Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? May 8 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?
Fun question for the week - what's your favourite color?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 8 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am not going to set goals this week as I seem to have strained a muscle in my back. :-(

This got gradually better and bugged me most in the pool as it was hard to rotate. I swam mostly breaststroke, elementary backstroke, and sidestroke until Sunday. Total of 6 runs for 56.4 miles and 7 swims for 7800 yds.

Goals this week: day off from running, have a nice variation of speed and easy, swim 6x.

My favourite color is brown - the color of chocolate!!!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a pretty good week! My goals were: ride x 5 (ideally hit 100+miles for the week), strength x 2 (one done)

And I accomplished: 5 rides/156.5 miles (just over 9 hours of riding); and both strength sessions. The club ride yesterday was a total sufferfest in the wind but I made it to the end and slept like a log last night.

For the coming week, goal is: 5 rides/150miles (I want to see if I can get to 621miles/1000km for the month), strength x 2. I am also going to give my first road race a go - 3 laps, 38km total.

I have food goals as well; there were a lot of cookies eaten last week and cocktails and wine as well. Time to exercise some moderation!

My favourite colour is probably blue but grey is up there as well! What about you TC?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started tigerchik, I'm glad your back is feeling better.

I've been moving into a taper and last week my goal's were:
Quote:
3 swims, 3 bikes, 3 runs, 2 or 3 yoga, and daily p/rehab. Hoping for a real nice long ocean swim on Saturday!

I did 3 swims and 3 runs but only bikes and 2 yoga classes. I did my p/rehab every day except Sunday when I totally dropped the ball. I didn't get in my long ocean swim either -- on Saturday the ocean was so so big and choppy that I spent more time talking/helping people through exit and entry than actually swimming. And that's okay because it means my swimming has progressed enough that I can be a helper. After the swim, I ran six easy trail miles with a group that always run afters but I've never been able to join because I always have a workout planned. It's an easy, chatty and fun group and I had such a nice time. I think tapering is good for my social life.

It's race week this week so I'll lay pretty low till Saturday -- a swim, 2 bikes, a run, 2 yoga classes and lots of water, foam rolling, and p/rehab, and then a 70.3. I'm bummed to still be on this old road bike my plan is to put together three consistent legs, ideally all a little faster than I've gone before. And to have fun. I have a bunch of friends doing this race and it's in a great area so we should have a really good weekend.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Favorite color! This week it is green - the color of my new bike. It used to be red (color of my now cracked bike). Green is fast. Like cash.

My week! Amazing. I got my new bike! I'm still working on tricking it out, so no pics yet. It has been frustrating to have to keep my old bike in the trainer. The crack isn't life threatening while in the trainer, but I don't dare take it out on the road and risk catastrophic failure at 35 mph. So, last week, bike x4 in the trainer.

Swim x1
Bike x4
Run x3

I've been focused on getting time in on the bike. I lost a lot of bike fitness at the beginning of the year so I'm working to get it back.

Enjoyed a blustery trail run on Saturday.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No formal goals for last week, but I did core/strength/mobility x 4, walked x 5, and was back running by Wednesday after work (total of 4 runs for the week 44.5km).

We haven't had the severe flooding that parts east of us have (thinking of you, surroundhound! Hope you're starting to dry out and your back is feeling better), but living in Grand River country means a lot of trails were washed out. I didn't want to hit singletrack because of all the rain (it does damage that's difficult to repair when you walk, run or ride on muddy trails), but had some interesting times on rail trail re-routing around flooded sections or just plain fording through knee-deep water.

Grand River Trail flooding

I did investigate some of the singletrack side trails along the GRT, though some of them were flooded and impassable. Found a nice root well, though.

I hit a different section of the GRT on Sunday, closer to home. Unfortunately the top end of the trail was impassable:

It's not much deeper than the bits I waded through the day before, but the difference was that there is a strong flow of water from a creek coming from the right that would mix with the current from the Grand River - too high a chance that, at knee deep or a little more, it could take my feet right out from under me. I'm a solid swimmer, but it was only 7c/45f and the water was even colder, so no thanks.

Of course, that meant I had to take the road route to bypass this section, which meant I had to run past this (further upstream on the creek that feeds into the Grand). It's a tough life.

At the bottom end of the trail I found what I'd hoped for - the massive wall of trilliums that bloom there for just a few short days each year.

They're the official flower of my province, and a treat to see each spring!

This week's goals:
swim x 1
bike x 1 (done)
run x 6
core/strength x 4

We're also hoping to camp (depending on weather, as I am fighting off a cold) this Saturday night to try out the enormous new tent we bought just for ultra racing - it's big enough that my 6' husband will be able to stand straight inside, and we shouldn't have to crouch to get in & out through the doors. I have a couple of races this year at which we'll be camping on-site both the night before and after the race, and would like to have a test run with the new kit before we go trying to set it up (potentially in the dark) on the Friday night before running 56km through technical backcountry trails on Saturday morning.

Good luck this weekend SoCalTriCurious!

Oh, and my favourite colour is red...though black and blue are strong candidates as well.

Last edited by: mistressk: May 10, 17 7:48
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 8 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great pictures and story-telling as always!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 8 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do tell - what tent did you get?? We have a nice tent we can pack but it is TINY for my 6'2" hubby. Good thing he's a side sleeper who curls up into a ball.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training was so-so last week. During the week I ran twice and did one weights video. I wanted to do a fun Cinco de Mayo 5K Friday but it was cold and rainy and gross outside, and paying money to run in that sounded like the worst idea ever, haha, so I was a lazy bum instead. The weekend was busy with a family event Saturday and a friend's event Sunday, but I did manage a trainer ride and a 12-mile run with a fast (well, "fast") finish.

