Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017
Quote | Reply
In Italy we are super excited to finally have an IM full distance :-)
Maybe y'all might think about coming?

http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/emilia-romagna/course.aspx#axzz4O5vNU6z9

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [juliainitaly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juliainitaly wrote:

http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/emilia-romagna/course.aspx#axzz4O5vNU6z9

Congrats...but it's hard to get excited about another race in late Sep.

And to those who are asking where the slots are coming from; Ironman Weymouth fell off the calendar after its initial run this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope this race does well. I think this would be a great destination race for an extended trip visiting Umbria and Tuscany and topped off with IM Italy !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally?

Italy has these iron distance races (that I know of):
Challenge Venice
Elbaman
Livigno Xtreme

Do people just hit refresh on the Ironman site when looking for races?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Finally?

Italy has these iron distance races (that I know of):
Challenge Venice
Elbaman
Livigno Xtreme

I'm pretty sure I wrote "IM" ;-)

Elbaman, done.
Would never ever ever swim in Venice water.
Livigno has only been organized once and a little too extreme.
Personal opinion :-)
Last edited by: juliainitaly: Oct 25, 16 11:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very interested in this race. I just wish it had been announced a few weeks ago before I transferred from France to Copenhagen. I would have picked Italy for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
juliainitaly wrote:

And to those who are asking where the slots are coming from; Ironman Weymouth fell off the calendar after its initial run this year.

Damn, another race in the fall! How did WTC turn a summer sport into a fall sport. Look at the Southern Hemisphere races and they are all in their fall too other than IM Western Oz....and I understand that a summer race in Italy would be hot but so is Hawaii!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Damn, another race in the fall! How did WTC turn a summer sport into a fall sport. Look at the Southern Hemisphere races and they are all in their fall too other than IM Western Oz....and I understand that a summer race in Italy would be hot but so is Hawaii!

I think this has to do with how busy Italy is in the summer. Everywhere is wall to wall tourists.
Venues want to fill up hotel rooms after the crowds have left.
As someone who does all my triathlon from June to August, I sure wish there were more summer races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
juliainitaly wrote:

Cooler weather in many areas in the fall and more time to train for first times are the big drivers of that trend I would assume. They've certainly overloaded certain areas with fall races though. For example, one of Chattanooga, Louisville, and North Carolina could easily be moved to the spring.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
juliainitaly wrote:

Cooler weather in many areas in the fall and more time to train for first times are the big drivers of that trend I would assume. They've certainly overloaded certain areas with fall races though. For example, one of Chattanooga, Louisville, and North Carolina could easily be moved to the spring.

You know....I get that a fall race allows for water to heat up, it allows for training all summer and it fills hotels when hotels are no longer full after tourist season. BUT DOES EVERY RACE HAVE TO FALL INTO THIS CATEGORY. Magically Whistler and Lake Placid manage to be summer races and in theory it would be better to fill the hotel rooms in September and people would have all summer to train. Sorry for the rant.

Me personally, if/when I get back to racing, I can race any time of the year since my son is a junior in college and I can take vacation whenever I want to (unlike say teachers or other professions locked into certain dates for vacations). It's a drag for many though if the race pickings are all in the fall. As I mentioned above, same deal in Southern Hemisphere (actually IM Cairns is a winter race, but I can understand why you don't want to race in Cairns in January).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's because you're American. The OP is an Italian. It doesn't sound like it's hard for him to get excited ;)

Does anyone know what the weather (water/air temp) is like during that time period? This definitely goes on my list of races to consider for 2017. Are they going to serve pizza at the finish line? I wished they did that at North Amerian IMs

HuffNPuff wrote:
juliainitaly wrote:

Quote | Reply
the below will be PITA

REQUESTED DOCUMENTS

- Membership card of the national triathlon federation - Two possible cases:

A - You have a valid membership card issued by the national triathlon federation -
During registration on site, you will be asked to show your valid triathlon license.
B - You do not have a valid membership card issued by the national triathlon federation - During registration, you will have to purchase a daily license. The cost of a daily license is Euro 20,00; the amount will be paid on site, cash only. Additionally, it’s required to produce a valid medical certificate for the practice of triathlon. In order to meet all legal requirements the medical certificate must be issued by an authorized Italian center for sports medicine. We therefore recommend, to register to your national triathlon federation and to bring your membership card with you at the Race Office. In this case, it is not necessary to bring a medical certificate.

- A valid ID
- Signed waiver - for download, click here

Originally from: http://eu.ironman.com/...s.aspx#ixzz4O9eb2YsY
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it's not because I'm American since fully half of my IMs are outside the US. It is exactly because of what I said ... another friggin' September race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R2 wrote:
the below will be PITA

REQUESTED DOCUMENTS

- Membership card of the national triathlon federation .....

