Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The JackMott Protocol: Need a latex tube properly installed at IM Texas
Quote | Reply
anyone at the Texas race who can do this for me?

I was there last year, and did a bunch of wrenching for the ST'ers of IMTX, but sadly I am not there this year.

Help!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: The JackMott Protocol: Need a latex tube properly installed at IM Texas [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bizzump

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: The JackMott Protocol: Need a latex tube properly installed at IM Texas [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this just for one of your athletes or for a number of participants? If you are just looking to help an individual with this install you could reach out to the Ventum guys that are there at the expo.
Quote Reply
Re: The JackMott Protocol: Need a latex tube properly installed at IM Texas [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one athlete

Is Jimmy at the Ventum expo?

SummitAK wrote:
Is this just for one of your athletes or for a number of participants? If you are just looking to help an individual with this install you could reach out to the Ventum guys that are there at the expo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if Jimmy is there, but Chris Blick is on site and he's spent a lot of time wrenching bikes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People go to a race without knowing how to install a tube?

Do you have a link to the protocol you mention?
Quote Reply
Re: The JackMott Protocol: Need a latex tube properly installed at IM Texas [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did josh make a vid while he was at zipp? I remember turning to that on YouTube for a refresher when I last installed latex.
Last edited by: davetallo: Apr 21, 17 13:47
Quote Reply
Re: The JackMott Protocol: Need a latex tube properly installed at IM Texas [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the protocol? In my experience, I install latex tubes like regular tubes other than I am a bit more careful not to pinch them as I do it. But all in all anyone that knows how to change a tune can change a latex tube. No magic.
Quote Reply
Re: The JackMott Protocol: Need a latex tube properly installed at IM Texas [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo!
Quote Reply
Re: The JackMott Protocol: Need a latex tube properly installed at IM Texas [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trirunner wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W85RCHoukI
Quote Reply
Re: The JackMott Protocol: Need a latex tube properly installed at IM Texas [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
What is the protocol? In my experience, I install latex tubes like regular tubes other than I am a bit more careful not to pinch them as I do it. But all in all anyone that knows how to change a tune can change a latex tube. No magic.

I've always wondered why folks make a big deal about installing latex tubes. It's no different. I do nothing different compared to installing butyl tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: The JackMott Protocol: Need a latex tube properly installed at IM Texas [kmill23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup! And I reuse tubes when I wear out tires too. Honestly if you are ham fisted enough to screw up putting in a latex tube, you're likely to do the same thing with a butyl one.

kmill23 wrote:
The Guardian wrote:

I've always wondered why folks make a big deal about installing latex tubes. It's no different. I do nothing different compared to installing butyl tubes.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: The JackMott Protocol: Need a latex tube properly installed at IM Texas [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
Trirunner wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W85RCHoukI
That's a great video - so clear and that guy as a great voice.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The JackMott Protocol: Need a latex tube properly installed at IM Texas [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
Yup! And I reuse tubes when I wear out tires too. Honestly if you are ham fisted enough to screw up putting in a latex tube, you're likely to do the same thing with a butyl one.

Totally disagree with that. Butyl is much less elastic and therefore much less prone to seeping under the bead. I have never had a butyl tube explode after it was mounted. When I first used latex (about 20 years ago), I had latex tubes explode a bunch of times after they were mounted and inflated. More than once, they exploded in the garage, 5 or 6 hours after I inflated them to pressure. That would never happen with a butyl tube.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: The JackMott Protocol: Need a latex tube properly installed at IM Texas [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the tubes have become significantly better in the last few years. I've been using them since I switched to clinchers about 6 years ago and have never had that happen, ever. So we agree to disagree.

jens wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:

Totally disagree with that. Butyl is much less elastic and therefore much less prone to seeping under the bead. I have never had a butyl tube explode after it was mounted. When I first used latex (about 20 years ago), I had latex tubes explode a bunch of times after they were mounted and inflated. More than once, they exploded in the garage, 5 or 6 hours after I inflated them to pressure. That would never happen with a butyl tube.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: The JackMott Protocol: Need a latex tube properly installed at IM Texas [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same. I train on rough NC roads with Turbo Cottons or Supersonics w/ latex tubes with zero flats and a cycling experience that is way more enjoyable than when I used to ride on gatorskins or the like.

Ex-cyclist wrote:
Maybe the tubes have become significantly better in the last few years. I've been using them since I switched to clinchers about 6 years ago and have never had that happen, ever. So we agree to disagree.

jens wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
Yup! And I reuse tubes when I wear out tires too. Honestly if you are ham fisted enough to screw up putting in a latex tube, you're likely to do the same thing with a butyl one

I think the point of the OP was to give his athlete a no brainier, minimum -risk set of instructions to install a latex tube ... acknowledging that he / she knows perfectly well how to do that, but wanting them to do it as correctly as possible to minimize the chance of a pinched tube. There's a big difference between 'follow the protocol' and 'don't be ham-handed!'

(Assuming Josh's video was the protocol in mind. But for fun, look at many of the other YouTube videos on changing a tube on a clincher, and you'll see that there are plenty that omit, for example, the step of partially inflating the tube after installing one bead ... to minimize the chance of pinching the tube.
Quote Reply