Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? May 15 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 15 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals this week: day off from running done, have a nice variation of speed and easy I managed that for like two days, swim 6x. done

swim: 6x, 7500 yds
run: 6x, 52.8 mi

My dissertation is due Thursday and I had a stressful week. Now I just have some polishing to do, and I'm not as stressed. :-) I also got some good news this morning - I landed my second grant! This grant is $3752 (yeah, amts are weird) and it supports an afterschool STEM club for next year. I'm excited because the STEM club is super awesome (but expensive to run ;-) and this money will be used by whomever takes over for me next year - so there's a nice pay-it-forward feeling to it.

Goals this week: day off from running, 6 swims, 1 bike. (I can get on my bike once!)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear your stress levels are down TC!

My goals were: 5 rides/150miles (I want to see if I can get to 621miles/1000km for the month), strength x 2

I didn't quite get there. I rode 4 times for about 95miles - one was my very first road race where I was first woman (and only woman) and once was VO2max intervals on the TT bike on the kickr because the weather was just gross; the other two were just easy rides. We skipped the club ride in favour of a lie-in but I feel like it was worth it. I did make it to the gym for 3 strength sessions though so that was a plus!

This week: 5 rides/150 miles and 2 strength sessions. Might be interesting trying to achieve the mileage because my mom arrives on Saturday for a 5 day visit but I won't know until I try. First solo time trial of the season is this week. About 13 miles and I would like to go sub 35 minutes which could be a stretch as I haven't actually ridden this course before so don't know what to expect. I do however have a skinsuit and aero helmet so maybe there will be some marginal gains?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Womens!

Grants! Great job! Those are a lot of work. Kudos for chasing them down.

Good week last week. Nailed all but one of my planned workouts.

Swim x3 (7600scy)
Bike x3 (2x trainer + 40 miles on road)
Run x4 (23.4m)

I was pretty knackered on my long run yesterday. Lead legs, concrete galoshes... Glad to have a recovery week ahead of me.

I finally took my new ride out. LOVE IT. Except I still have so much to do.
  1. Swap out extensions
  2. Change gearing to 11-32
  3. Change to 165 crankset (still not decided on gearing)
  4. Install Di2 Brifters (came with Di2 set up)
  5. Swap wheels (Flo 60/90 set up)

I hope to have it all done by this weekend. We'll see how it goes. I'm SUPER stoked on it. Pictures soon!

In the meantime, turn around point on my weekend long run yesterday. Boy has our weather been crappy - cold and windy.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started tigerchik -- congratulations on the grant (woo STEM!) and on being in the homestretch for your dissertation. I am looking forward to Dr. tigerchik starting off our threads soon :)

I raced this weekend so I was on a lovely little taper, my goals were:

Quote:
... a swim, 2 bikes, a run, 2 yoga classes and lots of water, foam rolling, and p/rehab, and then a 70.3. I'm bummed to still be on this old road bike my plan is to put together three consistent legs, ideally all a little faster than I've gone before. And to have fun.

I swam once, ran once, biked twice, did yoga twice, was diligent with my pre-race care and p/rehab, and raced my third 70.3 on Saturday.

The race went great! I felt very consistent across all three legs and did all three "a little faster than I've gone before." My splits were 35/2:53/1:42 with 10+ minutes in transition (everyone's transitions were LONG -- it was more than a quarter mile up a boat ramp into T1 and 3 city blocks for T2). Overall, I'm thrilled with my performance and execution.

Swim: It was a lake swim that they changed at the last minute due to windy conditions. There was chop but nothing like the ocean has been tossing me around in for the last few weeks. My swim was comfortable and consistent and I felt confident. I usually avoid the buoys but braved the melee this time so I had very little extra yardage (but did take a good kick in the mouth and I ended up with a fat lip).

Bike: The bike course was beautiful -- there was 2K of elevation but mostly over rolling countryside around gorgeous vineyards. Since I was on a road bike, I charged up any climb I could find but there wasn't much. Some headwinds made being upright tough choice but I am very happy with my bike.

Run: My run was solid and I negative split the course. It was mostly shaded and had a few miles of trail which I loved. It was a double loop with silly tight little turns and cloverleafs around aid stations which I didn't love. I have a lot more to give on the run but I was too scared of imploding to really speed up until mile 9. This race was a very useful experience for building confidence in my pacing, nutrition, and strategy.

Results: I am in a very competitive age group (the top 3 women in my division were also the top 3 women overall and beat quite a few pros) and was ONE SPOT from qualifying for 70.3 World Championships. I have a lot of room for improvement but this weekend was encouraging and I am proud of my results! I think my road bike and I are going to look for a course with more climbing and try to grab a spot for Chattanooga at a race next month.

I feel great today but will probably take it easy most of the week -- 2 or 3 yoga classes, a little climbing, maybe some paddle boarding. I'll return to strength training later this week and then get back to triathlon-specific training over the weekend.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 15 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done! Sounds like an excellent race. Looking forward to hearing about which race you pick for next month.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 15 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, thank you Scheherazade -- I really surprised myself and am excited by my progress, especially on my swim! It took me a long time to get excited about sports again but the triathlon community (and especially Womens I've met on this forum and at races) has been so supportive and encouraging. I'm really enjoying the journey.

Right now, I am considering Coeur d'Alene 70.3 at the end of the June. It looks nice and hilly and it's drive-able from SoCal. I need to check in with my coach (who may temper my expectations at this distance), look into travel / budgets (I have back to back weddings 6,000 miles apart in June), and with my training partner who also had a great race and was on the cusp for Chattanooga. Fingers crossed!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exciting news from all the womens so far. TC, what is the process for your dissertation approval? Do you have to do a defense in front of a panel? I had to do that, plus this day long exam in my subject area. Both were pretty tough.

Well, my race performance exceeded my expectations. I managed to break 12 minute miles on the 10K run for the Oly, and snagged a spot on the podium. It's so funny because when I started tri, bike was the hardest and least favorite part for me. Now it's my favorite.

I have to get a big lead on the bike, because I can't hold my own on the run. To give an example, from this weekend's Oly (remembering that I'm an old lady), I was smack in the middle for females overall for the swim; in the top 30% for the bike; and in the bottom 80% for the run.

Encouraged by a fellow at one of our LBS, I took a look at the cycling races in our area. My Oly times are in the ball park for the old lady category for the 40K TT, and that's with a swim in front, and leaving gas in the tank for the 10K run. I haven't made any decisions yet, but I'm thinking about trying out cycling TT next year. Anyone here ever do this?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: How was your week? May 15 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
especially as it's for STEM (or MINT here in Germany)

Ah - cool - can you spell out the acronym for me?

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 15 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great work Tri3! Did you get any cool podium bling?

Last year the only races I did were bike races and it'll probably be the same this year. I got into it not because I'm particularly fast but because cycling was the only thing I could do after hurting my knee skiing. I'd say go for it! I only do my club races so nothing too serious and no worries about upgrade points or anything like that.

The first TT I showed up at I was shocked by all the disc wheels, aero helmets and skinsuits. They say triathletes are bad for "having all the gear" but these guys just blew every triathlete I know out of the water.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 15 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
First solo time trial of the season is this week. About 13 miles and I would like to go sub 35 minutes which could be a stretch as I haven't actually ridden this course before so don't know what to expect. I do however have a skinsuit and aero helmet so maybe there will be some marginal gains?!

Quote:
one was my very first road race where I was first woman (and only woman)

Have a good race and congrats on the win at your first road race!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Exciting news from all the womens so far. TC, what is the process for your dissertation approval? Do you have to do a defense in front of a panel? I had to do that, plus this day long exam in my subject area. Both were pretty tough.

I have a defense on June 1. I'll give a 45 min talk, followed by 15 minutes of Q & A from the audience (profs not on my committee, other students). Then there's a 1 to 2 hr session with my committee asking me questions about the dissertation or anything else they feel like asking (lol). I anticipate that to be closer to the 1 hour mark. One committee member did some pre-reading of one of my papers (I have a "paper model" dissertation in which I wrote two journal articles and they're bookended by an intro chapter and a conclusion).

Almost everyone has to make some sort of revisions, so I am expecting some minor revisions (I hope they are not major). They split into passing/failing the oral defense, and passing/failing the written. Typically people pass the oral part and pass the written part (the dissertation itself) with the condition that the minor revisions get made. There are certainly horror stories of people not passing, but that tends to be the advisor's fault --- they are supposed to let you defend only when they are almost certain you will pass. I'm not worried about that happening for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at all the womens kicking ass! Way to go, ladies!

Last week's goals:
swim x 1: win
bike x 1: win
run x 6: win - just over 57km
core/strength x 4: win

Weather was looking iffy for the weekend on Friday so we didn't pack anything, but despite thundershowers predicted for the afternoon and rain that evening we decided to go for it. Spot of bother getting out of town - we had a car service appointment that morning that was supposed to be from 8am-11am but didn't get the car back until 3pm - but we were finally at our site by 4:30pm and had camp set up by quarter past 5.

I've never owned a tent that occupied more than half a platform before!

