Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [bearlyfinish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work. Doesn't look like it is pushing up against the top cover.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [bearlyfinish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks good!
I'd definitely take that file once you've tested it.

I was thinking to put a smear or two of assembly grease on that part next time to help it release.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update: I've ridden the bike about 100 miles with my 3D printed latch and I have yet to have a problem with it.

I did however find the culprit of how the latch came off the first time. It turns out the bottom bracket was loose allowing the hydration system to vibrate more than it should have. I found this out when the "around the wheel" piece dipped down and hit my front wheel which sent it flying. Nothing else on the hydration system came off. I looked at the bottom latch and it was extremely loose. So just check that bottom latch to make sure it's screwed in tight and aligned correctly. I'm sure if it doesn't sit perfectly flush with the head tube, it'll vibrate loose. I'm sure some Loctite will help.

So I re-tightened the bottom latch - this time in a slightly higher position than before. This of course made the hydration system fit better than before. So now my top latch is a few mm too long. It's not actually a problem; it just leaves a 2-3mm gap between the top of the stem and the hydration system. I've rode with this gap 50 miles and had no problems.

I'm going to print the latest version I created, make sure it fits and then upload it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [mcgong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the new setup a few months back and haven't had the bottle fly off yet, and I don't think it will. Plain and simple, the old bottle was terrible. Giant should have never sold the bike with that bottle. So I'm glad they fixed the problem and are doing it on their dime versus the customer.

The new bottle is huge though. Why the hell does it need to be so big? I will never put anything sugary in it because, as someone already pointed out, if you fill it more than half way you're going to get whatever concoction you have in it spraying out the top, and all over your front end. The last thing anyone needs is the already janky front brake, or the whole front end for that matter getting gummed up with sugary stuff. So, water is the only thing going in it for me. The longest you will need to go in a race is ~25 miles without water from an aid station, so why not make it smaller and less ridiculous looking?
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [APKTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the larger size bottle. And the front brake works fantastically.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I haven't had any issues with the brakes myself. (Of course accessing the rear brake is a little tricky.)

Of course, you'll get some spray from that bottle, but aside from a little mess, not really enough to worry about it affecting anything. However...
I grabbed a too-loose gatorade bottle at Victoria last weekend and a quarter of the bottle sprayed out of the threads when I tried to fill the front bottle. That soaked the whole front end: bare bar, wheel, even down onto the chain, rings, FD. It immediately started feeling weird and within a mile, chain-sucked onto the BB. Could've been a timing coincidence, but I think the splash was the culprit. In any case, that was WAY more fluid then you'd even get from normal splish splash. Besides, in the other thread, we've talked a bit about how to reduce that. I'll be trying some of these out myself.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [mcgong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have pictures of the bike without the front hydration mounted. Side profile and frontal?

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
in the other thread

got a link?
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [bilalm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bilalm wrote:
Does anyone have pictures of the bike without the front hydration mounted. Side profile and frontal?

Thank you.

I can snap one when I get home tonight or you can just look up the TT version. I'm sure there is some sort of 360 view on giant's site. If not, search for Dumoulin's Giro-win-clinching trinity TT bike!
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:
dfroelich wrote:
in the other thread

got a link?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6247506
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Lots of good stuff in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. How do you guys like the bike? I am super interested in getting the trinity advanced. Will likely buy the frameset and build it up. Its just too good of a bike for the money compared to other brands. I was going to go for the Canyon when it hits the US but I don't fit on the speedmax. I need to find out if I will fit on a Giant but if do it will likely be my next tri bike.

Does anyone know how much a full build weighs? Di2 or Etap.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [bilalm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bilalm wrote:
Thank you. How do you guys like the bike? I am super interested in getting the trinity advanced. Will likely buy the frameset and build it up. Its just too good of a bike for the money compared to other brands. I was going to go for the Canyon when it hits the US but I don't fit on the speedmax. I need to find out if I will fit on a Giant but if do it will likely be my next tri bike.

Does anyone know how much a full build weighs? Di2 or Etap.

I really like it. Check out the other thread (linked just above) for a full rundown of the good and bad. The biggest complaints were solved with these new pieces, making it a much nicer bike than when originally offered.

I can take its weight tonight, but keep in mind that the smallest aero gain/loss will negate a huge change in weight. Thus, more and more people simply disregard TT bike weights, since they'll all be 'light enough'.

