Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"No problem"
Quote | Reply
Maybe this is a regional thing, but it seems this is the new universal standard reply to "thank you" from everyone in the service industry under age 30. And I don't know why it grates on me so much, but it's to the point where I don't even want to thank anyone for any purchase or service anymore.

Now get off my lawn.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: "No problem" [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries

Quote | Reply
np
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't think twice about it.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JESUS CHRIST ON A CRACKER! THIS MUST NOT STAND!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, which is another reason I enjoy going to Chick Fil-a and getting a response of My Pleasure.

Then again my wife HATES getting "mamed". or young lady. Absolutely hates it so much that I just smile and walk away, laughing inside.
Quote Reply
Re: "No problem" [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand your point but I do not agree with it. I feel this is just another sign of how sensitive people are becoming with pretty much "everything" in their life. Relax and move on.

This is a very big "no no" in the hospitality industry. We train our staff to say, your welcome, my pleasure etc...

Your life appears to be pretty good if this really bothers you.

Enjoy your weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nicht zu danken

but then again what do us culturally illiterate Norte Americano's know about any other culture?

now if you're looking for subtlety and finesse then maybe the Teutonic language might not be the best example--and as Mark Twain said, if you want to know what happens in any given paragraph just skip to the end where all the verbs are.

Hochachtungsvoll

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: "No problem" [wdowe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This is a very big "no no" in the hospitality industry. We train our staff to say, your welcome, my pleasure etc...

Well that's disturbing and reassuring all at once. It's all I ever hear anymore, and always from that sector.

Quote Reply
Re: "No problem" [Dan Os Fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Os Fan wrote:
I agree, which is another reason I enjoy going to Chick Fil-a and getting a response of My Pleasure.

Then again my wife HATES getting "mamed". or young lady. Absolutely hates it so much that I just smile and walk away, laughing inside.

Chic is always on point with proper etiquette.

I didn't know people dislike being called ma'am. What's the deal with that? It's my go-to greeting for the non-medical staff in the hospital (sanitation, food service, etc.), nodding with a "sir" or "ma'am" when I pass. I try to make a point of showing respect to the people who tend to be overlooked in that environment, by acknowledging them with those terms. Age has zilch to do with that, which I'm guessing is her issue?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan Os Fan wrote:

I was going to say the same thing. Just one more thing that Chick Fil-A does exceedingly well. I will say that I have adopted it as my response to someone thanking me for doing something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is starting to feel old. Anything that reminds her of that is not good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan Os Fan wrote:
My wife is starting to feel old. Anything that reminds her of that is not good.

You better hope that she isn't reminded of that when she looks at her old husband. She might take all your millions and go find a 30 year old somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"My bad" is the phrase that drives me nuts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say "No problem."after being thanked for serving others because it really is no problem for me to do so.

Quote | Reply
Huh. So now you know better.

;)

I don't know why it bugs me so much, but apparently I'm not the only one, if people in the industry explicitly train employees not to say it.

Last edited by: sphere: May 19, 17 16:30
Quote Reply
Re: "No problem" [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
nicht zu danken

but then again what do us culturally illiterate Norte Americano's know about any other culture?

now if you're looking for subtlety and finesse then maybe the Teutonic language might not be the best example--and as Mark Twain said, if you want to know what happens in any given paragraph just skip to the end where all the verbs are.

Hochachtungsvoll

Germans I know use kein problem. I also started hearing "sorry" a lot instead of entschuldigung about 20 years ago. That still seems strange to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Huh. So now you know better.

;)

I don't know why it bugs me so much, but apparently I'm not the only one, if people in the industry explicitly train employees not to say it.
I work with the addicted, homeless and US Veterans because it is a want out of need which is why doing so will be a problem for me.

Quote | Reply
I've heard that as well. My MIL (DE green card holder, lives here in USA) says 'kein problem' as well and she worked a lifetime in service industry as a seamstress. i just know what i was taught and what i encountered in the Fatherland what with the 'nicht zu danken'.... which i thought jibed oddly well with the OP's initial assertion being as it's a teutonic flat "nothing to thank me for."

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: "No problem" [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
De nada

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: "No problem" [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
God Bless You and Keep You.