Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [davews09] [ In reply to ]

davews09 wrote:
Per Stan's permission, mind posting the doc so we can all review?
Not sure that's a good idea. Believe it or not, copyright law applies to... errm... the law:

https://arstechnica.co.uk/...o-copyright-the-law/

Further, this little gem brought to the rest of us by the state of Georgia:

https://arstechnica.com/...a-legal-code-online/

Asinine yes but that's the law.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Reading backwards, I know have to think that Dimond itself is in serious trouble. Honestly when someone posted that TJ was driving to Texas my ears went up. That didn't make sense. He has yelled at me for years about sitting in the car for long haul drives in my hamstrings. Some things are starting to make sense. I have to imagine with the competitive business model in bikes combined with high rework rate of these defective frames and being made in the USA they just can't compete.

Last year Catalyst Cycling, Carbon disc covers bit the bullet. They couldn't turn a profit on the $300 covers. It was too bad because they were awesome and light.

This^^^

They sue a well known commodity and two bike brands including their key competitor in the 'non traditional' tri bike space. Certainly appears to be a 'back up against the wall' type move to generate some cash without much regard to the brand/reputation.

It's too bad....I liked their story and am always a fan of innovation. I'm sure they knew it was a tall order to come in and succeed in a highly competitive space.
Last edited by: jb4iu: Apr 26, 17 19:18

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [kmill23] [ In reply to ]

kmill23 wrote:
This is why I never trust anything a sponsored athlete has to say about the equipment he or she is using.

Good luck in the fight. But like others have said, this is a no-win for everyone but the lawyers.

Out of curiosity, so who do u trust? Do u trust the salesman at the store, do u trust the magazine writer, do u trust your coach, your fellow peers. If it is your peers, do some peers matter more than others?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]

I did know what I was buying. I purchased the frame because I love beam bikes, and it was selling cheaper than a Zipp 2001 at the time. I also have the requisite skills to fix the frame, and honestly it sounded like a great challenge. It was around $2000 iirc. Looking back, I paid less for my Pearson, and sold my Falco for less as well, and those were both fully functional.

However, I suspect you are correct about the company's financial situation. The fork for instance was sold for far too much $$$ (to try to catch up?) and/or pay for the Marquise development, but the volumes are just too low.

$600 would have been a fine price, but for $1200 (and a long wait) I just bought a P5 fork and did a little bondo work to mate it to the frame perfectly.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [spot] [ In reply to ]

spot wrote:
I'm wondering if you can explain this in your post:

"The frame I received for Kona 2015 was demonstrably worse. Unfortunately, due to the compressed timeline that results from the far too common "we want you on a new frame for Kona!" attitude - something that I have agreed to more times than I should have, the true depth of these defects did not become apparent for quite some time. As an engineer, I'm sad to say that it took me until July of 2016 to realize just how damaged this frame was. It had the same issues with the saddle rail clamp, which should have been a red flag. And the new seat-post binder wasn't any better - and was in fact worse - than the old one."

Considering that you posted this in Oct '16:

"The seatpost clamp has been entirely redesigned. The original design was a "pinch" design that was super sensitive to any variance in tolerances on the frame or seatpost. They've since replaced that with a back-to-front plate design that is much better and with which I have had no issues. I can post pics showing the difference if it is not clear."

I don't think it really matters does it? He had multiple concerns about multiple frames that Dimond sent him, which he emailed Dimond about, providing video evidence, he wanted out of the contract, it should be a case of doing the "right thing" rather than suing.

Having to epoxy the saddle rails is just whack..

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [spudone] [ In reply to ]

spudone wrote:
Quote:
Scratching my head...
Same - about the whole thing. Doesn't seem a good business move to file in the first place. The only thing that came to mind was maybe they were already planning to wind down / stop the bike business, in which case the PR wouldn't matter much.

I had similar thoughts. Suing an entity like Diamondback... I mean, what could you possibly hope to accomplish? It's not like Jordan went to Reap (another beam bike co) and they could claim they stole "trade secrets". Smells like a bit of a Hail Mary banking on a summary judgement and then a settlement and/or some of the parties not being able to adequately represent themselves.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

Slowman wrote:
i'm not going to limit this community's ears and eyes to simply hearing one side.

Wow

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]

As I stated, they are establishing that all of these events have happened in breach of contract and are damaging to their business.

----
@adamwfurlong

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

They are really firsthand because I attempted to fix the issues with the dimond bikes before strongly urging them onto a safe bike. I can probably dig through my old emails and find the photos I took that I send to Dimond in regards to the cracks(which I never got a reply to). One of my customers filed a dispute with Amex because the bike was 3 weeks old.. but I understand you editing. No problems with that at all.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]

Did any frames actually fail or were you just not happy with the loose tolerances?

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]

ajthomas wrote:
This is how I know that Dimond is also suing Chris (and Ventum).

I can't uncover any evidence that Ruster is suing Ventum. The only cases I'm uncovering that Ruster is party to are against Rapp and Blick personally. In the Blick case, Ruster served subpoena's on Ventum, which makes sense, but they aren't suing Ventum as far as I can tell.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]

Agreed. I mean everyone here would know after hitting submit about be a $%!@storm and his post obviously leaves many questions. TJ rides (or rode) this bike and I believe and others believe he wouldn't put himself in danger either personally or form a professional standpoint. I mean these two guys are in my top 5 athletes I follow plus Mr Gerlach on this thread who also seems to be having a hard time consuming all this.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [kileyay] [ In reply to ]

kileyay wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
This is how I know that Dimond is also suing Chris (and Ventum).

