Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [BrianLooney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianLooney wrote:
Thanx Carl,
Silly me - someone else told me about those holes in the bullhorns too. I haven't removed the bar tape to see them yet. I was just preparing for the install later this week. It should go easy now. I love the bike!
Just fyi, this probably isnt necessary since the machined holes are oblong shaped and will have enough room for both brake line and shifter. I opted to upgrade my brake levers to the bontrager xxx which you can adjust on the fly and look pretty cool too. The brake cable on these go through the bar end and leave the machined hole for your shift wire by its self. I was a little worried that the shift cables were a little on the fragile side and would be volnerable to chaffing against the brake cable. Probably just me being paranoid though :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great news DirtRider. A friend of mine heard I was upgrading the front end and he offered to sell me the same Bontrager XXX brake levers (barely used) at a screaming deal. I'll send photos when I'm done.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a brand new 2015 SC 7.5 that I bought at the end of December last year from my LBS at a great deal. While riding it over the winter on the trainer I have noticed that one of my arm pad cups is not as "stout" or as sturdy as the other.

I am 190lbs with low body fat. So I get that I am not a small guy laying on these but at times I feel like the one pad is just going to snap.

Are there different cups I can buy? Or something else that I can do?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you looked for cracks in that armpad holder or taken it to your dealer for same? They're the ones who can initiate a warranty claim if necessary.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Will do a look over and start talking to the my LBS and see what can be done. Duh, why didn't common sense kick in on this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl, maybe you can help me out with this question.

I have a 2013 SC 9. Question is regarding the rear brake triangle piece that holds the arms together. Is there a good way to tighten the cable clamping nut without holding on to the triangle piece with pliers and scratching it or ruining it?

Thanks for your help.

Henri

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Henri22282] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Henry-

Holding on with a pliers is what we show in the owners manual. Keys to success include finding a pliers with fairly coarse teeth...so you can get the points of the wedge solidly seated...and a good strong grip.

I prefer to use an adjustable pliers like this, and seat the brake wedge points in those larger teeth in the middle:

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I have now lost two of those rubber grommets that go on the top tube of my SC 9.9. Has anyone tried Gorilla or Crazy glue to keep it in place? Or any other method that will stop me from losing those damn things?

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All

This is my first time posting to this forum but I've been an SC owner for a couple of years. I have a series of challenges that are facing me that appear to re-occur on this forum but for which I have not been able to find an answer, so here is my list:

1. Finding replacement arm pads. I cannot find them anywhere online and would just like to get a supply of them so that I can replace them (I seem to need new ones every couple of months)
  2. Finding a replacement speed fin. Mine cracked off of my rear brake for reasons that I cannot figure out. I've checked with my LBS and they cannot find one. I've looked online and could not find one. I've even written to a friend who works with Trek and he cannot find one.
  3. Brakes. This is a perennial issue on this forum; but my issue is a bit different in that the triangle that holds the cable that runs into my front brake calipers has scoured into the tubing of the bike. There appears to be a wear pad at the point where the triangle will typically slide and that has started to show the silver color of the material under the black paint. I'm not sure if that is a structural or a warranty issue but it is definitely an issue with the track of the triangle and the functionality of the brakes. Because I cannot seem to get the aero cover fully on now, the triangle slides along its now grooved track. The brakes keep jamming on me now and the triangle will not stay between the calipers if I pull hard enough on the levers. Obviously having a brake that fails mid-pull is a concern. Is this a warranty item? Can it be fixed? Are there after market direct mount brakes that I can use in place of these proprietary ones?

Thank You All!

Rob
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Busterk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Rob-

1) part # 437028 from your Trek dealer
2) part # W326750, same source
3) have you been to a dealer to have them take a look? on the forum, pictures might help. my first guess is that there's a brake cover installation issue going on...because in normal operation the rear of the wedge should have 1-2mm clearance to the front face of the fork.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Thank you for the part number. It has been ordered. I've had the bike in a couple of times to the dealer re: the brakes. I'm bringing it into on Sunday again. I will upload pictures when I get home tonight.

Regards,
Rob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Carl,

Here are four photos for you.

Quote Reply
Speed Concept Conversion to di2 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All/Carl,

I've seen a couple of posts about conversions to di2 and would love some advice. I ride a 2011 Speed Concept 9.5 WSD in size XS that was converted from Shimano to SRAM when I purchased it new in 2013 (so that it has same specs as the 9.9 from that year without the HED wheels.) Anyway, I've been thinking about making some changes to my bike set up and thought it might be a good time to consider switching to di2 since I've been having a lot of issues shifting and more that haven't resolved completely even with multiple tune ups.

Wondering it is worth it to convert my current bike as opposed to buying new to try to save on cost. I would buy used but my size is impossible to find. This is what I'm trying to figure out:

1. If I upgrade to di2 should I try to work with my SRAM components or replace (all or some) with Shimano? I currently have a combo of SRAM Force/Red components.
2. What are the major components I would need to make the conversion (and approx cost if anyone has done something similar recently.)
3. I currently have 53/39 crank (SRAM Red with 165 levers) with an 11-28 cassette. I'm trying to decide if I should switch to a compact crankset to decrease the chain strain due to angle/shortened distance between crank and cassettte on the XS frame.

OR if anyone is selling an XS speed concept that is already set up with di2 let me know... :)

Thanks!
Amy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any update from the dealer visit?

A few comments on the pics:

In the first pic, the brake wedge appears pulled up quite a bit between the brake arms...I can't tell if this is where it was installed on the cable, or if you've got the brake lever pulled and the pads against the rim. If the latter, no worries. If the former, that's way too high...the rollers at the top of the brake arms should be in contact with the narrowest part at the top of the wedge when at rest. Makes me wonder if the wedge is being forced back into the front of the fork because it reaches the limit of travel. There's a molded feature on the inside of the brake cover which prevents the wedge from being pulled all the way through the brake arms...the cable clamping nut rides in this slot:

Also, based on the pics, it looks like the paint mask over the fork's serial # sticker wasn't removed...that's why you're seeing a silver color showing through at the wear point. That mask (itself just a sticker, really) would add to the total thickness in that area and possibly come into contact with the rear of the wedge. You can probably see a faint outline of the mask under the paint. VERY CAREFULLY you can get under the edge of that mask with something sharp and peel it away. Or you could ask the shop to do it.

Finally, the faces of the wedge seem quite worn...makes me wonder if the roller(s) on the arm(s) have frozen up due to corrosion, energy drink residue, etc. Might cause sticky operation. Another thing to look into if you or the shop hasn't already.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Conversion to di2 [amylynn829] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Amy-

1) a couple possible causes & fixes for the shifting woes, in case your Trek dealer hasn't already tried or suggested them:
  • there was an updated bottom bracket cable guide available as a warranty item, PN W310482, which was made of a stiffer material and included a serrated washer to prevent rotation under shifting load...by far the #1 fix for shifting issues on the 1st generation bike.
  • SRAM chainrings have more aggressive pickup ramps/pins for front shifting, which on some shorter chainstay bikes like the SC (and the XS especially) could sometimes cause unintended upshifts and/or chain drops at the cranks. going to a Shimano crank often made a difference.
but if you're set on going Di2 (and hey, why not, it's great), you're looking at a complete drivetrain replacement if you want the most consistent shifting experience. likewise if you're considering SRAM eTap.

2) you didn't say if your 2013 SRAM conversion was an 11spd or 10spd setup...if the latter, you're looking at pretty much everything.

3) if you're not using the biggest gears very often on your current setup, this might be OK

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Thank you for your response. The bike is now with my Trek dealer. We definitely did observe the wedge being a bit high up on the cable and adjusted that down. I have also sent him your response regarding the rollers on the brakes as a follow-up. I'm trying to track your comment regarding the mask. Are you referencing the area of the frame behind the track of the wedge that is slightly elevated from the frame? I had initially believed this to be an intended wear point and thus was there to add additional protection. From your statement I gather that my impression is not correct and that this elevated portion can be removed?

As to the brake cover, it is definitely broken. The tab at the top of the cover is gone and it looks like the entire plastic assembly has suffered from some kind of impact. I have no idea where or when that would have happened as it was certainly not done in my presence. We are ordering a replacement for it.

Regards,
Rob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Busterk wrote:
I'm trying to track your comment regarding the mask. Are you referencing the area of the frame behind the track of the wedge that is slightly elevated from the frame? I had initially believed this to be an intended wear point and thus was there to add additional protection. From your statement I gather that my impression is not correct and that this elevated portion can be removed?

