Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Unsupported open water swim expedition-how to carry supplies
Quote | Reply
Hello slowtwitch,
I'd like to have a bit of an adventure run-swim-run-swim-run, but I'm going to need some supplies. I will stop to eat and drink on islands (run legs), but I need a way to carry food, water, locating beacon, and a camera. I don't expect to be able to stash food on the course before hand or to purchase it on the way. Let me know if you have any ideas for carrying the supplies. I wouldn't mind if it was something that added buoyancy and made me able to swim faster as long as it's not a boat or paddle board or something that breaks with the spirit of adventure swimming. I would strongly prefer that it not slow me down, especially in the big waves.

So how do you suggest I swim with my supplies?
Quote Reply
Re: Unsupported open water swim expedition-how to carry supplies [corneliused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd get one of those tow-behind swim buoys, it's pretty much just a hi-viz dry bag with a leash on it.

http://www.ishof.org/...wimmer%E2%84%A2.html
Quote Reply
Re: Unsupported open water swim expedition-how to carry supplies [corneliused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long of an adventure are we talking about?

I did swimrun with a run belt (like this one) - held a couple of flasks and other stuff, but we also had access to aid stations.
Maybe a swim buoy? Not great during the run portions but would be a place to stash your stuff and as a bonus may provide some safety.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do get dry bags that have rucksack handles. For example.

You'd want to trap enough air to make it buoyant, maybe stick an inflated kids armband in the bottom. Then sort out a leash.

Edit - should of done a link in the first place.
Last edited by: OddSlug: Apr 19, 17 13:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's see big waves, unsupported doesn't sound very safe. I think some company would be better than a locator beacon. Stay safe.

corneliused wrote:
Hello slowtwitch,
I'd like to have a bit of an adventure run-swim-run-swim-run, but I'm going to need some supplies. I will stop to eat and drink on islands (run legs), but I need a way to carry food, water, locating beacon, and a camera. I don't expect to be able to stash food on the course before hand or to purchase it on the way. Let me know if you have any ideas for carrying the supplies. I wouldn't mind if it was something that added buoyancy and made me able to swim faster as long as it's not a boat or paddle board or something that breaks with the spirit of adventure swimming. I would strongly prefer that it not slow me down, especially in the big waves.

So how do you suggest I swim with my supplies?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Unsupported open water swim expedition-how to carry supplies [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet you could store some stuff under a swim cap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with the float listed above, you can even get it DCR branded.
http://www.clevertraining.com/ishof-branded-ishof-saferswimmer-float-large
Looks like they come in 15 liter and 20 liter sizes. I think DCR's is the 20l

Should be big enough to carry your basic supplies. Food would probably be limited to bars or similar.

Water might be tough to carry, can it be found on the islands on your route?

I'm all for solo unsupported adventures; I know the risks and accept them.
I'd like to hear details of your proposed adventure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wetsuit or no? If no wetsuit, how about a tri race suit with zipper in the back? Is it a race or just a fun adventure for you on your own?
A sleeveless shorty wetsuit could be good for buoyancy (and a bit of safety if you cramp etc. Pulling the top half down while you are on land would prevent overheating. A small pouch (Ziploc baggie?) stored in the small of your back, under the wetsuit could work. Likewise a camelback bladder sideways in the small of your back, with the straw out the neck of the wetsuit might work if the swims are long enough that you need to hydrate.
What are you doing for protection of your feet? Swimming in shoes or removing them for the swim. Those slip on water shoe thingies could work if you're in and out of the water a lot. Slip them on for the land and stuff them down the back of your wetsuit for the swim sections? (just get them tight enough

Just my inexperienced uneducated, guesses but hopefully they give you some ideas?

Sounds like fun. Let us know what setup you end up going with, how it goes and feedback on adjustments and modifications you suggest.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Unsupported open water swim expedition-how to carry supplies [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the exact course is not yet set. I have identified some mountains and islands. It's just a fun test of stamina for me, not a race. I will wear a full wetsuit. I'm going to wear some tie on water shoes. I was thinking of camelback, though no swim leg will be longer than 2 miles. I was thinking of modifying a pull buoy for storage purposes in addition. I'm not worried about it in the run as I'll be jogging/enjoying the scenery more than racing. Carrying and getting in and out of the wetsuit repeatedly will be pretty stinky, but I suspect the water will be cool enough to make it worthwhile, plus the safety blanket aspect.

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done this with a towed drybag for an unsupported solo 10hr mission. Maybe not the brightest, but whatever, fuck it.