I had a couple of hours left before sunset to get a run in on the trails at Pinehurst, which is the site of a long-standing October trail run called Run for the Toad - I ran the 25k as one of my first trail races all the way back in 2011, and it was my first 50k in 2013. The course isn't technical at all but it does have some pretty bits.

Not exactly SLOgoing's mountain views, but the best that Paris, ON can do!

I made it back just in time to change up and go down to the beach with Tank for a sunset picnic and for him to cast a line in the water a few times.

A few spatters of rain while we were setting up camp, nothing for the afternoon and evening, then showers started up again just after midnight as I was baking us some dessert in the dutch oven on the fire. We ate blueberry raspberry flognarde at our picnic table under the shelter of a tarp, then called it a night. Rain showers blew through all through the dark hours, but we were snug and warm in our enormous nylon cabin, and awoke to brilliant sunshine reflecting off the raindrops on our tent and the trilliums around our site.

The wind picked up, helping to dry out the tent & tarp so we didn't have to pack things away wet - just sat and enjoyed coffee and breakfast by the fire while we waited for things to sort themselves out.

Having left our campsite clean as a whistle, we drove over to the day-use beach area so Tank could do some more fishing and I went for another run on the trails.

Those were my last trail runs before the 100k, and I felt ok - hips were a bit tight, but I did have a massage on Friday evening and it could have been due to my first night of the year on a sleeping pad, too. All in all it was a super fun 24hrs!

This week's goals:
run x 4
swim x 1
core/strength x 4

We've had a backpacking trip planned for this coming (long) weekend for months, so I'll run Mon-Thurs and then spend Sat-Mon hiking in the woods with my sweetheart as part of my taper.

Quote | Reply
Well, I swam last week! I swam once in December and before than hadn't swum since August. I knew I wasn't doing any tris any time soon, so I didn't bother. And I was having some health issues causing anxiety causing me to hyperventilate in the pool, which wasn't fun. But I'm feeling better and it was actually nice to get back in the water, something I never thought I'd say a few years ago, haha.

I had a looooong work event Saturday and Mother's Day brunch with my mom Sunday so I didn't get in any weekend training, but still managed a few runs, a trainer ride, and a barre class during the week in addition to my swim, so it wasn't a total loss. I'm still deciding if I want to shoot for a fall marathon, do some tris this summer, or what. I will be out of town the weekend of my usual summer kickoff tri so things are still up in the air.

I'm very inspired by all the Womens doing amazing things last week, defending dissertations (we are athletic AND smart!), taking on new athletic challenges, having excellent races, taking backpacking trips -- you ladies are all great!

Tomorrow Mr. Miles and I are celebrating 9 years of wedded bliss so it'll be a day off training to go out to a nice dinner and maybe drinks, but I ran yesterday and plan to run today so it'll work out fine. I might not make it to the pool this week, but fingers crossed I can take my bike out for an actual ride on the road... we'll see. I don't have a darn thing scheduled for the weekend and I'd like to keep it that way!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a week for the Womens!

Way to go, Tri3 -- hearty congratulations! TT sounds really exciting and it seems liked you'd be fantastic and have fun.

As always, great pictures misstressk -- thanks for sharing your adventures. Good luck on the 100K!

Anna s, thank you -- I am thrilled about my swim progress! Since returning to running, I've tended to avoid road races so I've never really "raced" a half but I have run a few with friends / for a good cause -- my best of those is a 1:33 on a flat course. I know I have more speed but I'm leery about bumping up my mileage or ramping up the intensity given my history of injury. I spent a lot of time being relatively fast but hurt so I'd rather just build very cautiously ("a slow kettle still boils"). Right now, I'm averaging about 15 miles per week on two or three runs and I think increasing my bike fitness and more practice running off the bike will help me feel more confident and get more experience so I can eventually speed up.
That's such encouraging news about your climbing club -- I love when I see young female climbers sending their routes flexing their physical and mental muscles :D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cool!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Anna s, running is my background and I put in a lot of work (and made a lot of mistakes) over the years. It wasn't my intention to brag saying I wasn't "racing" and I still worked hard in those "fun" 13.1 races. I appreciate your encouragement.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 15 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SoCalTricurious wrote:
Thanks Anna s, running is my background and I put in a lot of work (and made a lot of mistakes) over the years. It wasn't my intention to brag saying I wasn't "racing" and I still worked hard in those "fun" 13.1 races. I appreciate your encouragement.

I certainly didn't take at as you bragging. And I'm jealous of your skills.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 15 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Anna s and edbikebabe *blushes*

Quote Reply