Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training in Vero Beach, FL
Quote | Reply
Going to be spending most of August, and part of September down there. Saw in an older thread from a few years ago the A1A is a good spot to ride... but does it make much of a difference if I go north vs south on it? from VB? Also open to other spots as well, if there is anywhere else riding as well. Would be open to driving maybe upwards to an hour (one way) if it's really worth it for some good cycling and a change of scenery from where I'll be.

Also looking for some where to swim, preferably open water whether it be in a group of sorts or solo, if anyone has any knowledge of what that's like there.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Vero Beach, FL [RayP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A1A is good to ride. Depending where you leave from Vero you can go south approximately 12-13 miles to Ft. Pierce. The road surface and bike lane are good. If you go north from Vero you can ride approximately 33 miles to Melbourne. Road surface is good. Bike lane starts to narrow the closer you get to Melbourne and traffic gets a little thicker. Both directions are good rides and if you add all of it you can get a 90 mile loop in. There's lots of beach accesses with water fountains. If your on Facebook look at Vero Beach Triathletes. There's usually info on there every week of an organized swim and riding. No obligations, just people meeting up.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Vero Beach, FL [Yangyang8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks! I don't facebook, but I do have one, so I'll definitely check that out! As for where in Vero, to get to the A1A it looks like I'd be taking the Merril Barber Bridge.

Are the water fountains easy to spot while riding if you're paying even a little bit of attention?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to echo the comments on the riding. I prefer north to Sebastian, but both ways are good.

Also, If you are looking for a good pool, check out the North County Aquatics Center. Its out by 95, but its a great pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Vero Beach, FL [Fluffyfin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fluffyfin wrote:
Just wanted to echo the comments on the riding. I prefer north to Sebastian, but both ways are good.

Also, If you are looking for a good pool, check out the North County Aquatics Center. Its out by 95, but its a great pool.

Good to know. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Piggybacking on this old thread. Any sources for group rides in the Vero Beach area? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Vero Beach, FL [mjp202] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjp202 wrote:
Piggybacking on this old thread. Any sources for group rides in the Vero Beach area? Thanks!

I never went on any group rides while I was there, but I found the riding out there terrifying because of the drivers and incredibly boring because of how flat it was and the scenery. I ended up giving up riding outside while I was there and just put my bike on a trainer.

There is a Vero Beach tri group on facebook that I think does, or did at the time, group rides a few times a week.
Last edited by: RayP: Mar 9, 19 5:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gonna be HOT!! My parents live there and I visit. Always go north to Sebastián. It is a pretty ride, but will get monotonous after a few weeks. I always see triathletes riding psycho early. I suggest riding then.

Not much traffic in the summer.

Go for a run on the Jungle Trail. Great running spot, and ocean swims there are great. Spinner and black tip sharks galore, but they won’t f with you. My pops and I have caught a few off his barely seaworthy double kayak.

Use blinky lights, octagenarians and fla weirdos populate the place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Following up on this, Vero Cycling Club (https://verocyclingclub.org/) has group rides almost every single day. Friendly folks, and makes the pan-flat, straight-line riding more fun.

And I'd second the Jungle Trail for running.
Quote Reply