Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Race Report: Galveston 70.3 m35-39. Breakthrough Performance.
Quote | Reply
With Dev opining on another thread that we don't have enough race reports on here, I figured why not put myself out there.

The Buildup
I did this same race 2 years before, it was my 2nd triathlon ever after only starting training 6 months prior. I had a good race given how short a time I had been training, but I melted down on the run and was disappointed with that. I finished in 5:22:13, good for 68th place in my age group.

Over the next year or so I was able to win my age group at most local tris I entered, but my run was always easily my biggest weak spot (even though I was putting in a good amount of running). Over the next winter I got my run mileage up to 40 mpw (barryp) in lead up to IMTX 2016. I had a decent race there but once again had a lackluster run. I placed 54th in my age group.

I decided then that I would not do another full Ironman until if/when I thought I had a chance to qualify for Kona, and set a long term goal of getting on the podium at an Ironman branded 70.3 as the measuring stick. I love the racing aspect of triathlon, not the completion part and the full just didn't feel like racing.

After IMTX I took a casual approach to training for the summer and focused on the bike, doing a trainerroad program and planning on doing a lot of cycling races. Well in the 2nd one I did two guys crossed wheels right in front of me and I went over the bars at 26 mph right onto my head. Cracked my helmet in two and got terrible road rash on my shoulders. But I was lucky that I wasn't more seriously hurt.

It took about a month for the road rash and my shoulder to completely heal before I could get back into the water. As a result I had a lackluster fall tri season and ended up just bailing on a local 70.3 I had signed up for before the crash. This way I was able to start my winter training plan early.

In mid-October I read the desert dude full on ass challenge and I started to work on getting my run mileage up. The goal was to work up to 50 mpw before the new year. During this time I only biked 1-2 times per week and swam 1-2 times per week. By mid December I was at 50 mpw, then the goal was to hold it there until taper time for Galveson 70.3 April 2nd. Once I was at 50 mpw for a couple of weeks I started ramping the biking and the swimming back up.

During my cycle focus the previous summer I saw considerable FTP improvement doing the trainerroad sweet spot plan. I decided to give their HIM plan a go (I only used their cycling portion as well as doing a brick when they prescribed it). When I did the FTP test at the beginning of the HIM build plan, my FTP was down considerably from late summer. I was a bit discouraged, but figured all of the run miles in my legs were probably the cause.

Over the next 4 months amazing things were happening in my training. My run was improving almost unbelievably well, and trainerroad was teaching me to ride at 85% of FTP for extended periods of time. I had never run a stand alone half marathon previously and my previous HIM best was 1:50. In February I ran a solo half marathon in 1:25:58 and I paced the first half way too slowly. Trainerroad has you do a tempo brick session every week. I was routinely riding at 24-25mph for 90-120 minutes and executing 5 mile bricks at 6:30-6:45 per mile.

At the beginning of the year I had written down some goals and had included the Ironman 70.3 podium on there but wrote that it was a stretch goal and probably wouldn't happen this year. A mere 2-3 months later I'm at a point to where I knew that if I executed on race day I was almost guaranteed a podium finish. I was in a state of almost disbelief, wondering if this was really going to happen or was I delusional. My best HIM to date was 4:53, and here I am thinking I'm going to do one in 4:20?!?!

Warmup / Swim
No real warm up as my race plan was to take the swim very easy, and expected to come in a little under 30 min. I wanted to go easy because I knew that if I could hit my bike power I would have a smoking bike split and be set up to just need to execute a good run to achieve my goal. I thought I needed somewhere between 4:20-4:25 to podium and if everything went as good as some of my training simulations I could get closer to 4:15, which could be good enough for maybe 2nd or 3rd.

What's the old Mike Tyson quote? "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face?" That is applicable here.

I never had a problem with fogging goggles, but of course prior to the start I cannot get my goggles to stop fogging. Then the cannon goes off and I take off at a very comfortable pace, forgetting that everyone thinks they're Michael f'n Phelps at the beginning of one of these things.

So I'm getting thrashed around by a bunch of knuckleheads, can't see sh!t, and to top it off the first 500y or so of the swim are almost directly into a 20mpw wind. I think I swallowed 3-4 massive gulps of seawater and swam all over the place in that first leg of the swim and was definitely not relaxed and taking it easy.

Finally I make it to the first turn, which is about a 150 degree turn back the other way. At this point I realize that I need to stop and clear my goggles because I have no idea where I'm going. I had to do that 3-4 more times. So now we have the wind at our back, and most of the knuckleheads from my wave have died out and I'm able to find somewhat of a comfortable pace and settle in. I still feel like I'm working too hard though. Then what seems like a long time later I get to the first orange buoy which means I'm only halfway, I was like WTF!?!?!?!! Then I start having to weave through massive groups of people from previous waves. Anyway, I've rambled on enough about the swim. It sucked. I worked way too hard.

Then when I finally reached the swim exit, I stood up and my left hamstring cramped hard. It took me 20-30 seconds to get my leg straightened out and running. With all of that going on I never saw the race clock so I didn't know what my time was.

Swim - 30:10

Bike
Running out of transition I recognized the only guy I knew who I'd be competing with for a podium spot (didn't know what any of the others looked like). As soon as I was on the bike I went around him almost immediately as I try to get up to speed as fast as possible.

The course starts with a few turns so I try and keep as much speed through them as possible then try and settle in on the first long straightaway. I immediately notice that my HR is through the roof at 175. My max is 189. This freaks me out big time. I knew I worked harder on the swim than planned but I didn't think I worked that hard!!

After settling into what felt like HIM power I noticed I was only hitting 230w instead of 250w that I had been doing in training, but I was still going roughly 25 mph. I decided to just stay at 230 to try and let my HR come down quicker and then re-evaluate. After about 10 miles my HR was back down to 150ish which is high zone 2 for me and where I had been on all of my training rides.

The wind was pretty much straight crosswind, but I was still going 25 mph on only 230w. I wasn't sure if I was getting a little bit of tailwind or if the few things I changed for race day made me a little faster. I knew from best bike split that it's better to take it a little easier with the wind and push a little harder against the wind, so I figured if I made the turnaround and noticed a decrease in my speed I could try and pick it up to 250w.

On the way out to the turnaround I was constantly passing people. A few times when passing larger bunches I'd look back to clear my move farther left, and I'd see my competition was hanging out way out of draft zone behind me, maybe 25m? At some point close to the turnaround I noticed he wasn't back there anymore and got a jolt of adrenalin from that!

After making the turnaround, my speed decreased, but only ever so slightly. I really wanted to have a good run and at that point knew I was going to have a smoking bike split regardless, so I decided to keep it at 230w the rest of the way. Other than almost crashing when reaching for my behind the seat bottle (big gust hit me at same time) and missing a bottle hand up, the ride back was pretty uneventful. I was all alone for most of it.

I did miss a bottle hand up but I was still able to consume 3 full bottles of water and 2 flasks of EFS liquid shot on the bike, and I never noticed any HR drift. So I was feeling prepared for the run.

When I got back to Moody Gardens I looked at my garmin and it said 2:12. I was beyond excited to get this run underway! I was not delusional!

Bike - 2:13:23

It's all about the RUN
Finishing the bike I was so excited to get this half marathon started. I had always struggled on the run, always. But my training had gone so well I thought this race was going to be different. In training I just tried to get into a smooth effortless pace and relax. I usually ended up being 6:30ish. I figured I'd start out somewhere between 6:30-6:45 per mile. I really wanted to break 1:30 on this run, let's do this!!

Then I ran out of transition and it happened. My right hamstring and left quad were quivering, on the brink of cramping. I was devastated, my race was over. I was delusional after all. :(

But they never actually cramped. I just tried to run as easy as I could to keep the cramps at bay. I was very surprised to look down at my watch and see that I was still running around a 7min mile. Ok, that's not too bad! I may not run 1:30, but I can still have a pretty good run!

On the first out and back I noticed that my competition wasn't that far behind me, probably less than a minute. Then on the next out and back he was closer. Shit! There wasn't much I could do. After that first mile around 7, I was running about 6:50 for the next 4 miles or so.

I had never been in position to care where the other guys were in my age group before, and I had planned to teach my wife how to track the race and give me updates when I saw her. But with all of the pre-race excitement and activities I forgot. So other than the one guy I recognized I had no idea where I stood the entire race.

Onto the 2nd loop, and that first out and back I noticed that I had put a little time on the competition, nice! I wasn't running quite as fast but it was a humid day so figured if I could just keep it at 7 I'd be in a good spot. The next out and back he was way farther back, woah!! I had to concentrate to keep my pace around 7 but was able to do it.

Onto the 3rd lap and I was just counting down the miles, trying to keep my pace up as best I could. I'd notice that I was down to 7:20 and try and pick it up. I'd feel like I was running harder/faster but watch still says 7:20, damn. I just did my best to hold it together. With about a mile left I was finally able to get the pace back down to 7.

I didn't know what my time was from the swim or my transition times so I wasn't sure exactly where I was going to come in for overall time. I knew that I started 36 minutes after the clock started so was just hoping to finish before the clock read 5:00. I was too out of it to look too closely at the clock but knew it was well under 5:00!!! Yes!! I was ecstatic!!

Run - 1:31:58

The Aftermath

Walked over to my family with my arms up in celebration! Asked my step-dad what the clock said when I crossed the finish line, he said 4:54 something. After some quick math, that's sub 4:20!! (official time was 4:18:58) Holy shit!!! I'm on the podium for sure!!!

Since my family was clueless how to track the standings I grabbed my phone from my wife's bag. I pulled up the IM website and noticed that I was 1st in my age group off the bike (holy shit!! - there's a trend building here...) but the run was missing the splits from the 2nd half. I was immediately thinking about the run and could not remember anybody in my age group passing me on the run. But there were 3 waves for my age group so that didn't mean much other than I beat everyone in my wave.

I then pulled up the app that I meant to teach my wife how to use. Entered my name and it pulled up the splits and listed me as 1 the whole way through the run! HO. LE. SHIT!!!!!!!!!!! Is this for real??!?!?!?!! We were all in disbelief.

Finally about 20min later the IM website updated and listed me 1 after the run!!!!! I could not believe it. In fact I did not believe it until 4pm that afternoon when I got my 1st place MDOT. I must have refreshed the results a couple dozen times from noon to 4pm.

I still really can't believe it. I knew I was capable of that time but never once dreamed it would be good enough to win. There were a couple of really fast guys that didn't show up, but I just tell myself that if they could have beaten me that day they would have showed up. ;)

What went well
The desert dude full on ass challenge. I went from a floundering runner, to where I'm disappointed with a 1:32 because I know I have a much better run in me still.

Trainerroad teaching me to execute a race simulation every week. I not only learned how to hold higher power for long periods of time and still be confident in my ability to run after, but I also learned so much about hydration and nutrition by doing that. I was able to take in 2x the amount of calories on the bike than I was previously. And I don't think I had ever run a HIM before where I wasn't dehydrated the majority of the run. Drink early and drink often both on the bike and the run.

What didn't go well
The swim. I think all of the problems I had on the bike and the run were due to swimming too hard. I don't think I necessarily swam too fast, I just wasn't in a relaxed state. I don't know. I do know that I need to spend more time training the swim and more time in open water. My swim was always my best discipline with respect to placing in my AG, and at this race it was easily the worst and yet it still almost derailed my race. I guess I need to stop neglecting it now, even though I think I still have more time to gain on the run. I also need to put in a little surge at the start to get clean water so I can relax. I knew this but don't know why I forgot. I guess it's because I used to always surge and then feel like I swam too hard. I guess the trick is to surge and then really make sure you slow down once you're clear. I'm open ears on that.

Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Galveston 70.3 m35-39. Breakthrough Performance. [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heck of a race....

can you give a little background and how you got to this point in the sport.

ie. college swimmer, 5 years in sport going from 5:01 down to 4:18 etc

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Galveston 70.3 m35-39. Breakthrough Performance. [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on executing and qualifying for worlds, well done!

AV8 | Team Wattie Ink Elite 2019
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the race and podium.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race!!!

As an ok swimmer and cyclist but a crappy runner, my "long term plan" is have one more summer of fun, unstructured short-course racing and then start building my run to 50mpw starting in the fall with 2-3 swims (just hold on to technique) and 2-3 bikes/week (30-45 minute sessions of 5-15 minute intervals somewhere in the neighborhood of 95-105% of FTP). Once I'm comfortable running 50mpw I'll start building out the bike and the swim again.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Galveston 70.3 m35-39. Breakthrough Performance. [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I played a little bit of everything in my early youth, including swimming for my neighborhood swim team every summer from age 6 to 16 or so. But in high school I dropped everything for basketball. Then in my 20s I entered the sedentary portion of my life.

When I turned 30 I weighed 214 lbs (6') and realized I needed to do something. Over the next several years I ate better, lifted weights and played basketball.

About 2.5 years ago I volunteered through my church at a small local tri. I had no idea these things existed! I thought I could be good at this and went on my first training run the next morning and haven't looked back. I had never run farther than 5k before starting this sport.

