Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Florida vs Cozumel vs Los Cabos 2018
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

My first post here after much reading. I am looking at one of the above IM races because I desire an ocean swim (I grew up in Hawaii) and well lakes and rivers are not much fun to me.

I have family (no kids) that will be going with me and I want them to enjoy the trip as well, so we will be staying a week of so after the race.

I am wanting feedback on race organization, the race as a whole (places to get workout in etc.) and the destination as a fun place to go. I will most likely fly with my bike, so that would be a consideration as well.

Thank you all for your thoughts,

Dale
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida vs Cozumel vs Los Cabos 2018 [DaleD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Cabo last year. Pretty loosely organized, a challenging course, a great swim. A pretty decent destination from a family touristy perspective. Flghts from California were cheap and the hotels were not too expensive. There is a walmart in town, so you can buy all the essentials there.

My race review - http://www.unelitetri.com/...abps-2016-recap.html

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have done FLorida and Cozumel (3 times). Cozumel is a paradise. Holyday destination with cultural highlights just around any corner. The pyramids of the film apocalypto are in driving distance, as are many other Maya sites.
People are super friendly ...

Florida on the other Hand .... well ...

There is a reason why I went to Cozumel 3 times and to Florida only once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dale,

I have done both, FL twice. I only did FL twice because I had a free place to stay near the race venue. Like others said, Cozumel is pretty awesome. Your family can see you at the swim exit and coming through town a couple of times in the bike. Loads of opportunities to see you on the run. I recommend going to VRBO, HomeAway, or Air BNB to look for a place in town vice getting a hotel. The place we used was two or so blocks from the finish line. It makes bike pickup (if you use Tribike Transport) really easy and getting back to your place after the race much easier.

Race organization is pretty equal. I would say that your ability to get a workout in may be a little better in COZ, but the "in town" legs of both bike legs can be a bit challenging leading up to the race. A quick five-minute drive out of town will get you where you need to go.

FL sometimes has issues with swim conditions. COZ did one year, but the format has been changed a little to mitigate that risk. Both races have issues with draft packs. There is some crowd support on the bike in COZ, whereas FL has a little less. There is lots of support on the run course in COZ and a good amount in FL. The only downside in COZ is you have to be a little careful about water consumption. Until race day, use bottled water to brush your teeth and keep your mouth closed in the shower.

Post-race, there is plenty to do in COZ. If you don't want to rent a car, taxis are pretty cheap, and most drivers have manageable English. Definitely go to one of the restaurants on the western shore of the island to enjoy a margarita and a great view. The diving is amazing there, as is the snorkeling. Plenty of other things to do in terms of excursions. FL has ok diving and lots of mini-golf.

As for flying with your bike, you have options. You can fly into COZ direct, or you can fly into Cancun. Then, you take a shuttle over to the ferry terminal and cross that way. It sounds way more complicated than it is. It is actually pretty easy.

The pros for FL is that you don't need a passport. You may be able to drive there. It is flat across the board. You can practice your pace-line technique.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Los Cabos is great if you can accept that there will be organizatioanl snafus, it is just a little third wordlish, in a good way imo. The course is also MUCH tougher. That run is not flat. If you travel north after the race there some great towns on the Sea of Cortez. There is ZERO to do FLA except sit on the beach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for your thoughts. We are lucky enough to have Spanish speaking people in the family going down with us. I have heard about organizational issues at Cabos.

I did think about driving to Florida, but that would be a 23 hour drive time from where I live in Denver, Colorado. We all have passports, so not an issue there.

What is the availability of pre-race food in Cozumel? A good grocery store would be ideal as I don't like to eat out at restaurants when I travel for races. Now eating after the race is a different story:)

Dale
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coz was my first full IM in 2014. It was a great location, beautiful swim, hard bike up the back side of the island with the winds that increase each lap, and a great run with incredible support from the locals. There are plenty of restaurant options and a large grocery store just down from the T2/finish line area in town if you are staying in a VRBO and want to cook for yourself. We rented a condo on the beach just down the road from the swim start and t1. That made it really easy for my wife in the morning to watch the start and see me come by on the first 2 loops. Then she took a scooter that we rented up into town for T2 and the run. There are cabs everywhere, you don't need a car rental. Just flag down a van to get your stuff to the hotel/condo/wherever you are staying then a small cab in and out of town the rest of the time. Or get a scooter or two to get around and see the rest of the island. We stayed for a week after and took advantage of the beach (which you can't do in town) and scuba, snorkeling etc. I can't speak to Florida or Cabos, but would highly recommend Coz if that is on your short list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I have not done Cabos or Florida, been to both. Did Cozumel 2016 and had a blast. I've been racing since 2005 and have to say this was one of the best, if not the best, organized races I've ever done. One example, you rack your bike in T1 and end the ride at T2 in town. Hand off your bike. Finish the race, they've moved all the racks from T1 to a covered garage under Mega (the grocery store) and placed your bike on your number, with your morning clothes, bike and run bags. Pretty awesome.

As for pre race food, the only thing to really avoid is tap water. Everything else- salads, fruit, ice water in restaurants-is all good as they all use filtered water. Even ice cream from shops back in the hood is fine. You might get the one off montezumas revenge (I've gone probably 10 times including last month and only ever got sick once, eating everything and everywhere).

There are two markets - Mega and Chedraui- where you can buy anything you could buy here in the states They're about 3 blocks apart and right near the race finish. And of course after there are tons of fantastic restaurants on Coz.

If you really feel the need for a pre IM workout, the bike course is safe, but getting out of town is little iffy but fairly safe if you keep your head on a swivel. Can swim at a few places but you should find out beforehand, if you go there are places to avoid.

Bike course has aid stations every 10k or so, there are a lot. Ice cold water in real bottles (only real ick factor is that they recycle tossed bottles, but when you want cold water you ignore that). Run aid stations every k, so there are 40 or so of them.

We stayed another week or so to dive and hang out. Honestly though, if you don't dive, there is not a whole lot to do on Coz other than just chill (nothing wrong with that)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida vs Cozumel vs Los Cabos 2018 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, we are diversđź‘Ť
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Cozumel (2012) and Los Cabos (2015) and enjoyed both locations. If I were to select again, I'd pick Los Cabos every time.

I found the race organization fairly comparable for both events, though I did Cozumel using a travel company that had everything dialed, while Los Cabos, I did all the organization myself. It was super easy to find a relatively cheap and well equipped condo near the race site.

Los Cabos is easy to get to with the race site just a few miles from the airport. In contrast, it was a bit more challenging to get to Cozumel, flying into Cancun then taking a bus to Playa del Carmen and then a (rough) boat ride to get over to Cozumel. I'd definitely fly directly to Cozumel if I were to go back.

The courses are dramatically different. I personally enjoyed all the climbing of the Los Cabos course over the flat course of Cozumel mostly because it separates the field, but I have to say you can't beat the spectacular sea views and scenery of Cozumel.

San Jose El Cabo has a large MEGA grocery store in town so you can get any food you want... except bagels. Not sure I've ever found bagels in a Mexican grocery store. There are also plenty of great restaurants for post race, including the amazing Flora Farms just outside of San Jose.

You also have plenty of things to do post race... we spent some time in Cabo San Lucas (the co-host town) and visited Todos Santos for a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking of doing Cozumel this year and was wondering if anyone who rented a condo via vrbo, airbnb, etc have a recommendation of where they stayed exactly and if it's better to be close to the finish area or swim start. I'm assuming that the finish is at Chankanaab Beach? TIA!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida vs Cozumel vs Los Cabos 2018 [kayumanggi65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its been a few years but I rented a house near town when I raced IM Cozumel. It was awesome with a pool, huge rooms, BBQ, very clean and a short walk to town and a beach. I'm thinking about doing it this year. The only problem is getting around the island because taxis and car rentals were a rip off.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida vs Cozumel vs Los Cabos 2018 [kayumanggi65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used a rental house through vrbo in town. Made lots of our own meals from the local grocery store.

We were there for the ITU race, not Ironman though. House came with cruiser bikes which made getting around easy and fun.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: Jul 7, 17 21:54
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida vs Cozumel vs Los Cabos 2018 [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How brutal was the heat in Cozumel? With it being in November, I am concerned with losing heat acclimation from the Summer and then showing up to a humid/hot location and trying to run.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida vs Cozumel vs Los Cabos 2018 [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
September was super hot... 37 degrees on race day. I have never done a sprint where they had people on IV afterwards.

You heard about the Brownlees? I was standing next to the boom cam when Jonny nearly collapsed

Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida vs Cozumel vs Los Cabos 2018 [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
September was super hot... 37 degrees on race day. I have never done a sprint where they had people on IV afterwards.

You heard about the Brownlees? I was standing next to the boom cam when Jonny nearly collapsed

Sorry, should have been more clear. I was wondering about the heat for the IM in November
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It's super humid. Sure November is not as hot but we are talking Ironman.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida vs Cozumel vs Los Cabos 2018 [jordanac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bagels can be bought at the Wally Mart up the road :)

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida vs Cozumel vs Los Cabos 2018 [adal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey I'm in for this years Coz Race. Any recommendations on Hotels? Far vs. Close to town? I was planning on the Iberostar for the free ride to the race and all-inclusive.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida vs Cozumel vs Los Cabos 2018 [kwbnetmail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the Coz race, I love Mexico. But I would avoid the Iberostar chain until they come clean on the issues they've had with the recent spate of deaths and injuries from alleged drink-spiking. http://www.jsonline.com/...-tourists/490429001/

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida vs Cozumel vs Los Cabos 2018 [kwbnetmail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kwbnetmail wrote:
Hey I'm in for this years Coz Race. Any recommendations on Hotels? Far vs. Close to town? I was planning on the Iberostar for the free ride to the race and all-inclusive.

I'm not an AI guy so I wouldn't stay there but if that's important may be an issue.

As to transport there are a LOT of place to catch a free bus, even if you aren't at a host hotel, just walk to it. I walked out of my hotel (between Park Royal and Hotel Cozumel) and within 10 seconds a cab picked me up, $4-5 down to T1 as I recall.

Coz was my third IM, I've been there a lot including during the race but hadn't done it. Would do it again in a fat second if I could stay uninjured and in shape :)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida vs Cozumel vs Los Cabos 2018 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doug and Chris.,
Thanks for the reply. Really looking forward to the race. First full so it sounds like I chose the right spot. Will look into something closer to the race for accommodation. I was thinking the AI would be good for not having to chase meals. But may better to have a kitchen for a more controlled menu.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only done IMFL on that list. It's only a 4 hour drive for me. I wouldn't consider it a destination race at all. PCB is pretty much shut down that time of year. I did it first in 2013 and had a condo rented for a week with family. Once the race leaves it's literally a ghost town. I'm doing it again this year and will arrive on Thursday afternoon and leave after awards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
realAB wrote:

Sorry, should have been more clear. I was wondering about the heat for the IM in November

I know this is totally late, but I was searching for Coz and saw this :) We've been multiple times all throughout the year. Last November 2016, it was actually cool "ish" and nice. Humidity was relatively low, and air temps were comfortable. Low 80s, then cooling nicely. Run has some shade as well.

As for the half, well even the locals complain about how hot, muggy and miserable Cozumel is in September...
Last edited by: ChrisM: Oct 20, 17 16:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMFL in '03 and Coz in '13. They both had their positives and negatives. I'd say the vibe in Florida is not a s good as Coz. However, it's a lot easier in Florida logistically and probably going to be a lot cheaper overall. If the course is a high priority, I'd rate the swim, bike and run course as follows: Swim: Florida C-, Coz A-, Bike: Florida B+, Coz B-, Run: Florida C+, Coz A-. Just my opinion, but the swim at Florida is kind of a bore and odd layout the way you have to navigate around the buoys on the re entry, at least in '03. Coz swim is excellent. Bike courses are similar in that they are virtually flat. Yes, you do have some rollers on the back side of Florida and the bridge on return to T2. Coz is a little relentless having to fight 20k of head wind each of three laps on the backside of the Island. Drafting at both races was a real problem. The runs are somewhat comparable, flat and well supported. The finish line at Coz is way better and more fun than Florida. Overall vote: Florida B-, Cozumel B+
Quote Reply

Prev Next