Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [BrianLooney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys,

I have a 2015 Speed Concept 9 (Large 56cm) and need a little bit of the communities help on fitting the right Stem and riser for my Ironman use. I'm 6 foot 1 and fairly flexible.

My last professional fitting was on a Cervelo P2C size 56cm frame. The fitter gave me the following measurements when he'd finished:

Stem: 8cm
Frame Size: 56cm
Saddle height: 77.2cm
Saddle fore/aft: 2.5cm
Reach: 49.5.cm
Drop: 10.5cm

I currently use the medium far stem and 30mm riser. Dash Strike 9 saddle with Ergo short bars.

Can anyone suggest the best Stem and riser to use please?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrianLooney wrote:
Here are photos of my 2015 Trek 7.5 Speed Concept after upgrading to SRAM eTap shifting.
I'm really liking it so far. I have BlipGrips at the end of the extension bars and blips on the inside of the lower horns just under the tape. I changed the brake levers to be Bontrager XXX with the adjustable tension. The blip box is mounted right above the stem with industrial velcro. It was great to pull the shifting cables out of the frame - and leave them out.
Nice work. Have you rode yet? My aero bars felt too short with the clics.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl. I know without seeing my bike you may not be able to answer this, but here goes. I'm out for a ride this morning and the Di2 aerobar shifter for the rear cassette isn't working. I can shift down to a smaller gear, but can't shift up. Then by the time I get home, I can't shift down. All other shifters (other aerobar shifter and both shifters on the base bar) work. I am trying to prevent loosing more training time by having my bike in the shop for another week, any suggestions what the cause may be and can I fix it myself? Thanks Carl.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only had it out twice and it worked great. Unfortunately my last trip ended too soon with a pinch flat and a realization that I wasn't quite as prepared to fix a flat as I thought. My new 60mm deep rims need a tube with a removable core and valve extension. I'll have all the parts next time. I did find that my hands were at the very ends of the aero bars - but that feels just fine. And I really like being able to shift from the lower bars around traffic and intersections - much safer. I just need to work on my motor now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bought myself a 2017 Speed Concept 7 frame and getting it built with Ultegra Di2. Super excited.

My fitter recommended that I get some arm pad risers based upon my fit coordinates. I've trolled through some of these posts but there are a bunch of them and I can't quite tell if all of them apply to the 2017 frame. What are my options? Is there some sort of kit I need to buy or does something come with the frame?

Thanks
bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a clearer picture of my fit coordinates.

Looking for some input on getting some more stack height (I think). I keep hearing about these mono spacers but I have no idea where to even get them. I just bought a Speed Concept 7.5 frame. Any advice on what size spacers I may need.

This fit was done on a Cervelo with an adjustable stem but you can ignore that for now. Cervelo doesn't fit me at all.

Thanks all.
Bob
Last edited by: Bob S: May 17, 17 7:13
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Bob S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Carl has left the building. He is no longer with Trek (left on good terms) and I'm 95% sure he's no longer responding here. That said, if you take your fit coordinates it's pretty easy to work out which size Speed Concept, what stem, what riser, etc from the Speed Concept fit guide.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow - that is bigly bad news that Carl has left us - his depth of knowledge on Trek Speed Concept bikes is legendary. He has been a bright spot of this whole forum for me. Lets hope he is happy at his next adventure and maybe he'll continue to contribute. (I can't imagine him riding anything but a Trek!!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

Thought it best to ask here, as opposed to starting an entire new thread.

Just curious if anyone knew what happened to the Project One option for SC 7 series. Id love a SC, but the stock 7 is ugly as hell, and the 9 is well outside of my price range.

Todd
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ToddRodd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToddRodd wrote:
Hi guys,

Thought it best to ask here, as opposed to starting an entire new thread.

Just curious if anyone knew what happened to the Project One option for SC 7 series. Id love a SC, but the stock 7 is ugly as hell, and the 9 is well outside of my price range.

Todd

Project 1 was switched to only 9 series for 2017.

You could always get your 7 series custom sprayed, but you do lose your trek warranty in this case unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for replying.

I guess il have to find a different bike.:))
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ToddRodd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have the 7.5 also, which is a different color scheme than the 7.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bought a cheaper wheelset to use as training wheels on my 7.5, my question is how do you get the rear wheel off without removing the lower faring? I heard some one say you just wrestle it off, but it feels like I will damage the derailier.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jareed58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't need to remove the speed fin, to take off the rear wheel.

I've done it hundreds of times and it's very simple. I find it easiest to put it in the big ring and smallest cog.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also put it in the large ring and small cog, but it wedges itself in the fin. I try rotating the derailer and it seems to bind up more. No YouTube videos on it. Just generic rear wheel removal.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jareed58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remove the skewer. It's much much easier to take out the wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi!

I'm pretty sure this has been covered many times in this thread, but I'm not very good at performing a search (can we search within a thread???)

Anyway, here's the problem.

I love my new 7.5, however, I do not like the feeling of the rear brake at all. It feels "snappy" when I first engage the brake, and the brake has absolutely no power. I can move the brake lever to the point where it touches the bar, and the brake is still very weak.

I brought the bike to the LBS last week, and they changed nothing. They think it's normal.

I remember reading that there is a part that is quite easy to install improperly. I wonder if that could be my problem. Can someone help me with this?

Thank you,
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [madmax231] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rear brake is sensitive to cable length. It will also give a little as the cable end stops bed in. I'm surprised you saying the shop thinks it normal. Either have a quiet word that you think it's bedded in a bit more than normal, or that you can draw the lever to the bar. It sounds like it just needs retensioning - moving the wedge up thecable a few mm, or possibly adjusting the pads in a touch.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I checked the service manual and decided I would have a look at the mechanism myself.

Found out that the three bolts that holds the speedfin in place were completely loose. I'm quite surprised, because the shop I bought the bike from has a very good reputation. Anyway...

Should I adjust the wedge so that there is a little bit of preload on the brake spring? Seems to me that this would totally remove the "snapping" feeling I have in that brake handle, and would probably allow me to adjust the brake to feel a little bit more "normal"

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As you've picked the bike up new like that, I'd have a word! The cover bolts don't need to be anything more than nipped up, but that doesn't sound right.

Yes, you can load-up the wedge a bit. The idea of the design is to keep the pads wide so you can use different wheels without reassembling. But, if you not doing that, then making sure there's a bit of tension in the cable is fine.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this is readily available in another post or thread, I apologize...looking for some sort of common-sense guide with pictures on how to make simple adjustments to the rear brake on my 2017 SC 7.5. I replaced the pads and it's now off-center on my wheel (having nothing to do with the pads themselves)...thinking I somehow moved it to one side and nervous to fiddle with it. If it's easy enough to explain on here, that's awesome too. Thanks in advance for helping out a SC newbie!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [LohmanTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a pair of 2mm hex bolts on the non-drive side of the rear brake that provide individual brake arm adjustment. They work just like the one on the front brake. You will need a fairly long 2mm hex to reach the opposite arm adjustment bolt though.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent, thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually need to keep those bolts a little loose. If I tighten them fully, then the rear brake has a tendency to stick occasionally. If they are just a little loose, then things work well.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the replies so far!
Quote Reply

Prev Next