Any other questions, fire away, but the other thread is a better spot since it has more background info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any update on this?
I have found that after a few install/remove cycles, the stock piece is just right. It takes a good bit of effort to remove, but doesn't need a tool.

I have just got a 3dprinter and was thinking about designing a draft box off the back. Have you tried anything like that? I can print OK, but my modeling is terrible. It is a simple enough shape, so I should be able to fake it. If I can make several versions, I'd take it to the tunnel to test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I modeled 3 iterations of the hydration top piece and the first one didn't fit at all. The second one required me to make a small cut in the plastic to get it to fit nicely. Then I realized there was a small gap between the bottle and frame at the top (~2mm) - so of course I wasn't satisfied.

I made a 3rd iteration that hasn't fallen off after 500 road miles and a 20+ mph crash. It also required a bit of xacto knife trimming. I realized that if the bottom bottle bracket is moved up or down, it changes the exact fit, so I gave up making it absolutely perfect. I noticed it rides up a bit (2-3 mm) after 20-30 miles. That's probably from me making the inner dimension a mm too small. I just push down on the piece once an hour or whenever I grab my straw.

I have the file - it's not perfect and does require some trimming, but it's a good start if anyone wants to make modifications. Just PM me.
--------------

Haven't yet tried to make a draft box - (I have two cages BTS and throw my spare kit in one). That'd be a fun project. I imagine you'll need two pieces. A piece to wrap around the seat tube which would be the anchoring point and then the box itself.
--------------

Lastly - in case anyone wants to know about replacing the straw. Buy silicone tubing with an OD of 3/8" if you don't want the black piece that sticks straight up. If you want to keep the black piece that sticks straight up, the OD should be 1/4". (I think the actual straw is 7 mm, but I couldn't find any 7 mm on amazon).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd definitely like the file! Either post a link here or email it to me. I'll PM you my address.

For the draft box, I agree, the seat post is the best place to anchor it. The rubbery clamp cover would be removed by this piece. It would need to be a tight fit, or else it would flex and buzz against the seat tube. Some double sided tape should keep it in place.

It looks like the trek draft box bulges out quite a bit. This would be the key parameter to vary and test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I Noticed on Sam Appleton’s Giant @ the 70.3 WC , he appeared to have an extra-long bento box ?

Are these a special or aN addition on latest models

I have the 2017 and struggle fitting much in plus the rubber split
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [stivrunning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant changed the bento on the 2017 model to the one with the slit, not the lift up flap. Is this what you mean? His bento at 70.3 South Africa didn't look particularly long.

Has anyone considered making a 3d printed garmin mount somehow integrated into the bottle?

Also, what about drilling bottle boss into the seat post to mount a draft box? wouldn't hold?
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [twirpburrows] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twirpburrows wrote:
Also, what about drilling bottle boss into the seat post to mount a draft box? wouldn't hold?

I've thought about making a draft box that attaches with a loop that the seat post slides into. Then, some double sided tape would keep it from slapping around. However, there was someone on here who did a similar project and it ended up being worse in the windtunnel. I think aero just takes more work to do right than a single person with a 3d printer and an idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the project you are referring to was for the lower triangle of a P5. I doubt a “draft box” would be worse than aero neutral for any bike.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I think the project you are referring to was for the lower triangle of a P5. I doubt a “draft box” would be worse than aero neutral for any bike.

Hmm, maybe so. Was there someone who did a front brake fairing as well? I don't remember exactly, but my memory is a piece that sticks out above a tire. Whether it was a brake fairing in the front or a draft box off the, I can't be sure.

If you'd like, mock something up out of cardboard, just to see how much potential volume this would make. If it looks right and holds enough, I can try to model and print it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t have a dog in the fight as I don’t own a Trinity :) Just giving my somewhat educated aero opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, good call.
Well, now that aero season is over, I do not have any pressing need for this, so may get around to it by new years.

...unless someone else wants to sooner...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does anyone know the measurements of (ie width front, width back) as it appears to tapper back down towards the seat..I'm looking for a more narrow bento that I can use on my felt DA..I know I'm not a Trinity owner, but I do like that bento box
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [mpeardon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mpeardon wrote:
does anyone know the measurements of (ie width front, width back) as it appears to tapper back down towards the seat..I'm looking for a more narrow bento that I can use on my felt DA..I know I'm not a Trinity owner, but I do like that bento box

Not sure without measuring, but here is the link if you choose to order one: https://www.giantbikespares.com/...oduct_detail/3-42956
Quote Reply

Prev Next