Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The utility of peaty Scotch
Quote | Reply
My recent trial of Scotch did not go well. I liked someone here's description of "like licking a moss covered rock". Tonight, I poured a finger of Knob Creek (bourbon), threw in 2 ice cubes, then sipped about 10 minutes later. Tasty. 5 years ago, I tried bourbon for the first time- could not get Maker's Mark within 6 inches of taking a sip- I assume from ruination in college. Went to whisky sours for a few years, and have progressed to really liking bourbon. Maybe trying the Scotch was such overkill that bourbon became pleasant?

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: The utility of peaty Scotch [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let us know when you get through whiskey grammar school (bourbon) and are ready to go to the whisky pros (Scotch).

Seriously though, Knob Creek is nice. I've got a bottle of Blanton's waiting for the summer months. I prefer Scotch, but when the temperature gets over 65 degrees or so it's just not that appealing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it may make a good pesticide. Can't bring myself to do that to something that costs $5 / ounce though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like bourbon as well in addition to scotch, Woodfords is my go to, also like Jeffersons and Blanton's.

Someone here gave me a great tip on softening an overly peaty scotch (in my case Lagavulin 16) by adding a few drops of water. Takes out the bite from the peat and also brings out the smokiness, enhancing the flavor as a result.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to hate whiskey. Then tried bourbon over a couple of ice cubes and fell in love. Don't care who what the "experts" have to say about bourbon vs Scotch. I've tried scotch and meh. But maybe I just haven't tried the right ones.

On the bourbon side I've tried a healthy number of the reasonably prices ones, but my favorites so far though are Four Roses Single barrel and Four Roses Small Batch. Also like Russell's, Knob Creek, and Bulleit. Haven't tried anything really pricey yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a wide variety in bourbons, Scotch whiskies, ryes, etc. I find Blanton's bourbon to taste a bit like a Highland or Speyside Scotch. My experience has been that people start with something on the easier to drink scale, and move toward more complex stuff after awhile. It's the same with beer and coffee.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: The utility of peaty Scotch [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'll hit the ABC here and try a highland scotch.

As for coffee and beer... I'm pretty far down the trail on those.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's an acquired taste. I started drinking whiskey and cokes and when the coke ran out I found out I liked the whiskey on it's own. Similarly I ruined a decent bottle of scotch I received for my wedding by mixing it with amaretto. Now I like scotch with just one or two ice cubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lunchbox wrote:
I think I'll hit the ABC here and try a highland scotch.

As for coffee and beer... I'm pretty far down the trail on those.

That's what I'd do.

The Glenmorangie 10 is a good start. Also you could try Johnny Walker Black for a decent blend, or Glenlivet 12 which is also easy to drink by itself, but Is also good with some ice, soda, and a lemon wedge. Aberlour 12 is also an easy to drink Scotch with a bit of a sherry finish.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bourbon and Scotch are very different as are the differences between bourbons. Try them all and then drink what you like. I prefer the Wild Turkey line of bourbons best, but that's just my opinion. As I was once told by a master distiller. The best drink is the one YOU like best.
Quote Reply
Re: The utility of peaty Scotch [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i actually really like Johnny Walker Black - i know its not the best or the most flavorful, but its a pretty good bland thats never let me down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm more of a rum drinker, I'd assume because of my many years going to the Caribbean. My 92 yr old dad still enjoys his scotch and has some expensive brands in his cabinet. I like a good scotch with dad when visiting but really have no idea what a "good" scotch really is. Sort of like $20 vs $100. bottles of wine. I really can't tell the difference. But WTF, they're all alcohol and get you to the same place at the end of the night.
Quote Reply
Re: The utility of peaty Scotch [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing like a a good Cuba Libre made with rum and the tears of the oppressed. Add a dash of hopeless servitude for a little extra zing!

Alright, couldn't help it. I've been drinking Kraken for a few years now, but like the Captain Morgan special reserve as well.

I plan to hit the ABC for some Glenmorangie tomorrow. Also going to grill up a mess of sausages and make some cobbler for dessert.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lunchbox wrote:
Nothing like a a good Cuba Libre made with rum and the tears of the oppressed. Add a dash of hopeless servitude for a little extra zing!

OK Windy. But the Cubans still make some of the best rum. In fact the tears of the oppressed were the workers on starvation wages employed by Bacardi and Coca-Cola during the Batista years. After the revolution, Castro nationalized the factories and declared Cuba Libre (rum, coke and lime) as the national drink since he now owned the factories. At least that's one story. There are others on the internet but that one seems to be the folk culture one in Cuba.
Quote Reply
Re: The utility of peaty Scotch [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was fun ;-)

Quote Reply