Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 520 / Stages PM
Quote | Reply
I have been on the phone with support from both Garmin & Stages and I just can't quite figure out why my power reading on my Garmin 520 continues to drop every 10-30 seconds. I thought originally this was just at home due to my wireless or some other connection that could be interrupting the signal.

I ride a Specialized Shiv and I just changed out my XLab torpedo for a Zipp bottle holder between the aero bars.

Has anyone else had this issue before? What was your ultimate fix? (besides buying a brand new PM from another vendor)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 / Stages PM [ShivDoinidis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's odd, I have a stages PM and the Garmin 520 and have basically no drops when riding outside. Indoors itll drop occasionally but maybe once every hour or so and only for a few seconds. I also have my 520 between my aerobars.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah outdoors I am fine but it only drops when I have my garmin on and also my trainer road. It hasnt happened in a while though. Might be a dumb question but I am sure you changed the battery on it?!?

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 / Stages PM [tsdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If my Garmin is (1) mounted between my aero bars or (2) mounted on top of my speedfil bottle on the aeros, then the signal does not consistently get from the Stages PM to my Garmin. My solution was to mount my Garmin on the stem. No issues now. The Stages PM on my tri bike is an older generation. Can't comment on the newer generation, other than I have one on my road bike, fly mounted, and no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Gen1 stages drops out with my F3HR wrist mounted on my road bike. Have no issues with my Outfront mount 810 or 820.

I use a P2M with the F3HR and 8X0's on my TT bike with no issues.

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had that exact problem inside and outside. I eventually couldn't take it anymore as I had to ride with the garmin too far back for comfort. I got ride of the stages went with a powertap c1 and love it.

Occasionally I have seen people post that software updates have addressed the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 / Stages PM [Calvinbal6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had exactly the same problems. If I had the Garmin in a drinking bottle near the bottom bracket, I had no problems. So for me it was the signal strength from Stages. This is quite weak, because they can not install much in such small space. Have the Stages exchanged for an SRM. With the SRM power meter I am very satisfied.

Velo Hero - vendor independent training log and performance analysis software
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 / Stages PM [Cyclenerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've updated to the latest firmware?

Never had an issue with my gen 2 Stages and the Edge 510 and now 520. Very reliable. I did have issues with both my 920s and Stages, dropping out every 30s or so. But a non issue as I was always going to use my bike computer. I've got a Fenix 5 now and that connects fine, no dropouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 / Stages PM [petermck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah same here (same combination). Garmin on stem, all works. Garmin on bars (road bike) or Garmin on an out front holder and I'll get infrequent drops.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 520 / Stages PM [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've definitely heard people mention this issue but haven't experienced it myself. have my garmin 520 mounted on my BTA profile fc25 with no significant issues. I'll get an occasional very short drop but it's always just a blip and not something that frequently happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding inside or out I've noticed that my 910xt (on my wrist) will drop the stages when out in the aero bars. I ride with a 500 on the stem which stays connected (or so it seems) 100% of the time.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply