Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Perimenopausal/Menopausal
Quote | Reply
Any women out there going through this "fun" stage in life and are taking some hormonal support to deal with symptoms? I do NOT want to do hormone replacement treatment by taking estrogen and progesterone, but really need some help with alleviating symptoms like night sweats and hot flashes. Have been looking online at options but there are SO MANY! Anyone have experience with Amberen or Menoclear for example? Thank you ladies!
Quote Reply
Re: Perimenopausal/Menopausal [lisasrunning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going through the same thing--irregular cycles, I can't sleep, I have hot flashes. The gynecologist tried to put me on oral contraceptives, which I can NOT take. When I refused, they did blood work. It turns out that my sex hormones are fine, but my thyroid is out of whack. If they haven't tested that yet, you might want to ask.
Quote Reply
Re: Perimenopausal/Menopausal [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cannot take any hormones (heart issue). Last fall I began having awful night sweats and hot flashes all day long. I started taking black cohosh, and it worked great at relieving those symptoms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a couple of good podcasts to listen to - google Stacy Sims and Menopause in podcasts
I just figured out that hot flashes had made me sleep disturbed but I had really been battling chronic leg cramps. Had chalked it up to workouts but it got to the point where my legs just never relaxed and I finally figured out it was magnesium deficiency and hot flash induced dehydration - Magnesium has been a godsend - legs are back to normal and hot flashes are lessened. Look for a Mountain BIke Radio podcast with Kelli from Apex Nutrition on Magnesium Deficiency.

Menopause is a total sh*t show - I try to stay away from the commercial/miracle suggestions/books and look for nutritionists with an athletic background - Stacy Sims is doing great stuff.

Give the Mg a whirl but go easy on the dose as it can have laxative properties.
Quote Reply
Re: Perimenopausal/Menopausal [ksb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also - I'm also hypothyroid and Mg affects absorption of thyroid meds so you need to stagger them as far apart as poss if you are also on thyroid meds (T4/T3)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year's tri season was a total disaster due to hot flashes during the run. Became so overheated in the Summer sun that I had to stop to walk even in a sprint. Crazy. I did start taking this form of soy and got "some" relief: Isoflavone-250 with Genistein - Phytoestrogens. It would lessen hot flashes/night sweats for a while and then I seemed to build a tolerance to it. I would stop it and then restart after a couple of weeks. Helped, not perfect.

The biggest thing that helped me was to drop my weight. I stopped eating added sugar (e.g. cookies/cake) and went from 103lbs to 97lbs and for the most part they went away during the day. I suppose I have no idea if it was the weight, the reduction in sugar or both.

It's starting to get hot here in WI and I was able to run pretty well off the bike today in 86F. Better than last year that is for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going through it early, 44. All the females on my dads side went through it early. I am on bioidential cream and have had great results. Its been about a year and its made a huge difference. I was getting terrible headache pre and post menstrual cycle. I saw a Ob/GYN and she prescribed the cream for me. I place two different types cream on the inside of each arm before bed. Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Re: Perimenopausal/Menopausal [Befit4life] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which cream are you using? I need to find a new gyno, because mine would only give me a prescription for oral contraceptives, even though I told her they give a drug-induced lupus and I would not take them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
Which cream are you using? I need to find a new gyno, because mine would only give me a prescription for oral contraceptives, even though I told her they give a drug-induced lupus and I would not take them.

There are many potential side effects of all medications, but none are guaranteed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two different bottles
1. E2 150 P4 6
2. T2 300

It comes from compound pharmacy in Columbia, TN
On Hatcher lane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank God it's not just me....Just started this "magical journey" this summer and my training has just tanked! The hot flashes are driving me nuts and my legs just feel dead all the time. I take Magnesium supplements but haven't been using them regularly -- I'll try starting there...is there a recommended dosage. I'm not sure how much more I can take....was telling my coach just yesterday after suffering through hot flashes on the run I'm ready to just stick a fork in this season and hope for the best in 2018.

Is there a correlation between Perimenopause and drop in performance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:

Here is what I have been on for the last 2-3 years and have been very happy so far (why I have continued ;-)

http://www.thewileyprotocol.com/

Good luck! I have still had a few months where my period was topsy-turvy, but life is in all, much better than before BHRT.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Perimenopausal/Menopausal [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
happyscientist wrote:

Here is what I have been on for the last 2-3 years and have been very happy so far (why I have continued ;-)

Good luck! I have still had a few months where my period was topsy-turvy, but life is in all, much better than before BHRT.

I haven't fully read the info in the above link, but is it legal to take bioidentical hormones in our sport? I have stayed away from them but gained 12 lbs, lost mojo etc as I have gone from perimenopause to being menopausal. This year was my lowest motivation year ever! Stinks, as I still love the sport!
Quote Reply
Re: Perimenopausal/Menopausal [TrishM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrishM wrote:
I haven't fully read the info in the above link, but is it legal to take bioidentical hormones in our sport? I have stayed away from them but gained 12 lbs, lost mojo etc as I have gone from perimenopause to being menopausal. This year was my lowest motivation year ever! Stinks, as I still love the sport!

If it includes testosterone I would guess it's not legal. When I was racing bikes on the track and was on HRT, my surgeon had to change what she had been giving me, since she wouldn't in good conscience, sign a TUE to race legally. And I felt differently. Of course if you believe the rumors, many bike racing Masters men in a certain locale seem to have "low T issues" and docs with less of a conscience .

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Perimenopausal/Menopausal [TrishM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrishM wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
happyscientist wrote:

As Cathy already stated, testosterone and DHEA are both on the prohibited list according to WADA. Estrogen, progesterone, T4, and melatonin are not and can be used. The syringes in the photo show melatonin, which helps me sleep and T4. I take neither from this company, but I do use the progesterone and estrogen. They have stopped the hot flashes by bringing my hormone levels back to what they were in my youth. The down side, like brushing my teeth and bathing, is that it must now be done daily. Those hormones are NOT coming back any other way due to my age (nearly 60).

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply