Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
June Swim Challenge
Quote | Reply
No thread yet.

Started the month with my own personal challenge, basically a test set that really sucks. Want to see how much I improve over the month (or not).

The set goes as follows

100 fly
2 x 100 back
3 x 100 breast
4 x 100 free
doing them all on 40s rest, trying to maintain best possible average. Sum up the stroke averages at the end for a 400IM time.

It hurts...

Today's swim was

1000 warmup (various)

10 x 100 on 40s rest as:

1 x 100 fly (1:10) - avg 1:10
2 x 100 back (1:24, 24) ave 1:24
3 x 100 Breast (1:43, 45, 44) (avg 1:44)
4 x 100 Free (1:12, 13, 15, 17) (avg 1:14) Wheels fell off the bus on the last 2, no legs left at all.

sum of averages 5:32

200 ez for 2200m total.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Challenge [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds brutal. Not sure my hip will tolerate 3x100 breast but I might have to try that.

3500m for me this morning. Just a boring old 20x100 on 1:45 starting at 1:13-1:14 drifting down to 1:10-1:11 by the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason, how much slower should be breast be compared to my free. In May, even though I swam a lot, it was mainly for mental therapy and I lost any drive to do anything specific. I am unsure if I will pull myself out of that funk (or not). But maybe closing the gap between 50 free and what I SHOULD do for back and breast and fly would be something to work towards.

I still have this silly goal of being able to do 2000m continuous swim as 10x200 IM. I am pretty sure I can get that done just to do it, but I have not gotten up the motivation to just do it one day last month. I realize this is a silly goal, but what the heck. Anything that keeps one active.
Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short answer, a hell of a lot closer than mine. My breaststroke SUCKS. I'm working on it, but my hips just don't move to let me get good drive on the kick.

The more complete answer is that there isn't a right answer. It's kind of like asking how much slower should my run be than my bike in a triathlon. Every swimmer has strong strokes and weak strokes. Mine is obviously breaststroke, my back is passable but not great, my free and fly are pretty good for an old fart.

I have the advantage of having done 100's in all strokes in competition. I was 10s off my standalone 100 fly PB, and until the wheels fell off the bus, 15s off my standalone 100 pb's in each of the other strokes. So take that as a guideline for doing this kind of set.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Challenge [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Sounds brutal. Not sure my hip will tolerate 3x100 breast but I might have to try that.

3500m for me this morning. Just a boring old 20x100 on 1:45 starting at 1:13-1:14 drifting down to 1:10-1:11 by the end.

Cheat and do dolphin kick instead. I'm doing it legal, but the last couple of 100's on breaststroke I wasn't even doing a full pullout off the turns. Dying for air....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.6 mi run 1:05:06
600 yd swim
trying to kill some pre-dissertation defense jitters

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Challenge [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2967 yard ocean swim. The water is still 60 or less. Super calm today and I had a couple dolphins startle me as they swam beneath me from head-on. Also almost swam into a rock, trying to circumnavigate the thick kelp bed. The surge sucked me towards it. That could have left me a bloody mess. I love the ocean!!!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:

Cheat and do dolphin kick instead. I'm doing it legal, but the last couple of 100's on breaststroke I wasn't even doing a full pullout off the turns. Dying for air....

What is the consensus from real swimmers if I do 2 dolphin kicks for each breast pull in "training" (which I have mastered) Is this any faster or slower than breast kick with breast pull? My body is much more OK with doing that.
Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Challenge [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
400 easy pull
12x25 kick as fast/fast/easy
12x25 swim as fast/fast/easy on :30

4x5x100 on 1:45 as

100@75% (1:32-3)
100@75%
100@80% (1:30)
100@85% (1:26-8)
100 pull @65% (1:37)
no breaks

3000scy

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, it's faster to do dolphin kick. For a good breaststroker who doesn't have a good fly, it isn't.

But that said, 2 dolphins to one breast pull is a pretty standard drill. Don't typically time drills

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what this swim challenge thingy is all about, but...trying to breakthrough a barrier in swimming. To that end, I'm trying to double my weekly yardage..using both frequency and volume. Today:

All sets on 30s rest.

200 warmup

8x50 single-arm
10x50 free
8x50 single-arm
5x100 free
8x50 catchup
5x100 free

200 cooldown

2500scy (shortest swim of the week)

So far, 9500scy for the week.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jun 1, 17 20:49
Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Challenge [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new comp season doesn't start til September, first meet won't be til late October or November. Need some short term goals / challenges to keep the motivation up.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could try just piling on the distance. Think about the 24 hour swim completed by Maarten van der Weijden in a 25m pool.
Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Challenge [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
You could try just piling on the distance. Think about the 24 hour swim completed by Maarten van der Weijden in a 25m pool.

Except that it sounds horrible, and I don't have time, and it sounds horrible. Sure...

Today's swim, keep it simple.

600 Warmup (SKPSKD)

15 x 100 as follows:
- 6 on 1:30
- 6 on 1:25
- 3 on 1:20
try to hold 1:15's (held 15 -17's, avg 16's for the whole thing)

200 easy warmdown

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5.5 mi run, 600 yd swim before heading to Crater Lake National Park for the day :)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Challenge [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
5.5 mi run, 600 yd swim before heading to Crater Lake National Park for the day :)

Just a thought on your run + swim combos. What if you cut down the runs by 10 minutes and added 10 min more of swimming. That addititonal 10 min of swimming can be done at much higher intensity (pretty well daily) than the same time on the run (you just can't go that hard running). Food for thought.

