Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Research at UT-Austin
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone,

I am a Ph.D. student in the exercise science department and Anatomy instructor at the University of Texas. My research focuses on low back pain. The particular sub-group I am looking at is women with postpartum stress urinary incontinence. I am looking at hip strength as it relates to this. If any of you have had this happen please send me an email to UTpiriformis@gmail.com. I would be very interested to speak with you and talk to you about being part of this study. We are looking at a particular muscle in the hip called the piriformis and it's response to pelvic floor activity. How does this fit into triathlon? Well, if we can strengthen your PF it might affect your hip strength but we need to test different ways to do that. We will also compensate you with $50.00 for the one time 3-hour session.

Thanks!

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Research at UT-Austin [timmyflash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What evidence is there that the piriformis needs strengthening? Isn't it most of the time tight (short) and overactive?
It is a synergistic muscle with the biceps femoris and the thigh adductors. Women who have had children are even more likely than the general population to have weak core muscles and weak hip extensors and internal rotators, like the gluts, and tight hip flexors, hamstrings and adductors. (I am talking about the general populus, not elite athletes).

I am curious as to what preliminary data you have that supports your theory that the piriformis needs strengthening.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Research at UT-Austin [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I record electrical activity within muscle. There is very little motor unit (the nerve and all the fibers it innervates) data on this particular muscle. We believe it is an extremely important muscle due to its attachments to the sacrum, femur, sacrotubeous ligament and the endopelvic fascia of the pelvic diaphragm. We are collecting pilot data right now. We are testing the hypothesis that may be an important muscle to consider in individuals with dysfunctional pelvic diaphragm muscles. For as many claims as their are about the piriformis there is very little good data to support those claims about what it actually does and how it affects people. We are looking at it's role in a single leg stance and examining several variables. I am not looking to prove anything but rather gather more information about what this muscle actually does relative to the claims that are made about it as well as if there is any pattern that exists in it's order of recruitment relative to the superficial hip muscles during a single leg stance. As a pilates instructor trainer and a sports massage therapist, I treat the muscle often clinically but also understand that while these treatments may be correct they are not well supported by the literature. What we want to do is start to examine muscle in various populations a bit more closely. One possible reason there is not a lot of good literature on the muscle is because it is so deep. I have to take 3.5 inch needs to place the electrodes via doppler ultrasound guidance. It doesn't hurt but it does take quite a bit of skill. I have a doctor who is extremely experienced with this place all the electrodes in the piriformis for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a great project (and a tough one). Good luck with subject recruitment! (disclaimer - I am a NM/EMG doc.)

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Research at UT-Austin [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump for a fellow PhD student!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you might try posting this on LetsRun too if you haven't already

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Research at UT-Austin [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will do and thank you! if you have a race coming up this summer would be great to meet you! im in for IM 70.3 lubbock, calgary and qijing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calgary is *almost* my neck of the woods. Enjoy the race - I see they are marketing it as flat and fast this year?! Stop by Village Ice Cream for a recovery snack!
Quote Reply
Re: Research at UT-Austin [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will do! I teach at Calgary Pilates Centre by "the joyce" downtown. I will look for you!
Quote Reply