Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A2 Aero Data for Corsa Speed, Conti Supersonic and TT on HED JET+ Black [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Frankly I would love some feedback from some everyday users. I have seen mixed reviews of the tire, but just like the Supersonic, I wonder if that is because people don't know to install it. From people that I trust to install correctly, aka Tom A, it seems to be ok.

I have been running a CS on a Kinlin XR31T rim on the rear of a road bike, something over 500km and no issues so far. It is quite challenging to mount (I know about the center of the rim thing) both as tubeless and with an inner tube, these tyre levers helped immensely.
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Aero Data for Corsa Speed, Conti Supersonic and TT on HED JET+ Black [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Sean H wrote:
So is the corsa speed a race day only tire or could I use it as an everyday tire too? I'm definitely mounting a set tubeless on my jet + disc and 9 for tri race day, but now I'm thinking of just mounting a pair tubeless on my everyday 6+ set too as I'm going to be doing a lot of cycling racing over the summer.

Frankly I would love some feedback from some everyday users. I have seen mixed reviews of the tire, but just like the Supersonic, I wonder if that is because people don't know to install it. From people that I trust to install correctly, aka Tom A, it seems to be ok.

I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to install a new Corsa Speed Plus (tubeless) onto a Zipp 808 FC and could not get the tire to inflate. I knew it was going to be a problem right from the start. I used Silca's platinum tubeless rim tape and valve and that end of things looked great. While most people have experienced difficulty mounting this tire because it was too tight I found just the opposite. This tire easily (way too easily) slipped onto my rim. With the tire as loose as it was I couldn't get it to seat onto he rim even using my garage 2 HP compressor and blasting the air in as fast as it would go. The air just kept blowing out the sidewall. Plenty of sealant and soapy water did not help. Looks like I'll be forced to use a tube. On the other hand, my Dash Cycle disc was picture perfect. The tire mounted as expected and inflated instantaneously just using my floor pump. A little disappointed but not the end of the world.
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Aero Data for Corsa Speed, Conti Supersonic and TT on HED JET+ Black [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When doing tubeless Mtb set ups, if tires are too easy to mount sometimes 3 wraps of tape solved the problem
Last edited by: ridenfish39: Apr 23, 17 5:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Sean H wrote:
So is the corsa speed a race day only tire or could I use it as an everyday tire too? I'm definitely mounting a set tubeless on my jet + disc and 9 for tri race day, but now I'm thinking of just mounting a pair tubeless on my everyday 6+ set too as I'm going to be doing a lot of cycling racing over the summer.

I've been running Turbo Cotton or new-new SS 23mm for the last two years with latex tubes pretreated with sealant and have had zero flats, except for the one time when I let my tires go all the way flat and pumped them back up without following JackMott Protocol (tm) and got a pinch flat in the first minute of the ride

As Tom A. says, life is too short to ride on bad rubber and he's right. I could probably ride your worn-down SS 23mm rear tire that I bought from you with no issues.... just don't ride in the gutter.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Aero Data for Corsa Speed, Conti Supersonic and TT on HED JET+ Black [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
When doing tubeless Mtb set ups, if tires are too easy to mount sometimes 3 wraps of tape solved the problem

Appreciate the tip. Thank you. I did use the recommended double wrap. I'll try it with 3 next time and see how it goes. Makes sense. It pushes the tire closer to the rim and should help it seal.
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Aero Data for Corsa Speed, Conti Supersonic and TT on HED JET+ Black [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which tape width did you use? About to try this myself, it's my understanding you need to use the wider tape so it rolls up onto the sides of the rim to provide a good seal.

Hoping I don't have the same problems as you...
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Aero Data for Corsa Speed, Conti Supersonic and TT on HED JET+ Black [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Which tape width did you use? About to try this myself, it's my understanding you need to use the wider tape so it rolls up onto the sides of the rim to provide a good seal.

Hoping I don't have the same problems as you...

I first tried the 25 mm tape. It was just too wide. Almost impossible to get that wider tape to fit the rim without it folding over onto itself near the rim edge. The 21 mm tape was perfect. I'm going to try 3 layers like ridenfish39 suggested. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Part of the problem is that Zipp doesn't have a Tubeless Ready rim shape. Some people may have been able to make them work, but the internal shape really helps with seating the tire.

