Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheelbuilder aerojacket cover question
Quote | Reply
I got mine taped to the rim and to the spokes on the drive side. It rides and works fantastic. No hardware used as it was advised by many here on this forum.

But... what if I have to do a bike check in at one of the WTC events - would the tape peel off/loosen up in the heat and then the cooler air of the night? I used the 3M black electrical tape (this one) on the rim and a really strong duct tape on the drive side. The tape does not seem to move when I left the wheel in the backyard in the 95 degree heat.... what's your experience?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Last edited by: alex_korr: Jun 18, 17 18:38
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder aerojacket cover question [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leave it outside overnight at home (lock it up or something obviously). If the tape deals with the temperature change at home there's no reason to believe it wouldn't hold up in transition as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have left it at most races but two years ago at Racine it was going to be hot and sunny so I put a training wheel on while racked then brought the wheel with the cover race morning and put it on. That way I didn't have to worry about it. But if it is fine in 95 degree heat I would think it would last in most transition areas over night.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder aerojacket cover question [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good idea. Another idea would be to put a blanket over it to absorb the direct sunlight and heat overnight. If it rains everything will be soaked, but that would be the case regardless.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you used decent duct tape on the spokes you'll be fine. That's the taping that matters most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't had a problem with tape and I used the same stuff you did...but I did take in to a local bike store for basic tune up and they must have sprayed something with very strong alcohol on the chain or rear derailleur and the wheel jacket on that side cracked up and start breaking apart like old weathered plastic. I think it was something sprayed on it because the other side never had a problem and it appeared darker (wet) in different areas on the cassette side. It literally just started flying apart during a ride. I called Wheel builder and asked them about issues, what could have caused it and what I could use on the wheel cover to clean it. They said this was a first for them and sent me a free replacement. I use it for races only. Great company and great customer service.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I left my bike at IMCDA in 2015 the day before and race day and it was 104 and 107 degrees respectively and my cover was fine with basic electrical tape from the hardware store. You should be fine to leave it. The cooler air won't mess with it as long as you don't undo the tape and try to re apply it during a cool and humid morning
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder aerojacket cover question [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. It's the non taped lenticular side that worries me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why does that worry you? It's fastened to the other with the plastic screws, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder aerojacket cover question [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. The screws seem to cause warping so I did not use them at all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if you used the good 3M electrical tape and you were careful to go all the way around, you should be fine, whatever the weather. But in the future, I suggest using the plastic screws regardless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if you could explain your taping technique please (or maybe a photo?)? I just got me some aerojackets for an 808, haven't yet fitted them but would like to know about this taping method. As I don't understand.

Please.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder aerojacket cover question [quintana who] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quintana who wrote:
Just wondering if you could explain your taping technique please (or maybe a photo?)? I just got me some aerojackets for an 808, haven't yet fitted them but would like to know about this taping method. As I don't understand.

Please.

Thanks.
There should be a better description or how to somewhere on this forum but you tape the drive side to the spokes (I use packing tape). Then you go around the perimeter of the cover (half on the cover, half on the wheel) with 3M Super 33 electrical tape. Do not stretch the tape. The other side you use just the electrical tape.

I have used this technique and raced in all conditions including 6 hours of pouring rain and heat and cold. I have also left them on for months at a time in all temperature conditions and never had one come loose. I do wipe the rim and cover with rubbing alcohol before I put the tape on.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder aerojacket cover question [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like they used a citrus based cleaner. I have seen it absolutely destroy plastics.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder aerojacket cover question [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see! Thank you very much. I shall give this a go instead of the funny screw things that came with the covers.

I will have a very whizzy bike. Unfortunately the rider will be less so....
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder aerojacket cover question [quintana who] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For peace of mind I cut self adhesive Velcro and attached it to the inside of the cover and the spokes (backed it up with duct tape) of the non ds plus the 3M all the way around

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
No. The screws seem to cause warping so I did not use them at all.

I just installed my cover last night. I did notice I have warping on the one side. Should this be a concern for me? Other than looking a bit off when spinning it at slow speeds (shadows show off the warp), will it really cause any issues at high speeds or do you think I am okay? I am currently using the plastic screws provided and no tape. It seems very snug and solid against the rim.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder aerojacket cover question [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should have gotten 2 sets of screws. One long and one short. I could not get either to work for me. The short warped the cover and the long didn't get tight enough so I didn't use them, only the tape. Did all my training rides leading to IM and the race itself with no problems.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder aerojacket cover question [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At very long last I got the short screws to work without warping, and the screws + electric tape worked for years until I got a disc wheel.

When raining I've seen some people use every second or third screw to 1) avoid warping because 2) they were worried about the tape coming off and frisbeeing their cover onto the course with no screws.

But I've never heard of any real world issues like that in any weather.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My cover has been taped on with 3m electrical tape only just along the rim since August and hasn't budged. Raced it twice in the last month. The tape is still holding strong.

It's my 3rd wheel cover and the no screws and tape only method has been the best by far. It's the quickest install and rides so much quieter than the ones with screws. Even with the screws they moved around and accelerated the cracks/wear as well as having stupid gaps.
Quote Reply