I'm trying to be kinder to myself, not beating myself up because I have time for "only" one workout per day. Usually a workout, whatever errands/tasks need to be done, and cooking dinner and prepping food for the next day takes up my entire evening. I already get to bed too late as it is, so 4:30 am wakeups and early morning workouts are not happening right now. Part of me is discouraged because I have fallen pretty far from peak 70.3 fitness a few years ago, but the other part is eh, this is fine for now.

My favorite color is bright, lizard/electric/leaf/apple green! My purse is bright green and a lot of my kitchen is bright green -- towels, my KitchenAid mixer, French press, etc. It's such a bright and happy color.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello sisters,
I've been absent for a few weeks, caring for a relative who had major surgery, then digging out from under work.

At the beginning of the year I had hoped to toe the line on a Half this May. I'm not going to make it. The whole left side of my body is still too screwed up from the back injury. Five years later and I'm still dealing with this. It's getting very old. Instead of the Half I'll do an Olympic. I'm a little worried about finishing the run. I'm still unable to do more than 3 miles without walking. I'm planning on a 1 mile run/1 minute walk. We'll see how it goes.

Although I haven't posted, when I've been able I've taken at peek at the Womens. Glad to see that all are still here. As always, lots of great tales.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 8 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pictures , wow!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 8 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're back! I was wondering where you'd disappeared to. Sorry you've had rough stuff to deal with. Stay strong sister!!

Doing the oly will be good and there ain't nothing wrong with a little walking. You'll get it back. Just keep pressing onward!

Cheers!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 8 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
Do tell - what tent did you get?? We have a nice tent we can pack but it is TINY for my 6'2" hubby. Good thing he's a side sleeper who curls up into a ball.

My mom actually got it for Tank for his birthday gift - we wanted one big enough to stand without crouching, but also very simple to put up and take down as he'll be almost on his own to pack it up after I race a 50 miler in September (I wasn't much help packing up our MSR Mutha Hubba last July after the 12-hour). I also wanted something I had confidence would not start to leak if a rainstorm moved in at 1am the night before a race, so based on reviews we picked the Mountain Hardwear Optic 6. It was an OutdoorGearLab Top Pick and I've been a fan of MHW's gear for years, though I've only ever seen one of their tents in a store before.

We wondered if it might end up being a replacement for the Mutha Hubba for motorcycle touring, but the thing is MONSTROUS. Far too big when packed for me to consider strapping to my already-heavily-laden bike - its stuff sack is full duffel bag size with a shoulder strap and everything. Could probably fit 4 of the standard folding camp chairs in it, which would weigh about the same as this beast. We haven't set it up yet, but unpacking it and unrolling it in our kitchen was eye-opening; we're basically calling it "the cabana" as it's more of a portable nylon cottage than a tent!

Welcome back Tri3! Walking or no, most people would use a back injury like yours to sit on the couch and eat chips all day, so you're already kicking ass just by getting out there and racing!

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the encouragement, MK! Back or no back that "couch and chips" thing remains a constant temptation.

I've been on a tent hunt myself lately, without much luck. I deeply, deeply regret throwing out our 25+ year old backpack and car camp tents. The pu coating had deteriorated and metal fittings were rusted through. Nonetheless, looking at the price and quality of tents today, I can't help but wonder if it would have been better to fix up the old tents.

I have observed that the best prices are to be had in Winter on the previous year's stock/models. We ended up getting a Marmot 4P Halo at a very good price for car camping. Weight and volume are pretty good for the size--with nearly 5 foot standing room. The big drawback is that the entire upper of the tent is mesh, so it got downright chilly, even with the rain fly on and shut down, when the temps dropped below 40F at night.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 8 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh my - I have an embarrassing number of tents. Between my solo backpacking tent, our 2-person backcountry (backpacking/canoeing) tent, our 4-season tent, the Mutha Hubba for motorcycle touring (which used to be our car camping tent as well), plus an old el-cheapo we have from 15 years ago, my husband's little Wentzel pup tent from before he met me, and some monstrosity our neighbour just up and gave us that we've never had the wherewithal to even open up and inspect - the thing is in two bags almost as big as the new tent each! - we could probably bring our whole town out to camp with us! Then there's the endless packs, sleeping bags, cookware, and other camping kit...plus all the triathlon and ultrarunning stuff. We basically live in a gear shed with a bed and a couple of couches wedged in.

Almost all of our tents have mostly- or entirely mesh inner walls (exception: the 4 season tent). We find a good high R-value sleeping pad and a sleeping bag rated to a bit colder a temperature than you expect to work well, plus you can always heat some water and pour it into a nalgene to bring with you into your bag. A few squats and jumping jacks to get your core warm before bed works, too, not to mention a snack eaten right before you turn in. If you keep some clothes - like a fleece jacket - in your bag with you at night it can also help occupy empty space to make your bag more thermally efficient, plus you can throw it on in the night if you're really chilly. It also means you have warm clothes to put on in the morning!

Quote | Reply
Yeah, I know those tricks. Used to winter camp in a hut in the mountains of northern NH, when it got down to -36F at night, and high of 3F during the day. On that particular trip it was so cold that the metal bindings on my snow shoes, which I had left outside over night, snapped.

I usually don't drink my calories, particularly on a short Oly, but plan to on Sat to help keep warm in the cold and rain while on the bike.

Quote Reply