For US racers such as myself, wouldn't that just be your current USAT card? If so, you can print a replacement card from the USAT website so therefore could do it even on short notice if needed. If that's the case I wouldn't expect that to be too difficult to comply with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My question would be if they have timing mats to make sure all do the entire course. There are way too many stories of course cutters......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
That's because you're American. The OP is an Italian. It doesn't sound like it's hard for him to get excited ;)

Does anyone know what the weather (water/air temp) is like during that time period? This definitely goes on my list of races to consider for 2017. Are they going to serve pizza at the finish line? I wished they did that at North Amerian IMs

HuffNPuff wrote:
juliainitaly wrote:

I got pizza both in CdA and Kona this year at the finish line and ate plenty of it. Just the beers were missing 😊

To the topic: Being Italian I only believe it once it actually happened and probably would not do a first time race there; let the logistics etc play out for a year and do it in 2018.

Cheers
Roberto
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Since the OP's user name is "juliainitaly", which i would interpret as "Julia in Italy", I would guess that the OP is a she rather than a he. Perhaps he/she will fill us in. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
juliainitaly wrote:

Italy in the summer is an absolute tourist zoo. Also, many Italians take their vacations, and many shops and facilities in cities have restricted hours of operation as residents flock from inland towns and cities to ocean/lake vacation spots.

Italy in shoulder season is an absolute dream.

I get the griping about fall races, but, I wouldn't want to do this race in the summer.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
My question would be if they have timing mats to make sure all do the entire course. There are way too many stories of course cutters......

Yes, they use timing mats in Italy :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [teambernina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teambernina wrote:
Being Italian I only believe it once it actually happened and probably would not do a first time race there; let the logistics etc play out for a year and do it in 2018.

Cheers
Roberto

Unlike Roberto I will be signing up for this race and it will be my third IM full distance after Zurich and Barcelona. I raced the very first IM 70.3 in Pescara and found it well organized. They even brought the German IM team down to deal a lot of the race logistics.

They cannot have an Ironman during the summer in Italy because a) too many tourists and no hotel availability b) temps are well over 100°f

September weather nowadays is still quite warm, this year still about 75°f and humid.

Not sure about the finish line pizza - LOL - but there are plenty of inexpensive pizza shops lining the beaches :-)

As for my own excitement, I've lived in Italy for 35 years and have been racing triathlons since 1997 so yes, I am excited that Italy has another Long Distance race, no matter what the brand is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any info on why the first IM Italy ( IRONMAN Civitavecchia) was canceled? Seeing this announcement made me curious... searched but couldn't find anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wise decision not wanting to swim in Venice waters. My GF participated this summer in the first edition of Challenge Venice, and was hospitalized for 3 days with a bacterial infection from the poluted water. So much for the start of a romantic holiday...

Didn't hear of other participants suffering as well. Maybe could have been just bad luck on her part.

Apart from the murky waters, the run was just plain horror. A full marathon within the Parco San Giuliano. Constantly twisting and turning, switchbacks, short and long out and backs. I was sherpa and unsuccessfully tried to cover to course from the opposite direction. Confusing like hell...

Regarding Full Distance triathons in Italy, I'm eyeing on Italyman 226, in the Lake region (Como).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So who is signed up for this?

My wife's friend from St Petersburg RU is doing the race so my wife wanted to go support her and since she knows me so well, asked if I wanted to do the race as well. :) How lucky am I?

Registered last month!

Who else is going?

This will be my second IM. Anyone have any information on how the bike is compared to Ironman Wisconsin?

Max

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [Maks Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just rode the course (maybe I lost some intersection) the day after Easter;
how hard is course? It's easy, one hill in Bertinoro to climb two times, about 200 meter positive elevation. The only think that can disassemble your performance is the head wind that you'll likely face twice on the last 20/25 km of every loop.
The pavement is ok, few roughness.

My personal opinion is that they could have design a so much better course. There's such a beautiful country and there are those amazing hills just 20 km from the starting line, wonder why that they decided to avoid all of that.
I'm italian, my sister lives there, I have friends already signed in, but I still have to decide for myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cervia, Italy 2017 [paolo.s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information Paolo.

I am from the Chicago land area and the only hills we have are highway overpasses and multilevel parking lots unless we go a bit up-north to Wisconsin.

Hows the water and the swim looking? I am pretty comfortable in the water but just want to be prepared.

Whats stopping you from signing up? Join us!

This will be my first time in Italy so I am very excited. Still need to find an apartment to rent for my family and our friend. :)

Max

Quote Reply

Prev Next