My HIM progression was:
4/2015 Galveston - 5:23
11/2015 oilman - 5:13?
6/2016 buffo springs - 4:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on a great race. Which volume TR HIM plan did you do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
amazing job!!!! and thanks for sharing

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done! Congratulations! It's very satisfying when you set out a long term plan, trust the process, and have it all come together. Particularly if you do it as your own coach (which is sounds like you may have done). Especially since it seems you made a conscious decision to take a step or two back before taking four or five forward!

It makes the race-day experience so much more exciting when you're actually "racing". However, I've found that I also end up putting more pressure on myself to live up to my own--but even moreso other's--expectations. I'm kind of taking this year as a mental rejuvenation year to enjoy the fruits of my labor (ie. participating in the big events I had to qualify for). It sounds like you're just at the start of this" competitive window", but keep an eye out for such a mental fatigue, and don't be afraid to give yourself a break both mentally and physically if you need it. You've gotten to this point, so you'll be able to get back to it again even if you take some time off at some point.

Congrats again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome race!!

What was the desert dude challenge???
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Galveston 70.3 m35-39. Breakthrough Performance. [BGNole97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone.

I did the high volume build plan and the mid volume specialty plan. I would have done the high volume specialty plan but it had too many 2 hr rides during the week and I can't pull that off. So I did the mid volume instead but usually swapped out the short weekend ride they had for a longer outdoor ride.

Yes I am self coached. I'm not against getting a coach. It just doesn't seem to make much financial sense when I'm sill improving so much on my own.

I agree with you 100% on taking "breaks." Prior to the race when I was amazed at my progress I was thinking that if I had a good race at Galveston that I'd go ahead and do IMTX since it was still open and try to KQ. Almost immediately after the race was over I knew that I had put everything I had into that race and that I needed a break.

So now I'm just planning to build base all summer, and try and have some fun racing bikes again without hurting myself. Then race some small tris for fun early fall before ramping up another big winter training block and go for the KQ next spring.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Galveston 70.3 m35-39. Breakthrough Performance. [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

It's an old thread. Basically run 200 miles per month for 4 months straight.

Search full on ass challenge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool deal. I have the same thinking about coaches. One thing to get targeted help in something like swimming--another for full on program coaching. I feel like I would put even more pressure on myself during my target race to perform in order to justify the expense. I have two kids I'm going to have to put through college, I don't need to be putting other's people's kids through too!

And yes, as much as I peak physically for an 'A' race, I've found I also peak mentally. And then after that I just need some time away from it. Sounds like you might be near the Houston area. If so, the Texas State Time Trial Championship is coming up in about a month over in the Northwest section of town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, thx. We are making our way through our second TR plan of the winter, the full distance triathlon build. 5 hour TR 'Mianzimu' ride this weekend....ugghh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great write up thanks for that. Lots of take-aways there for myself. Congrats on joining the "machine" club.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race. It's cool to see hard work pay off, not so much in AG wins or fast times (those are ancillary benefits), but to set a personal goal and crush it. I'm aiming for big improvements in 70.3 this year as well.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race and breakthrough! Your position on the bike looks great by the way.

I'm the guy that almost showered in your hotel room and you were kind enough to click into the hotel pool. Ha!

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good stuff. Congrats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kudos!! Very well done :)

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats Sean!
amazing performance!
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Galveston 70.3 m35-39. Breakthrough Performance. [dboatx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done mate, top result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race report was a great read, thanks.
The race report and your story are also very inspiring. Keep it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Galveston 70.3 m35-39. Breakthrough Performance. [BGNole97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGNole97 wrote:
Cool deal. I have the same thinking about coaches. One thing to get targeted help in something like swimming--another for full on program coaching. I feel like I would put even more pressure on myself during my target race to perform in order to justify the expense. I have two kids I'm going to have to put through college, I don't need to be putting other's people's kids through too!

And yes, as much as I peak physically for an 'A' race, I've found I also peak mentally. And then after that I just need some time away from it. Sounds like you might be near the Houston area. If so, the Texas State Time Trial Championship is coming up in about a month over in the Northwest section of town.

I was planning on the state time trial with my team again in addition to doing the individual this year too but sadly I have a conflict. I need to find another 40k TT to do because that's the only goal left for the year I haven't achieved.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Galveston 70.3 m35-39. Breakthrough Performance. [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
Congrats on a great race and breakthrough! Your position on the bike looks great by the way.

I'm the guy that almost showered in your hotel room and you were kind enough to click into the hotel pool. Ha!

Ha!! Glad you were able to get freshened up, and congrats on a great race yourself!
Quote Reply

Prev Next