Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires
Quote | Reply
Looks like we have some new tires to talk about!

Pirelli comes back to road cycling https://www.bikerumor.com/...elo-race-tire-range/


http://www.pirelli.com/...ho-love-performance/

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jun 15, 17 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up with a guy who works for the company nowadays- he was a pro motocross racer for many years and is now a cat 1 mountain bike racer- I messaged him about this thread- hopefully he'll come on like I suggested and answer some questions about this...

"There are two ways to slide easily through life- to believe everything and to doubt everything- both ways save us from thinking "- Korzbyski
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm interested to see how their tires test :)
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I'm interested to see how their tires test :)
Yep, any on the way to Tom A yet? ;)

Interesting to see mention of the ridiculous Conti pricing in that link. I haven't paid more than €40 for a GP4000SII. They are available for €35-€40 from pretty much all online sources and yet are always listed as having been reduced from €72 or something similar. Clearly the actual price is around €35-€40 and the list price is a marketing ploy to suggest you're getting a deal, but ethically I consider it a really dodgy strategy.
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
I'm interested to see how their tires test :)

Yep, any on the way to Tom A yet? ;)

Interesting to see mention of the ridiculous Conti pricing in that link. I haven't paid more than €40 for a GP4000SII. They are available for €35-€40 from pretty much all online sources and yet are always listed as having been reduced from €72 or something similar. Clearly the actual price is around €35-€40 and the list price is a marketing ploy to suggest you're getting a deal, but ethically I consider it a really dodgy strategy.

Walk into an LBS. There are 3 near me. Two have them at $69.95. One at $59.95. They never sell. For years they've been available online from European sites for around $40. It's just this last year that I've seen similar pricing from US sites. My suspicion is that Continental no longer uses an "exclusive" US distributor. But I don't know.
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
I'm interested to see how their tires test :)

Yep, any on the way to Tom A yet? ;)

Interesting to see mention of the ridiculous Conti pricing in that link. I haven't paid more than €40 for a GP4000SII. They are available for €35-€40 from pretty much all online sources and yet are always listed as having been reduced from €72 or something similar. Clearly the actual price is around €35-€40 and the list price is a marketing ploy to suggest you're getting a deal, but ethically I consider it a really dodgy strategy.


Walk into an LBS. There are 3 near me. Two have them at $69.95. One at $59.95. They never sell. For years they've been available online from European sites for around $40. It's just this last year that I've seen similar pricing from US sites. My suspicion is that Continental no longer uses an "exclusive" US distributor. But I don't know.
Ah, okay. I'm in Europe and have used Continental for the last 3 years. I've never paid more than €40 for GP4000s or GP4000SII.
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Looks like we have some new tires to talk about!

Pirelli comes back to road cycling https://www.bikerumor.com/...elo-race-tire-range/


http://www.pirelli.com/...ho-love-performance/

Best of luck to them. It'll probably be an uphill battle - it's a saturated market with some well-established products (and as others have mentioned, lots of cheap online prices).

Greg Kopecky - Slowtwitch Tech Editor
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
I'm interested to see how their tires test :)

Yep, any on the way to Tom A yet? ;)

Interesting to see mention of the ridiculous Conti pricing in that link. I haven't paid more than €40 for a GP4000SII. They are available for €35-€40 from pretty much all online sources and yet are always listed as having been reduced from €72 or something similar. Clearly the actual price is around €35-€40 and the list price is a marketing ploy to suggest you're getting a deal, but ethically I consider it a really dodgy strategy.


Walk into an LBS. There are 3 near me. Two have them at $69.95. One at $59.95. They never sell. For years they've been available online from European sites for around $40. It's just this last year that I've seen similar pricing from US sites. My suspicion is that Continental no longer uses an "exclusive" US distributor. But I don't know.

Shops just don't do many tyres because most people buy a few online when they are cheap.
They are there as a convenience purchase for when you have run out or have a disaster ride.
You are then paying for convenience.
For shops to match online pricing, they make only a couple of dollars so it is just not worth allocating stock funds or wall space to anything other than emergency purchases where there is at least enough margin to cover stocking them.

Even if you buy them in bulk without packaging, the margins are small and people often use tyres to bulk up an order online to get free postage.
So don't expect shops to do anything other than what you see already.
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregk wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Looks like we have some new tires to talk about!

Pirelli comes back to road cycling https://www.bikerumor.com/...elo-race-tire-range/


http://www.pirelli.com/...ho-love-performance/


Best of luck to them. It'll probably be an uphill battle - it's a saturated market with some well-established products (and as others have mentioned, lots of cheap online prices).