Spot on. Mind, there will still be a slightly elevated area there (the serial# sticker) but not as high as it currently sits with the mask plus paint on top of that. DO NOT REMOVE THE SERIAL # STICKER. To give you an idea of where the mask edges are and what things should look like when it's removed (I've obscured the actual SN info on this one):

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoping for some advice on a creaking bottom bracket.

I recently had my 2014 SC 7.0 BB bearings replaced using replacement bearings obtained from a trek dealer. The work was done by a qualified bike mechanic that has a good reputation, wrenching my bike for the past several years and runs a national pro team, etc.

Since replacement, I am getting a creaking noise (or a groan) when I exert lots of force on the right side, such as during a standing sprint or climb. The noise only occurs when the right crank is approaching the bottom of the stroke, and only under high force.

The shop has taken apart and reassembled the BB about 5 times now, and it is still making noise. The last time around, they used a green Loctite cmpd that they were sure would fix the problem but no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what could be causing the noise and how to get rid of it? I'm at my wits end. The bike was making zero noise before, and I only did the bearing replacement as a pre-emptive since the bike weathered several overnight thunderstorms last year at races. The headset bearings were toasted, and I figured while I'm at it....

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Last edited by: Blue_Quest: Apr 25, 17 13:01
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Blue_Quest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Steve-

Not sure what to tell you...in my experience the green loctite trick is typically one of the last steps before sending the frame back to Trek for inspection. Since you say the sounds weren't present before the BB overhaul it does make me wonder if the new bearings might be out of spec...has the shop tried installing a different set? More than once? Tried changing only the "top hat" inserts/dust covers?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Hi Steve-

Not sure what to tell you...in my experience the green loctite trick is typically one of the last steps before sending the frame back to Trek for inspection. Since you say the sounds weren't present before the BB overhaul it does make me wonder if the new bearings might be out of spec...has the shop tried installing a different set? More than once? Tried changing only the "top hat" inserts/dust covers?

Thanks for the quick response Carl. Much appreciated.

Shop hasn't tried different bearings, or the tophat inserts/covers. I'll see if the local trek dealer has a new set of bearings that they can try, and I hope that is the problem. Sending the frame back doesn't sound too fun.

Fingers crossed - thanks again.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl and team,

I have a 2014 Speed Concept 9.9 and have a question about the elbow cups on the bars.

I broke my collar bone (2nd time) last summer and now that I am healed, I find the elbow cups a little closer together than I'd choose. I wonder if you have any ideas for me to get a wider base position for my elbows please?

I am fine for 10 mile TT's but have another Ironman this July and would like a more comfortable (albeit less aero) position for the longer 100 mile+ rides.

Thanks a million!

http://s286.photobucket.com/user/LesroyBuckley/media/20170418_143536_zpsjh2vnyks.jpg.html
Last edited by: NickAnderson: Apr 27, 17 6:20
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [NickAnderson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you're at max width already there's nothing in our catalog to get your arms wider on the integrated cockpit...but I do know the amount of extension tilt you have and the extension shape can make significant differences in comfort at any given armpad width. so does cockpit height. whether those are DIY changes or you go to a good fitter to try some different configurations, those are options.

otherwise, if you got a steer-stub (OE on the 7.0, PN 438987, and also requires bolt kit 511065) which allows any standard cockpit hardware to be used, there may be products out there which could extend your elbow width to something beyond what we've got.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question for Carl/anyone who knows...

Looking to replace the fork on my Gen 2 SC 9.9.

I can get my hands on an 'XL' one but i have a Large frame.

Is there an actual difference in the fork measurements for each size or will this fork fit my Large frame?

THANKS!

@FormerTTchamp on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TTworldchamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forks are size specific.

The only way I know of to get a new gen2 SC fork separately requires your dealer to work with their Trek sales rep and order it via the warranty channel.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Forks are size specific.

The only way I know of to get a new gen2 SC fork separately requires your dealer to work with their Trek sales rep and order it via the warranty channel.

That's tricky as I buy directly from Trek in the UK, and they tell me I can't get the fork! I'll check and see if there's a way to go via the warranty route just in case.

Thanks Carl.

@FormerTTchamp on Twitter
Quote Reply

Prev Next