Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need Chainsuck Solution (Cervelo NP2)
Quote | Reply
Hi Twitchers,

Other than Helicopter Tape, I am looking for some protection from chain suck (chain suck, not chain stay protection). Cervelo P2 frames don't come with any form of chainsuck protection film/plates. Does anybody have any solutions (to include DIY solutions)?

Thanks!
G
Quote Reply
Re: Need Chainsuck Solution (Cervelo NP2) [apache] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chainspotter.
Quote Reply
Re: Need Chainsuck Solution (Cervelo NP2) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not an option with my FD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't you just fix the chainsuck? Never been an issue on any of my TT bikes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a well tuned limit screw on my fd and a K-edge chain catcher (works brilliantly). Christopher Froome runs a K-edge along with a 3d printed catcher epoxyed to the frame. Seems very smart to me.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chainsuck is when the chain sticks to the front chainring instead of coming of the bottom and returning to the rear derailleur.

Is that what you are talking about or are you dropping your chain to the inside?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
apache wrote:
Hi Twitchers,

Other than Helicopter Tape, I am looking for some protection from chain suck (chain suck, not chain stay protection). Cervelo P2 frames don't come with any form of chainsuck protection film/plates. Does anybody have any solutions (to include DIY solutions)?

Thanks!
G

Chain suck refers to the chain not disengaginging the front ring and consequently jamming into the stay, itself, the front derailleur or a combination of all three.

Worn out chainrings usually cause this.
It may also be caused by some rare combinations of chains and rings.
It NEVER happens on a road bike, this is 90's MTB territory and is pretty much a non-existant phenonomen now.

Chain slap is where the bouncing chain hits your chain stay and leaves littlr marks.
Maid worse by some frame designs that run the chain very close and freehubs that drag a little so that the chain looses tension.
You can usually change the spring position of the rear derailleur to lesson this if need be.

Chain drop is where the chain falls off of the front ring during down changes of the front ring and sometimes gets caught inbetween the frame and crank.
Well setup drivetrains with good maintainance simply don't drop chains.
Bikes with out of spec short chainstays benefit from an anti drop device.
There are shitloads of these out there.
The type that mount to the front of your derailleur will fit any bike with a frame mount FD.
Shark fins work exceptionally well for bikes with round tubes.

Mixed drivetrains are the worst offenders followed by older SRAM FD designs.
Any full Shimano drivetrain should not be dropping chains, ever.

Check your front rings for wear and the positioning of the derailleur.
Cervelo's may need to run one of the FD spacers available from Cervelo or some aftermarket suppliers to get the correct position.

So which problem do you want a solution for?
Quote Reply
Re: Need Chainsuck Solution (Cervelo NP2) [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Well setup drivetrains with good maintainance simply don't drop chains.
Quote:
Any full Shimano drivetrain should not be dropping chains, ever.

While very rare, I've come across an exception to this. We had a run of frames made for our road team, and apparently the layup got changed, resulting in a very flexible seat tube wall where the front derailleur mount is. During a shift, the entire side of the seat tube could distort, and the derailleur mount, front derailleur, and chain catcher would twist, resulting in dropped chains. The previous run of frames, which were noticeably stiffer in this area, didn't suffer from this, and bonding a very thin cro-mo plate to the seat tube under the derailleur mount solved the problem...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:

Chain suck refers to the chain not disengaginging the front ring and consequently jamming into the stay.

Had exactly this a few times right after I bought my B10 brand new with its original drivetrain (DA RD/FD, FSA crank).
Build a chain stay protection myself out of a soda can piece.
That gave me a twisted chain during challenge Roth last year cause it went through a even narrower spot now and fucked the chain up,not the frame though.
Took me 20 mins to get a 2nd tool to untwist that fucker and keep rolling.
I had the crank replaced 2 yrs ago with a DA to have a clean group and the only time I had that happen was at that race. Very frustrating although I know how it happened still don't get the why at all.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dunno if this is your problem - but once I had a bent tooth on my Front ring. Not sure how it happened

Once I fixed that - never had chain suck again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had chain drop and suck due to incorrect chainline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you running a mismatched crankset/chainrings? I had this problem on a P5 when I was running a Quarq Elsa R with SRAM powerglide chainrings (10sp I believe) on an otherwise DA 9000 drivetrain. Have since switched to a Quarq with DA 9000 chainrings and the problem seems to have been fixed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
STOP PEDALING WHEN THE CHAIN DROPS TO THE INSIDE!!!!!!!!
Last edited by: nickwhite: Jun 18, 17 17:32
Quote Reply
Re: Need Chainsuck Solution (Cervelo NP2) [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
STOP PEDALING WHEN THE CHAIN DROPS TO THE INSIDE!!!!!!!!

Sounds great in theory but in practice when this has happened to me it's usually happened too quickly to stop pedaling in time.
Quote Reply