Lately I have been doing lots of 200's IM, but as 50 fly, 25 back, 25 breast, 100 free. The breast stroke is getting better thanks to the 2 dolphin kick beast drill that Jason and AnnaS suggested. Also been working on getting "over the barrel" catch for fly, breast and free. This seems to be helping my free carrying that feeling between strokes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3800 scy

200 wu
8x25 drills
10x50 free
8x25 drills
5x100 free
8x50 drills
5x100 free
8x50 drills
5x100 free
200 cd

Followed by
2:30 40mile bike
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: June Swim Challenge [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
visualization trick to encourage you to keep your elbows up. Imagine you have to reach over a barrel in order to start the pull.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Challenge [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty easy day in the pool yesterday.

1000 warmup

4x100 on 1:45
4x75 on 1:20
4x50 on :55

100 easy
100 fast

Then I got booted out of the lane (waterpolo was done, and another AG team was coming into my lane. I could have waited the 10 minutes or so for the guards to put in the lane lines, but decided to go home instead) I had planned on doing another round of the main set, but I wasn't really feeling it anyway.

2000m total

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
No thread yet.

Started the month with my own personal challenge, basically a test set that really sucks. Want to see how much I improve over the month (or not).

No challenge in the Training Log yet either .... until now! I added the June swim challenge.

Have at it, all you awesome swimmer folks :-)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced the Orange County Triathlon - an Olympic distance event, yesterday.
The lake water temperature was just over 74, so I elected not to wear a wetsuit because when I did Auburn, at 68 degrees, I overheated in the wetsuit. However, I now have a pretty good idea how much difference a wetsuit makes for me: Auburn: 1.5 miles, 68 degrees, 1:13/100 yard; Lake Mission Viejo: 1 mile, 74 degrees, 1:19/100 yard. I wore a Liftfoil swimskin, that has no bike pad, over a pair of biking shorts with a thin fleece pad & wore that for the whole race. Besides the wetsuit, the one other major difference was, at Lake Mission Viejo, I was in the fourth wave and had some traffic to contend with, while at Folsom Lake, we went off in one big in-water start wave and I was third overall - no traffic at all. Results aren't posted yet, but pretty sure I was first in about 24 minutes (1814 yards by GPS). Last year, with a wetsuit, I was 3 minutes faster - bad decision to go without, I guess.
I was shortly passed by a friend in my AG whom I consider one of our strongest riders, but he typically only does sprints and has been to Worlds a few times. However, I think he pushed the climb up El Toro a little too hard and I passed him back a few minutes later. I kept the lead through about 20 of the 24 miles and then had a 5 minute a-fib attack that knocked me down from 20 mph to about 15. Still, as I recovered, I was still ahead. The final climb is a small ring affair, so I shifted and my chain dropped inside the small ring and wedged itself pretty severely. (I'm gonna have to find a remedy for that). I spent 3 minutes at the side of the road pulling that bastard out and bloodying my hand doing so, and cursing a lot. Finished the ride in 1:12 - a 19.6 mph average on a pretty hilly course. Last year I was 1:09, so subtract the 3 minutes and maybe another minute for the a-fib, and I had the best ride ever there. The run is a tough, hilly thing and had me at 54 minutes for the 6 miles - pretty typical for me on that route. I can beat my friend in a stand-alone run, but he got first, someone I don't know took second and I got third. I don't know the time spread to see, if all went well, if I would have beaten him. I'm sure it would have been down to the wire and a great finish between us. They give bottles of decent wine for 1st thru 3rd. As my sister says, 3rd place wine tastes just as good as 1st place. I'm good with that.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Last edited by: HalfSpeed: Jun 5, 17 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Challenge [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt good today.

For the main set, gave myself target times that were based off the middle 200 of my best 400 free (2:19 high). target adjustments are in per 100 pace.

warmup 750 SKPKS

pre-set set
4 x 50 @ 60 d 1-4 (activation set)

200 ez
200 at target (2:20)
200 ez
150 at target (1:45)
200 ez
100 at T-5 (1:06)
150 ez
50 at T-10 (:31)

Missed them all by a little bit, but still pretty good.

100 ez warmdown

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Just a thought on your run + swim combos. What if you cut down the runs by 10 minutes and added 10 min more of swimming. That addititonal 10 min of swimming can be done at much higher intensity (pretty well daily) than the same time on the run (you just can't go that hard running). Food for thought.

That would make far too much sense ;-)

9.5 mi run w/ 2.3 mi w/u (including 1 mi @ 7:53) and 5k 24:01. (If I had realised I was so close to 24 min I would have pushed mile 3 more; I ran 3 mi @ 7:47 then picked it up the last tenth).
1100 yd swim: 10 x 100 on 1:30 plus 100 kick c/d

Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Challenge [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
400 easy

600 easy with a deck-up every 100

6x150 pull buoy/band progressing intensity each set, :20 RI

3x300 with first 25 at 90%, settle into 75-80% sighting twice every 25, deck-up at 275yd turn, :60 RI

4x50 easy pull with band

3000 scy

easy 4.5mi shake-out run

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply

Prev Next