Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OWS in Honolulu
Quote | Reply
Hey Gang-

Going to HI for vacation next month, staying at the Kahala resort, which is a few miles east of Waikiki not far past Diamond Head. I've never been to HI, I'm wondering what my expectations for being able to OWS should be? I found some threads where people were recommending places to go or meeting up with masters teams or whatever, but I'm wondering if I can just hop in the ocean and swim from my resort? Or do some SOS-style jog to the Diamond Head Beach and then swim back along the shore to my resort? (looks like ~3mi back) I don't have a concept for if this is safe from sharks/jellyfish, how bad waves may be, etc.

Thanks!

Eric

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: OWS in Honolulu [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aloha friend - it is a terrible idea to go for a long swim by yourself...Kahala resort has a nice tiny little beach - you can do repeat 400s? 800s? if you swim out 200 and then to the left for 200 and then back...have fun! The closest beach where people train is Kaimana Beach - swim out to the flag staying on the right side. The biggest difficulty for swimming in Kahala is the coral/ rocks...Diamond Head has too many rocks/coral...you don't know where to swim into and out of and that is what is dangerous...plus there are hardly any lifeguards in that area except at Waikiki...GOOD LUCK!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You probably found this in your search... but I highly recommend Ala Moana Beach for OWS. Early morning there will be many people doing just that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't leave anything on the beach you don't want stolen. Choke chronics brah.
Quote Reply
Re: OWS in Honolulu [Mere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks for the replies all. Doesn't sound like this will be super easy if swimming from the resort isn't a great option. If I go to Kaimana or Ala Moana, what do people do with their stuff while they swim?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: OWS in Honolulu [Mere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mere wrote:
Aloha friend - it is a terrible idea to go for a long swim by yourself...Kahala resort has a nice tiny little beach - you can do repeat 400s? 800s? if you swim out 200 and then to the left for 200 and then back...have fun! The closest beach where people train is Kaimana Beach - swim out to the flag staying on the right side. The biggest difficulty for swimming in Kahala is the coral/ rocks...Diamond Head has too many rocks/coral...you don't know where to swim into and out of and that is what is dangerous...plus there are hardly any lifeguards in that area except at Waikiki...GOOD LUCK!
In Reply To:

Sorry to bring this old thread back up, but you are right, I am here and getting bored with swimming 200yd circles in front of the resort while avoiding coral. If I take a taxi to Kaimana beach with the plan to jog back afterwards then is it easy to find the flag you mention? Safe to leave just a pair of shoes on the beach?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy some cheap flip flops and leave them by the lifeguard tower or an old pair of running shoes and leave them in the same place. There is always people swimming there (Ala Moana) in the mornings. Get in touch with Hawaii Triathlon Center and I'm sure they can get you in touch with people to swim with. For jelly fish Man O'war there is a calendar that tell you the high probability days.
Quote Reply
Re: OWS in Honolulu [tobythetuba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
former resident. No problem at Kaimana if you want to run down and the swim is about a 400 out and back. There are always people doing the swim and navigation isn't a problem. Do not swim past the reef. If you have a rental car, you can drive and park because there is free (at least there used to be) and metered parking. Relax and enjoy where you are.

G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Mere wrote:
In Reply To:

Sorry to bring this old thread back up, but you are right, I am here and getting bored with swimming 200yd circles in front of the resort while avoiding coral. If I take a taxi to Kaimana beach with the plan to jog back afterwards then is it easy to find the flag you mention? Safe to leave just a pair of shoes on the beach?

You can't miss the flag, and there is no problem with leaving your running shoes on the beach. Leave them near the lifeguard tower if you are worried about it, but I wouldn't be.
Quote Reply
Re: OWS in Honolulu [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the run-swim-run this AM to Komani. Repeats out to tge flag and back worked great for my scheduled workout. Thanks for the suggestion/help!

A stupid question... I kept track of lap times out vs back. I swam much faster out to the flag than back. Why is that?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Did the run-swim-run this AM to Komani. Repeats out to tge flag and back worked great for my scheduled workout. Thanks for the suggestion/help!

A stupid question... I kept track of lap times out vs back. I swam much faster out to the flag than back. Why is that?

There's generally a pretty strong current that pulls out towards the flag, plus you're getting pushed out by the predominantly offshore trade winds. The currents can be surprisingly strong in that area, especially when you get outside the reef beyond the flag.

FYI, Kaimana Beach is the starting point for the Waikiki Roughwater Swim, which inspired the swim distance for Ironman events.
Quote Reply
Re: OWS in Honolulu [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, makes sense. Went down to the resort beach to do my swim this AM to see a couple giant jellyfish warning signs. I guess yesterday, today, and tomorrow are the worst days. Think my swimming is done for this vacation!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: OWS in Honolulu [gindc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gindc wrote:
former resident. No problem at Kaimana if you want to run down and the swim is about a 400 out and back. There are always people doing the swim and navigation isn't a problem. Do not swim past the reef. If you have a rental car, you can drive and park because there is free (at least there used to be) and metered parking. Relax and enjoy where you are.

What happens if one swims past the reef?
Quote Reply