried the newer, lighter versions. I suspect they're a good choice if you want comfort and low weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keywins.
Quote Reply
Re: New pedals [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I really like Speedplay Zeros. The pedals are very light but the standard cleats are heavier than most others so I imagine that would eliminate much of the weight advantage. I haven't tried the newer, lighter versions. I suspect they're a good choice if you want comfort and low weight.

I did the calculation of cleats plus pedals against dura ace a while back, I think the difference was extremely small, maybe 15 grams or so.
Given the extremely small amount of weight savings between the high end pedal systems, I'd say this isn't a spot to look for savings, you (the OP) should pick a pedal system that you find most comfortable to use.
Quote Reply
Re: New pedals [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Via a quick google search:
http://www.cyclingexpressblog.com/...al-Comparison-Review

Speedplay Zero stainless steel 206g, 116g for cleats, total 322g
Speedplay Zero Ti 164 grams, 116g for cleats, Total 282g
Shimano Dura Ace 248 grams, 68g,for cleats, total 316g
Quote Reply
Re: New pedals [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good info. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello fxjeffery and All,

With SpeedPlays and View-Speed you can have a setup as shown in the picture below ..... and save a few aero Watts ... if faster speed is the goal .....

Just picture your shoes with all the irregular pedal aero surfaces churning the air when pedaling vs. a streamlined smooth approach ....

Check the Bont shoe on the left with the fully retracted Speed Play pedal ... like an airplane retractable landing gear .... (the heel striker contact pad comes off for races.)

Watt savings vs. regular SpeedPlay verified in the San Diego Low Speed Wind Tunnel.

You send your shoes to us (most any brand shoe) and we add the crepe sole (about 60 grams). Patent Pending.

http://www.shop.view-speed.com/...ion-610098715986.htm

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply