Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dimond has some A2 data! [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
This fits in with what I have heard from some wind tunnel tests on the Canyon. Evidently it was the fastest bike this specific company had tested though other bikes like the Scott Plasma 5 do better in strong winds / higher angles.

Still not sure if the current crop of bikes offer a big enough improvement over my Plasma 3 for Time Trials (though the integrated drink/storage solutions would be a plus for 50mile + TT's).

From watching one in action the lack of rear wheel stiffness / possible power loss would be a worry for shorter events with a Dimond or similar beam bike, but potential fatigue saving a plus for longer races.

How do you lose power riding in a straight line even if there is BB flex. There will be no loss of power to the rear wheel when going in a straight line. You could literally ride on a noodle (anyone remember the slingshot) and have no power loss from the crank to the rear wheel. 99.999% of tri riding is straight line riding...there were even pros riding these things and racing competitively when they were out.

Quote Reply
Re: Dimond has some A2 data! [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
This fits in with what I have heard from some wind tunnel tests on the Canyon. Evidently it was the fastest bike this specific company had tested though other bikes like the Scott Plasma 5 do better in strong winds / higher angles.

Still not sure if the current crop of bikes offer a big enough improvement over my Plasma 3 for Time Trials (though the integrated drink/storage solutions would be a plus for 50mile + TT's).

From watching one in action the lack of rear wheel stiffness / possible power loss would be a worry for shorter events with a Dimond or similar beam bike, but potential fatigue saving a plus for longer races.

2 questions for that:

1) How do you know any flex you are "seeing" is not the wheel?

2) As far as power loss for sprints go; how much power are you actually producing in a sprint? It's likely less than what TJ/Maik/Jordan/etc are producing in an Ironman...and they are fine as far as "lateral stiffness" and "power transfer" goes...
Quote Reply
Re: Dimond has some A2 data! [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having sat behind one in a TTT the movement whether wheel or otherwise was a little disconcerting to start with. Not noticed on other riders bikes using the same wheel. No idea if there is power loss or but I would have thought it had some influence maybe just handling wise hence bike manufactures bulking up BB area/chain stay area particularly if using skinny seat stays. If energy is going side ways would that be wasted energy?
Quote Reply
Re: Dimond has some A2 data! [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Point 2- is why I suggested that the benefits over longer races probably out way any possible negatives.
Last edited by: boing: Aug 5, 16 11:32
Quote Reply
Re: Dimond has some A2 data! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
So, no, I don't think the new Diamondback will be the fastest. Mostly because Kevin has yet to demonstrate that he can make a bike outside of the Cervelo "envelope" that is really fast. But he's certainly smart enough to do it. I just wonder how much he feels the need to make a bike that is visually distinct from a Cervelo even if it pays an aero penalty.

Thoughts on this now? I came across this thread while looking for that great conversation you and stan had about "the nature of yaw", which I still can't find.
Quote Reply
Re: Dimond has some A2 data! [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pubes, your mind is an interesting place. I appreciate your ability to catalogue and/ or locate stuff like this. Keep these conversations going!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Dimond has some A2 data! [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
So, no, I don't think the new Diamondback will be the fastest. Mostly because Kevin has yet to demonstrate that he can make a bike outside of the Cervelo "envelope" that is really fast. But he's certainly smart enough to do it. I just wonder how much he feels the need to make a bike that is visually distinct from a Cervelo even if it pays an aero penalty.

Thoughts on this now? I came across this thread while looking for that great conversation you and stan had about "the nature of yaw", which I still can't find.

Have you posted your data from the test yet? If so, give me some time to read it. If not, I'll hold off until after you do share.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Dimond has some A2 data! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Estimated time to publish is 6 weeks
Quote Reply

Prev Next