Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Restaining a deck -- need sander recommendation
Quote | Reply
I need to re-stain 400 sq feet of deck. Most of the deck is in good condition. However, about 150 sq feet gets a fair amount of wear-and-tare from traffic to weather exposure. Boards are not warped and the deck wood is generally in good condition. Stain is latex solid color. Plan is to power wash, spot sand the healthy parts of the deck, and then more thoroughly sand the 150 sq feet that gets the most use. Looking for recommendations on a palm sander for the job. Need something that does not require compressed air. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Restaining a deck -- need sander recommendation [sea.bryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am looking at trying to rejuvenate a deck also.

Most of the things I have seen haven't including sanding. There was some scaping of old finishes if it was loose/flakey. But generally, just use deck cleaner and a stiff brush.
Quote Reply
Re: Restaining a deck -- need sander recommendation [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is certainly something to be said for simplicity.
Last edited by: sea.bryan: May 18, 17 11:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of wood is it and size are boards? You may need a sanding sponge also if it's concave at all. I have off and on refinished a deck that is Ipe. That looks amazing when sanded. The dock is pine which I will just pressure wash. Never sanded that unless there's a rough or splintered spot.

I have an older Dewalt 4x4 orbital palm sander. It's about 15 years old and still works great.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Restaining a deck -- need sander recommendation [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What finish did you put on the ipe deck after you sanded it? I have a weathered ipe deck that I need to refinish one of these days.

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: Restaining a deck -- need sander recommendation [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its Douglas Fir, I believe. Who ever laid it used 2" x 4", 12 feet in length.

I wish it was Ipe.
Quote Reply
Re: Restaining a deck -- need sander recommendation [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
What finish did you put on the ipe deck after you sanded it? I have a weathered ipe deck that I need to refinish one of these days.
I don't have a good answer for you on that. It has to be pressure washed at least once a year so we don't really go crazy with finish any more. It fades pretty quickly where we are and after 2-3 months is grey. If we finish it we just get whatever oil that works on IPE that's available.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would use a belt sander.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Palm sander is a bought light weight for 150 Sq ft. I would go belt sander., or rent a vibratory floor sander.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Restaining a deck -- need sander recommendation [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had not thought about going for the brute strength. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would use a variable speed sander/polisher with 7" velcro disks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would consider renting a bigger sander just to make life easier
Quote Reply