100% tow the thing from your waist and not from your foot.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on water and air temps, pick the right wetsuit.

shorty, mainly to keep your core warm, if the water is warm enough. Steamer/sleeveless if it's a bit cooler but will make walking/jogging a bit more difficult. Full suit if it's chilly water, but getting on/off the top half would be a pain.

Is it salt or freshwater? Is there any opportunity to get even water along the way?(is it drinkable?) (that way you could carry food/gels and not have to bother with carrying much water)

Sounds like a really fun and wicked cool thing to do. Where in the world are you doing this?

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one of these and like it.
https://www.newwaveswimbuoy.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Unsupported open water swim expedition-how to carry supplies [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah,

You won't break any swim records, so even swimming with a small minimalist backpack on the back that stays put and doesn't take on a lot of water would be O.K.

Your suit might get shredded though, if you don't have proper padding....so towing may be preferable....

Stay safe and make sure somebody knows where you are going.

OddSlug wrote:
You do get dry bags that have rucksack handles. For example.

You'd want to trap enough air to make it buoyant, maybe stick an inflated kids armband in the bottom. Then sort out a leash.

Edit - should of done a link in the first place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to be pessimistic, but have done something on a lesser scale before? This sounds quite risky. As I think about going from running-to-swimming, that always causes cramping for me. In a pool, I've had cramps bad enough that I had to use lane lines to escape from a close call with drowning.... that sort of backup plan isn't around in open water.

Instead of trying to do this entirely solo, do you have any sort of supported open-water training or racing nearby? Where I'm at, we have a few different groups that do open water swims that you can pay to drop into. Those include the typical safety paddle boarders and a marked / guided course. If that's available, you could drop into a session like that, knock out your 2-3K with a group, and then just do the run after.
Quote Reply
Re: Unsupported open water swim expedition-how to carry supplies [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 We assume the OP is an experience OW swimmer and is able to deal with cramps (should they occur) and similar disturbances without needing a lane line or another flotation device.

Otherwise, yes, your concerns would be warranted.

daswafford wrote:
Not to be pessimistic, but have done something on a lesser scale before? This sounds quite risky. As I think about going from running-to-swimming, that always causes cramping for me. In a pool, I've had cramps bad enough that I had to use lane lines to escape from a close call with drowning.... that sort of backup plan isn't around in open water.

Instead of trying to do this entirely solo, do you have any sort of supported open-water training or racing nearby? Where I'm at, we have a few different groups that do open water swims that you can pay to drop into. Those include the typical safety paddle boarders and a marked / guided course. If that's available, you could drop into a session like that, knock out your 2-3K with a group, and then just do the run after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Camelback "HAWG" has worked well for me but there may be newer/better/smaller options.

Get rid of the waist strap but the sternum strap helps. Trashbag inside if you need/want to keep clothes and shoes dry but make sure that you squeeze as much air out as possible because if it's too buoyant and there is a lot of wind or chop it will be hitting the backpack as you swim. It will add drag though.
Have fun!
Last edited by: Enjoy: Apr 21, 17 5:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done a Swimrun and am training for another. I have used an older 1l camel back in a race and training. The sides are tight to the bag and the overall size is small. It did not take on much water (other than what was in the bag) and was fine to swim with.
Some friends did the race with full wetsuits and backpacks. They stopped to put on the wetsuits at every swim and swam with the mostly empty backpacks on. The backpacks were regular day packs/school bags. Do not do this! They were like sea anchors and were even hard to get out of the water at the shore.
I have a large safer swimmer float. Great device. Limited carrying capability. Remember, everything you add that is as dense a H2O is going to to reduce the flotation of what ever it is in or on. This will increase your drag in the water. Look into some of the filtration systems like lifestraw to reduce weight if in freshwater.
What ever you plan to do, make sure you have tested it out in a safe way and done some training with it. Also make sure you can start a fire if necessary. Hypothermia is a real bitch.
Last edited by: TRIing2Run: Apr 20, 17 17:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love that you're pushing boundaries with your swim/run/hike/explore attitude. Self-supported adventure swimming is a great advancement in endurance sports. I love the freedom, the risk, the innovation, and the unknown. It's 10x more bad-ass than fully supported "marathon swimming" that has boats to provide navigation, drafting, aid stations, and safety.

And I'm more than a bit wistful that I'm no longer in a life situation where I can enjoy such endeavours (ie: young family). Please keep us posted about your adventures so I can live vicariously through them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This lot sell some good kit:

http://www.swimsecure.co.uk/

The Wild swim bag looks right up your strasse. I did a swim even where they gave the basic tow floats out, they are good, you don't notice them at all in the water. Only thing is I am not sure they ship to the US.
Quote Reply
Re: Unsupported open water swim expedition-how to carry supplies [iwaters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might get some inspiration from this video.

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply