Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by SS88 [ In reply to ]
Re: Terrorism... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
It's partly what pushed toward libertarianism, actions like this.

Me too. This kind of stuff, as well as being a Yankee transplant who lived in North Florida for a while, has definitely pushed me more toward a libertarian point of view in recent years.
Quote Reply
Re: Terrorism... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
jmh wrote:
I'm no fan of Coulter, but not allowing her to speak on a campus because the students and the campus population can't maturely disagree her point of view and will likely resort to violence seems like the wrong way to deal with the problem.

I'm no fan of Coulter either but also agree. But I do have to wonder why she wants to speak at Berkeley to begin with. Its not like she'll find a lot of fans or people of a like mind there.
She's looking for people to convince and persuade, not people who'd be fun at a cocktail party.
Quote Reply
Re: Terrorism... [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
I'm no fan of Coulter, but not allowing her to speak on a campus because the students and the campus population can't maturely disagree her point of view and will likely resort to violence seems like the wrong way to deal with the problem.

She agreed to their rules and they still cancelled the event. There is plenty of time to put whatever security measures in place to stop the likely ruffians form doing damage to their university or other attendees "in protest"

Complete and total lack of leadership by the Berkeley administration.

I'd bet if there were concerns of violence at a more conservative institution with a liberal speaker and that event was similarly cancelled, some of these same administrators would have their knickers in a bunch.
We also know that if the poles were reversed (at Berkeley) that there'd be no limit to the amount of jack-boots brought in to absolutely F-up anyone attempting to stifle left leaning speech.
Quote Reply
Re: Terrorism... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hadn't heard about that. I'll check it out later. Too beat to think straight right now after several hours of springtime yardwork. Need a shower and massage.
Quote Reply
Re: Terrorism... [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
jmh wrote:

I'm no fan of Coulter either but also agree. But I do have to wonder why she wants to speak at Berkeley to begin with. Its not like she'll find a lot of fans or people of a like mind there.

She's looking for people to convince and persuade, not people who'd be fun at a cocktail party.

Do you really think Coulter will change a lot of minds at Berkeley? She can at least try I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really a believer in the value of being exposed to a range of ideas, huh?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Terrorism... [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
Duffy wrote:
ter·ror·ism
ˈterəˌrizəm/
noun
the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

What is that guy (and the rest of these leftist, fascist fuckheads) doing?

They are unlawfully using violence against civilians in the pursuit of political aims.

They are, by definition, terrorists.

I'm not disagreeing with you. In addition to being a terrorist (assuming he was acting on anti-Trump motivations as you say), he's also an asshole (IMO) and a criminal.

I've said before on this forum that, on balance across all issues, I tend to lean left. But I don't understand or defend actions like this guy's, or the Coulter nonsense at Berkeley, or many of the other examples of lefties losing their grip in recent months. It's nutty.

I agree 100%, this attempt to shut down political speech one disagrees with is alarming. And probably does more harm than good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
SH wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
jmh wrote:

Do you really think Coulter will change a lot of minds at Berkeley? She can at least try I guess.

Is she really trying to change minds? I thought her schickt was to be an asshole to get the left riled up?
Quote Reply
Re: Terrorism... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her speeches​ may not change minds but the the violent reaction to her trying to voice an opinion certainly has.
Quote Reply
Re: Terrorism... [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And she likes to stir shit up- isn't that her brand?

Yup, and she should be allowed to talk.
Quote Reply

Prev Next