For people who are really picky about their tires, I'm not sure it's so saturated. There are a few clearly better choices:

Gp4000sii for those who want reasonably fast rolling, good aero and good flat protection.

Turbo cotton, Conti TT and SS for fast rolling clinchers with tubes, turbo cotton a tiny bit slower but with a bit more flat protection.

Vittoria Corsa Speed for fastest possible rolling tires if you are going tubeless.

That's really all of the decent choices, right? I think there's room for another player in there, especially one with the cache of the Pirelli brand- IF the performance is really there. Yet to be determined.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
VeloVetta is developing AERO cycling shoes with CFD and wind tunnel testing.
InstagramFacebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Jun 16, 17 16:30
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Vittoria Corsa Speed for fastest possible rolling tires if you are going tubeless.


Corsa Speed for the fastest possible rolling clinchers, tubeless or tubed.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 16, 17 16:34
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

Vittoria Corsa Speed for fastest possible rolling tires if you are going tubeless.


Corsa Speed for the fastest possible rolling clinchers, tubeless or tubed.

True.... But if you want to fix a flat mid-race my impression is that you want to be going tubeless.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
VeloVetta is developing AERO cycling shoes with CFD and wind tunnel testing.
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
trail wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

Vittoria Corsa Speed for fastest possible rolling tires if you are going tubeless.


Corsa Speed for the fastest possible rolling clinchers, tubeless or tubed.


True.... But if you want to fix a flat mid-race my impression is that you want to be going tubeless.

Depends on the rim. I have no trouble getting the CS on and off my Zipp Firecrest rims without tools, but they are one of the easier rims to mount out there. Some other rims are much harder. Helps if you use tubeless rim tape as well instead of regular rim tape as it's thinner.
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Interesting to see mention of the ridiculous Conti pricing in that link.

Just a few months ago, Continental hired Oris to monitor their MAP. I suspect some of the US based deals will dry up in the near future.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/...l-monitor-map-policy
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello BryanD and All,


























Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would put the michelin power comp and the normal vittoria corsa G+ in the second category. In fact they have pretty reasonable flat protection as well.
Last edited by: davidalone: Jun 26, 18 20:42
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anybody have an update on these tires, specifically the P Zero 700x25c ? RR and punture resistance ?
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found out that Pirelli is made by Hutchinson, now I know some people haven't had any issues with Hutchinson but I had a pair of Hutchinson Intensive tires and after 800 miles the top smooth tread portion of the tire separated from the tread sides very much like a retread truck tire peeling off, and these are not small 1/2 inch peels, these are peels that are as long as a foot and there are several peels on any one tire, and under the peel I can see the tire casing cords. I've read that there were some other people with the same issue as well. I've contacted Hutchinson twice via email and never received any response. So I'm not buying Pirelli because Hutchinson makes them.
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [froze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That doesn't seem like a great experience.

I thought I would bring this thread back to see if anyone else has tried the Pirelli PZero tires on their bike. I am interested in giving them a shot.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
2020 IRONMAN 70.3 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - M35-39 |--| IRONMAN LAKE PLACID 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
anybody have an update on these tires, specifically the P Zero 700x25c ? RR and punture resistance ?
thanks

I hated them. But that's just me.

First off they come out the box with the mold release gel on them, and sods law it was rainng first ride I had. Absolutely lethal. So my bad luck / bad choice not to run them in the dry. Never had that issue with other tyres, and that probably clouded my judgement.

From there then I just had bad luck with them. Started with front tyre blowout when I hit a bid stone when descening at 68kph. Doubt any other tyre would have done any better. But then had a run of a few punctures, combined with still not being 100% confident in the handling in the wet.

Also, didn't 'feel' they were that fast compared to my normal go to of Vittoria Corsas (with latex tube). Indeed I wasn't hugely impressed compared to my Rubino Pro training tyres (the P zero were faster, but not much by feel).

And finally then I got a huge gash in one after 6-7 rides. So then took the other off and it's in the pile of all the other rubbish bike bits that I insist on keeping for reasons that are as much a mystery to me as my wife, but that doesn't mean I ever intend to do anything with it all.....
Quote Reply
Re: Pirelli comes back to road cycling with new tires [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off , I am not a pro or even a competitive racer, Just an average Joe having fun at races doing what I can.

I bought these for my road bike this summer and they were horrible. I think I had a flat on almost every ride when I started riding on them. Seems like they get a cut by looking at them wrong.

I took them off after a few rides and put 5000's on and have been fine since.
Quote Reply