I can't uncover any evidence that Ruster is suing Ventum. The only cases I'm uncovering that Ruster is party to are against Rapp and Blick personally. In the Blick case, Ruster served subpoena's on Ventum, which makes sense, but they aren't suing Ventum as far as I can tell.

Did Chris have a Non Compete, as part of his employment with Dimond?

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]

Dilbert wrote:
davews09 wrote:
Per Stan's permission, mind posting the doc so we can all review?

Not sure that's a good idea. Believe it or not, copyright law applies to... errm... the law:

https://arstechnica.co.uk/...o-copyright-the-law/

Further, this little gem brought to the rest of us by the state of Georgia:

https://arstechnica.com/...a-legal-code-online/

Asinine yes but that's the law.

There should be a distinction between statements of claim and legislation. The State of Georgia did not create the SOC, the lawyers for Dimond did. If anything, they own copyright on the SOC.

Jordan, a quick question on the beam-frame mate location and the "fail safe" mode. If at that joint the interface fails (not a carbon crack, but the friction holding the beam in place is insufficient to suspend the rider weight), when the beam "sinks" how low can it go? Is there a "bottom out" position that would not result in any calamity, or would it just sink right down to the rear tire.

In the aviation world we had the categories safety critical and mission critical. If your system failed but you just lost the mission that was less problematic than the system failing and the air crew crashing. In this case, is your issue a mission critical one where you can't finish the training ride or the race, or is it safety critical where a rider could get injured/hurt? This is unclear in this thread and I have not seen the design close enough to know the fail safe mode.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 26, 17 19:54

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [kileyay] [ In reply to ]

Did Chris go to work for them, taking along considerable insider knowledge or trade secrets?

If so...Jesus what a mess. I would trade my Dimond for a Ventum straight away to be rid of the heart ache.

I don't see how any one could support you without hearing Dimond's side of the story. Hopefully we can get the complaint and subsequent legal docs posted, or a word from Dimond, so people can make an informed decision on whether to help the cause.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
kmill23 wrote:
This is why I never trust anything a sponsored athlete has to say about the equipment he or she is using.

Good luck in the fight. But like others have said, this is a no-win for everyone but the lawyers.

Out of curiosity, so who do u trust? Do u trust the salesman at the store, do u trust the magazine writer, do u trust your coach, your fellow peers. If it is your peers, do some peers matter more than others?

Legitimate and logical question.

I tend to trust folks who have the same access to equipment as I do and use the equipment in similar fashion, and, in general, have financial means similar to mine. Those guys will be honest with me about the reliability of their equipment. They don't have access to brand new frames/wheels/etc. for races or when a slight issue arises. They can't hide if they had to send their bike back for warranty work.

I probably am not explaining my reasoning very well. Does that make sense? If not, I'll try to reword it after a bit of sleep. I am in a state of fatigue and oxygen debt after just finishing a nasty trainer session. :-)

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]

I've been thinking, 'how would I handle this situation if I were Rapp?'

With what has been provided, I'm curious what others think would have been (and/or could be) the best strategy for Jordan...

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [kmill23] [ In reply to ]

I don't agree with Jordan on all of this but it is quite telling that he has publically been with Diamondback for roughly 1/2 of a calendar year, & today is the first we have heard of his issues with Dimond.

If he had posted all of his grievances prior to or just after leaving Dimond, I would have a different opinion on the situation. Had TJ not sued him, I think it is safe (bad pun) to assume we never would have heard about this.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]

for what? for switching to ventum?

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]

Ron_Burgundy wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:
Fuck it, I'll probably get blasted for this, but....I don't feel one bit sorry. You know why?

Because of shit like this from you:

I've owned three Dimonds. All have been great bikes. Like ABSOLUTELY EVERY BIKE I've ever owned, there are things I would change about them. What's great about working with Dimond is how fast many of those things HAVE been changed in the two years I've been working with them. And none of the things I desire to change are (or were) things that I think should keep someone from buying a Dimond.

Lots of folks, myself included, asked your opinions of the Dimond in very recent months, including via PM's, and you lied your ass off. You never spoke of any major issues. Now you want people to fund a defence for you. Piss off.

Good point. Additionally, it seems atypical for Diamondback to not cover is legal fee's, i am guessing there is more to this than meets the eye. In the end you are under contractual obligations unless formally released, we all know how useful verbal agreements are in the court of law.

If one party breaks the contract- like never supplying a suitable bike, and the other party notifies them of breach of contract, generally you are no longer under contract. Of course if one party disagrees, it gets litigted.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]

milesthedog wrote:
I've been thinking, 'how would I handle this situation if I were Rapp?'

With what has been provided, I'm curious what others think would have been (and/or could be) the best strategy for Jordan...

He should use Craig Alexander v Orbea as a point of strategy reference. I don't think I ever heard the outcome of that lawsuit.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]

turningscrews wrote:
I don't agree with Jordan on all of this but it is quite telling that he has publically been with Diamondback for roughly 1/2 of a calendar year, & today is the first we have heard of his issues with Dimond.

If he had posted all of his grievances prior to or just after leaving Dimond, I would have a different opinion on the situation. Had TJ not sued him, I think it is safe (bad pun) to assume we never would have heard about this.

Was this the reason he couldn't post pictures of his Diamondback until IMTX....and he posted those pictures (his bike build) last week and this is now coming up less than a week later. Did he ever address why he couldn't post pictures of his new bike??

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]

If you have such an ongoing bad image of Dan and ST, why are you even here?

Andrew Coggan wrote:
cknoxpRTR wrote:
I am surprised Dan is allowing this thread to continue regarding claims/accusations of unsafe frames in a public forum.

I'm not surprised in the least.

Prev Next