Nolegs wrote:

I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to install a new Corsa Speed Plus (tubeless) onto a Zipp 808 FC and could not get the tire to inflate. I knew it was going to be a problem right from the start. I used Silca's platinum tubeless rim tape and valve and that end of things looked great. While most people have experienced difficulty mounting this tire because it was too tight I found just the opposite. This tire easily (way too easily) slipped onto my rim. With the tire as loose as it was I couldn't get it to seat onto he rim even using my garage 2 HP compressor and blasting the air in as fast as it would go. The air just kept blowing out the sidewall. Plenty of sealant and soapy water did not help. Looks like I'll be forced to use a tube. On the other hand, my Dash Cycle disc was picture perfect. The tire mounted as expected and inflated instantaneously just using my floor pump. A little disappointed but not the end of the world.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Aero Data for Corsa Speed, Conti Supersonic and TT on HED JET+ Black [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
Part of the problem is that Zipp doesn't have a Tubeless Ready rim shape. Some people may have been able to make them work, but the internal shape really helps with seating the tire.

Nolegs wrote:

I just spent another hour using 4 wraps of tape and this wheel/tire combo will still will not seat. Probably for the best. As you pointed out about Zipp wheels not being "tubeless ready" I probably would have rolled that wheel right off that rim going around a curve anyway. A loose tire on a non-tubeless wheel is probably something I don't want to take a chance on. My ass hitting the pavement at 25 miles per hour is not what it use to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nolegs wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:

Nolegs wrote:

I just spent another hour using 4 wraps of tape and this wheel/tire combo will still will not seat. Probably for the best. As you pointed out about Zipp wheels not being "tubeless ready" I probably would have rolled that wheel right off that rim going around a curve anyway. A loose tire on a non-tubeless wheel is probably something I don't want to take a chance on. My ass hitting the pavement at 25 miles per hour is not what it use to be.

So yes what Heath said but I will add, if you have experience with the Enve 7 SES or HED JET+ they have a trough in the middle. The trough is where the tire has to be to get the bead on, but then when you pump up the tires, the tires literally start to pop out of the trough, make a loud popping sound, and then seat in the rim 'hooks'. The trough allows you to mount the tire, while keeping the tire nice and tight once it pops out of the trough. I can't remember what the Roval is like as they still haven't shown up. They were supposed to be here last Saturday :(

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Aero Data for Corsa Speed, Conti Supersonic and TT on HED JET+ Black [fastskiguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fastskiguy wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
No, we're referring to these: https://silca.cc/...e-kit-w-speed-shield

Gotcha, thanks

Yep, that's what you want for your setup. You're more than welcome to come over and we can set it up sometime. I'll set mine back up for the duathlon this weekend and have all the stuff sitting out already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nolegs wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:

Nolegs wrote:

Are you opposed to just running it with a latex tube? No crr hit there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey NoLegs - Have you actually ridden that Gretchen at all? Wondering how the brake track is. I'm very tempted to get one so I can run these tubeless as well.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Aero Data for Corsa Speed, Conti Supersonic and TT on HED JET+ Black [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Hey NoLegs - Have you actually ridden that Gretchen at all? Wondering how the brake track is. I'm very tempted to get one so I can run these tubeless as well.

Only had them on my rollers as a "disaster check" and so far so good. My first real world experience will be on May 14th with a 10.5 mile sprint. If you can wait that long I'll post back on how they performed.
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Aero Data for Corsa Speed, Conti Supersonic and TT on HED JET+ Black [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Nolegs wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:

Nolegs wrote:

Are you opposed to just running it with a latex tube? No crr hit there.

No, but I already have the "old" Supersonic with a latex tube and was just looking for that extra couple of watts.
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Aero Data for Corsa Speed, Conti Supersonic and TT on HED JET+ Black [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been running a set of these tubeless with 50ml Caffelatex, on Hed Jet Disc+ and 9+. No flats on the road in about 400 miles. Apparently, I did accidentally lock the rear wheel in my last race. It lost a little air but I finished in ignorant bliss. Later in the day I came back from a recovery spin and noticed the flat spot, and that the rubber had balled up quite a bit at the end of it. I started picking off the balls. Mistake. Now it don't hold air anymore. So don't do what I did.

I was running the front one with 2 valve extenders and no nut at all! As long as you don't ever push out radially on the valve, its just fine. The valve stem seal works without any preload. I think its a Stans stem. Ordering some of the Silca valves now though.

Glad to hear these are OK in hard corners as that was a concern of mine given my wide rims and the narrow tread rubber width.

As a contributor, thanks for the data!

Jim Verheul
JBV Coaching.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nolegs wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

Only had them on my rollers as a "disaster check" and so far so good. My first real world experience will be on May 14th with a 10.5 mile sprint. If you can wait that long I'll post back on how they performed.

Thanks, appreciate that!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK. I think I need to switch to to the CS tires (from the old SS tires). I presume they'll mount just fine on my Flo 60 (alloy) rim and Renn 555 disc, correct?

I'm completely ignorant about tubeless. I think the Flo rim is tubeless capable; I have no idea about the Renn 555 disc rim. I'm wondering if I should go this route, or just stay with latex tubes. If I go tubeless, what's needed? Are there any good online instructions for tubeless installation? With the data showing equal performance for latex and tubeless, it seems that tubeless would give me the advantage for punctures, and thus preferred over the latex tube option.

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Aero Data for Corsa Speed, Conti Supersonic and TT on HED JET+ Black [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
fastskiguy wrote:
trail wrote:
Yeah, I am using the Silva aero thing. I probably just went overboard, which I've been known to do.

Are you using this?

https://silca.cc/...ers-with-speedshield

No, we're referring to these:
https://silca.cc/...e-kit-w-speed-shield

Cool, thx. What is the best sealant to use? Stans? Or vittoria?
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Aero Data for Corsa Speed, Conti Supersonic and TT on HED JET+ Black [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
fastskiguy wrote:
trail wrote:
Yeah, I am using the Silva aero thing. I probably just went overboard, which I've been known to do.

Are you using this?

https://silca.cc/...ers-with-speedshield

No, we're referring to these:
https://silca.cc/...e-kit-w-speed-shield

Cool, thx. What is the best sealant to use? Stans? Or vittoria?

I've been using Orange Seal to good success...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Aero Data for Corsa Speed, Conti Supersonic and TT on HED JET+ Black [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
OK. I think I need to switch to to the CS tires (from the old SS tires). I presume they'll mount just fine on my Flo 60 (alloy) rim and Renn 555 disc, correct?

I'm completely ignorant about tubeless. I think the Flo rim is tubeless capable; I have no idea about the Renn 555 disc rim. I'm wondering if I should go this route, or just stay with latex tubes. If I go tubeless, what's needed? Are there any good online instructions for tubeless installation? With the data showing equal performance for latex and tubeless, it seems that tubeless would give me the advantage for punctures, and thus preferred over the latex tube option.

Michael
s

I have run my tlr on a 404 and an old Specialized TriSpoke with a latex tube. Neither is tubeless and they work fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Thomas,

I have a doubt: you tested the CS in tubular version or in clincher?
Amazon link is a tubular tire (I guess) and I havent found any more info about tires than those links!

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Aero Data for Corsa Speed, Conti Supersonic and TT on HED JET+ Black [Stefano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stefano wrote:
Amazon link is a tubular tire (I guess) and I havent found any more info about tires than those links!

The Amazon link is for the clincher. "Tubuless" is an Amazon typo for "Tubeless," not "tubular."

Thomas tested the tubeless clincher, but used a tube for practicality.
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Aero Data for Corsa Speed, Conti Supersonic and TT on HED JET+ Black [Stefano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stefano wrote:
Hey Thomas,

I have a doubt: you tested the CS in tubular version or in clincher?

Thanks!

Correct we tested the tubeless version, it is a clincher tire. More updates to come soon.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, I've jumped in. Got 2 VCS coming from probikekit for $50 each. Got silca tubless valve stems coming, and some orange seal. Plus the plug kit TomA is "plugging."

I'm going to mount these on my jet 6+s and ride the shit out of them. Drop rides, crits & road races. Once I'm comfortable I know what I'm doing with this tubeless setup I'll make the switch on my jet + disc & 9.
Quote Reply

Prev Next