Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Secondhand Dimond [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In response to the "Dimond Mafia" or whatever you want to call them, claiming the they have an awesome warranty. I think it is interesting, that they only have a 6y warranty on their frames, where most companies like Trek/Diamonback/Cervelo/etc.. provide lifetime warranties for their frames (forks/full suspension bikes not included), so most Tri bikes have lifetime warranty on the frames where they only cover 6years. To me that hints at the fact they expect you to have to replace your frame after 6years, and not to be able to use it for as long as you want to.

Yes these warranties are all to original owner.
Last edited by: tyme: Apr 28, 17 14:16
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyme wrote:
In response to the "Dimond Mafia" or whatever you want to call them, claiming the they have an awesome warranty. I think it is interesting, that they only have a 6y warranty on their frames, where most companies like Trek/Diamonback/Cervelo/etc.. provide lifetime warranties for their frames (forks/full suspension bikes not included), so most Tri bikes have lifetime warranty on the frames where they only cover 6years. To me that hints at the fact they expect you to have to replace your frame after 6years, and not to be able to use it for as long as you want to.

OR...it's because they, Dimond, does not have the resources, money and leverage that the other brands do and they are attempting to limit their liability and losses. Personally, the warranty should be built into the price of the product which is typical and would argue given the price point for a Dimond they should be offering a better warranty, but perhaps they can't afford to?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree, just reading this makes me shake my head:
https://www.dimondbikes.com/warranty-and-returns/

...Bicycle frames do not last forever...

i wonder how many frames they sold so far, clearly the percentage of frames with issues is much higher than someone who pays that much money should expect (accept).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tyme wrote:

From a recent comment in a thread on Facebook about all this.

"TJ's Ruster Sports Armored Hen House bike bag customer service needs lessons too. Here's a pic of my bike bag and the seams coming apart after approximately 5-6 flights with it. There is a 2" hole in the bag where the seams split. In spite of Ruster Sports well advertised 10yr warranty, TJ specifically let me know the seams coming apart defect is considered normal wear and tear (in 5-6 uses) and not covered by his warranty. He also added that his Ruster Sports bags are made of the highest quality. Wow?! Seriously?! I have an email to prove this. Lastly he offered $50 towards another new Ruster Sports Bag! Why not use that $50 to ship and fix my bike bag?"
https://ibb.co/kGbG5k

Salton Sea Triathlon Club
“I swim to get to the bike. I run because nobody gives a shit about aquabike.”
Last edited by: getbarreled: Apr 28, 17 15:24
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [bikecritic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bikecritic wrote:
Agree, just reading this makes me shake my head:
https://www.dimondbikes.com/warranty-and-returns/

...Bicycle frames do not last forever...

i wonder how many frames they sold so far, clearly the percentage of frames with issues is much higher than someone who pays that much money should expect (accept).

Where is Alanis Morissette when you need her. But seriously the policy looks pretty similar to many others. I know I was annoyed when my Trek SC stem cracked on me after a year. At $200+ I was not super thrilled but sure enough when I look back it was just the frame that was covered by Lifetime. And even Lifetime I believe has some limit of something like 10 years but I could be wrong.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Apr 28, 17 15:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
getbarreled wrote:
You know Garmin offers crash replacements and even some lost device replacements, right?

I've heard about $99 replacements if you send in one damaged from a crash. I haven't heard of getting a replacement or $99 deal for a lost one. That seems like it'd be difficult from Garmin's perspective. E.g. distinguishing between people who really lost them from people "losing" them to get a 2-for-1 deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just had my Thule tore up by American Airlines.....ughhhh.

Honestly, any respectable company will back their product from defect no matter who owns it. Buck knives replaced a broken blade and handle on a 200$ knife that I found in the desert.....free of charge. Horton Crossbows sent me a scope for a crossbow that I had purchased second hand......no questions asked....free of charge. Ogio sent me a new transition bag when my straps started tearing..... I can go on. I will remain faithful to all of these companies because of their excellent customer service.

I don't think companies always have to do things free especially in this case. But the fact remains that when you do your best to accommodate customers (even if the aren't direct). You gain trust, faithfulness to your brand and word of mouth advertising.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Actually, the only time I've heard of replacement for lost Garmins was in the context of them going missing during OWS of a race while on a quick release.
I wonder if they use GPS data to verify that.
I didn't know you were speaking specifically to lost items only. Thought you were speaking more generally.

Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [sharkbaitguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sharkbaitguy wrote:
OR...it's because they, Dimond, does not have the resources, money and leverage that the other brands do and they are attempting to limit their liability and losses. Personally, the warranty should be built into the price of the product which is typical and would argue given the price point for a Dimond they should be offering a better warranty, but perhaps they can't afford to?

Great point. And exactly why a brand like this shouldn't be considered in the same breath as brands like Cervelo, Trek, Specialized, etc. If they don't have the resources to provide competitive warranties (or customer service for that matter), why even consider them in the first place? Especially when they command similar or higher prices at retail.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sort of difficult to use GPS to verify that when the device is on the bottom of the lake....
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [PoorLBSEmployee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha I'm dumb! I didn't think about that it would have never uploaded.

Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
sharkbaitguy wrote:

Great point. And exactly why a brand like this shouldn't be considered in the same breath as brands like Cervelo, Trek, Specialized, etc. If they don't have the resources to provide competitive warranties (or customer service for that matter), why even consider them in the first place? Especially when they command similar or higher prices at retail.

OK, gonna counter this one. If that makes me 'mafia', OK....
I think it is really important to consider what those 'lifetime' warranties cover. They cover manufacturing defects. Fact is, if there is a 'defect' in your frame that is gonna cause a failure/crack/whatever, its gonna show before 6 years!
I know I know, everyone has a story of a guy they know who got a free bike after xxx years, etc. But seriously, how long do most of us keep these bikes before replacing them, and how often have you had a 5+ year old frame and had it completely replaced for free under a warranty?
I'd been riding a trek SC for the past 4 years, awesome bike, but not without issues. Broke two of the expensive integrated stems (they cracked), first one wasn't covered because over a year old, second one that I bought was covered because it broke in 8 months. Some other issues related to the frame too, none of which are being covered under warranty.
I've always believed that 'lifetime warranty' is just a marketing gimmick, its not realistic.

I guess we are getting off topic. For the record, I believe the OP had a legitimate issue that could have been handled better, thats all. He's moved on and everyone is happy. I've offered to let him test ride my bike if he dares show his face at IMMT.... ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having the bike out on the road (and perhaps riding it fast) sure does improve the sales number for Dimond. Assuming that the exchange went down the way it did, Dimond probably lost some revenue in the long riun.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
sharkbaitguy wrote:

Do those other brand warranty for second, third, fourth hand customers?

Also, I had more trouble getting my Scott warrantied than my Dimond, they were impossible to get hold of quickly or return calls or emails. I have seen issues with Felt's (shitty bayonet forks), Trek (rear brake), Cervelo's (creaky BB) that too way longer than my single 2 minute phone call to Dimond and some were not fixed at all. I don't think the bigger companies are small enough to deal individually with people, which I understand, I think they lack the resources. Not vice versa.

I agree in that i think a warranty is a warranty, regardless of owner. I am not sure why they aren't but am also not sure that 'original owner' is not part of most brand warranties. A bike is slightly different to a knife handle I guess.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
If that makes me 'mafia', OK....

You were Mafia Platinum Status long before this post. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
[
OK, gonna counter this one. If that makes me 'mafia', OK....

I wouldn't worry too much. Any product that is a change to the norm is bound to have a bunch of people that rail against it because it's different to what they have. The only ones I really listen to are those that have had one. If they didn't like it then there is a worthy discussion. I've had that discussion with a couple, and to the letter they all had valid reasons why they didn't get on with the bike. The predominant reasons being a) quality control and b) an unwillingness, which is totally ok, not to spend a little time getting it right. Most small companies I have dealt with benefit from being small and accessible but suffer from things needing a bit of work every now and again. Those who are willing to spend a little time getting things dialled or get a spot on bike straight away (the majority it has to be said) end up with a really, really good riding experience.

I think the overwhelming evidence from those who actually ride them are that they love them and that they get decent results aboard them.

If mafia is someone enthusiastic about a product they own, what do we call someone enthusiastically disliking a product they don't even have or are being asked to use. Doesn't seem like energy well spent to be honest.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next