Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

We are doomed.
Quote | Reply
I am watching a documentary called, Sour Grapes. It is a show about fake wine. We are doomed. The human race has no meaning.
Quote Reply
Re: We are doomed. [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
I am watching a documentary called, Sour Grapes. It is a show about fake wine. We are doomed. The human race has no meaning.

I saw that documentary. Can't feel sorry for a bunch of well heeled saps who were conned into paying up to sixty grand for a bottle of fake wine. Some people have more money than brains.
Quote Reply
Re: We are doomed. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It just shines a light how sad and pointless humanity really is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't let something on TV get you down.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at the good news.

Now you can drink fake wine while reading fake news.
Quote Reply
Re: We are doomed. [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a great point.
Quote Reply
Re: We are doomed. [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I am not down. I love the decay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait...did it have alcohol in it? How did it taste? If yes to the first, and "not shitty" to the second; I'm in.
Quote Reply
Re: We are doomed. [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
Wait...did it have alcohol in it? How did it taste? If yes to the first, and "not shitty" to the second; I'm in.

It was quite funny watching that documentary. These ultra rich guys were getting together with the con man for "drinking parties" paying him mega bucks to get drunk on supposedly rare vintage wines. They're all talking like big experts using all the nonsense descriptive words to describe the wines as they sip/gozzle them, obviously have no clue what they're talking about. The con man was collecting vintage wine bottles, forging fake vintage wine labels and then dropping home made plonk into the bottles and robbing these guys blind. Art collecting and vintage wine have been described as the two biggest bull shit industries in the world. After watching this documentary its quite obvious.
Quote Reply
Re: We are doomed. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are just monkeys fighting over rotten grape juice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I watched this a while ago and it did little more than enforce my belief that a good portion of the "phile'esque" crowds of most things is little more then made up bullshit. Most people buying a 60K bottle of wine really can't tell the difference between those and a decent cheap bottle of the same thing. I think this is largely true of Art, music and a plethora of largely subjective areas that end up creating "Enthusiasts". You'll have a hard time convincing me that the majority of people spending ridiculous amounts of money on anything because it somehow is "So much better" than it's "Middle class" counterpart could actually tell the difference if really put to a test.

There are a few really gifted, well trained and educated "Tasters" in the world...buying a 60K bottle of wine doesn't mean you can tell the taste difference between that bottle and and wine in a box.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: We are doomed. [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:

I watched this a while ago and it did little more than enforce my belief that a good portion of the "phile'esque" crowds of most things is little more then made up bullshit. Most people buying a 60K bottle of wine really can't tell the difference between those and a decent cheap bottle of the same thing. I think this is largely true of Art, music and a plethora of largely subjective areas that end up creating "Enthusiasts". You'll have a hard time convincing me that the majority of people spending ridiculous amounts of money on anything because it somehow is "So much better" than it's "Middle class" counterpart could actually tell the difference if really put to a test.

There are a few really gifted, well trained and educated "Tasters" in the world...buying a 60K bottle of wine doesn't mean you can tell the taste difference between that bottle and and wine in a box.

~Matt

And more to the point, even if you COULD tell the difference, does that necessarily make it better? I suppose I am lucky, I am fine with all but the cheapest stuff. Every once in a while I will try wine that is a bit more expensive . I can tell the difference, but I would not say it is "better".
Quote Reply
Re: We are doomed. [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
helo guy wrote:
MJuric wrote:

~Matt

And more to the point, even if you COULD tell the difference, does that necessarily make it better? I suppose I am lucky, I am fine with all but the cheapest stuff. Every once in a while I will try wine that is a bit more expensive . I can tell the difference, but I would not say it is "better".[/quote

My brother is one of these annoying "wine snobs" who thinks he's some kind of an expert. One time I bought a bottle of expensive wine, swapped it out with some cheap plonk and re-corked it. He didn't notice and even gave me one of his rare approval compliments for a making a good choice. Of course I never told him, but told everybody else. :-)
Quote Reply