Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Looking at New Rav4, Highlander, CRV & Tucson..UPDATE: Bought a Car
Quote | Reply
Toyota has a sweet deal right now with 0% for 72 months (we would pay off sooner) for the Rav4. Out the door price was given to us at 22,985 (including the destination charge-which I won't pay for). I will be adding a warranty to it, but not buying from the dealer, will do so with another dealer at a greatly reduced price. My wife has always wanted the RAV4 and we currently have an older Highlander (07) that has treated us well. I want to look at the new Highlander and drive the CRV and the Tucson.

I know that the CRV has had problems with the vibrations and I think it is due to their CVT Transmissons. Doesn't seem to be too many good reviews from them lately. I like the look of the Tucson, but have yet to be inside one.

If I go the route of the RAV4 our payment will be about $280-300 a month depending on what we put down.
The Highlander will be in the $400s, but be a much bigger vehicle
I am guessing the Tucson and CRV will likely be in the mid to high $300s a month.

We have a corolla with 160k on it and we are keeping it for a run around car. I figure I would only get 2.5K if I am lucky-it is worth more to me than that.
This purchase is not a need but a want, and it will make the wife happy and then I will get some benefits! We will likely get the Rav, but she is open to other cars.

Just looking for your experiences and or comments regarding the cars.

Thanks
Last edited by: littlefoot: May 2, 17 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at New Rav4, Highlander, CRV & Tucson... [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we're looking at the exact same type auto's right now as a replacement for the wife's Element. We're fixing to gift the Toaster over to our daughter.

We've driven the CRV in touring edition and really liked it but so far the Subaru Forrester is our leading contender. We also drove a Volvo XC60 that we really liked but it's $$ to maintain downstream and a little to rich for us. Later this week we're going to take a gander at the Rav4 and she if she likes it.

best of luck on your search

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at New Rav4, Highlander, CRV & Tucson... [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a RAV4. It is a good vehicle, but it doesn't ride well and has some road noise. My parents have a 2014 Rav4 and have said the same thing.

Mine has served its purpose, but I'm ready for something that rides better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had 3 CRV's over the last 4 years and i am currently renting one long term

Its ok, don't need to think about it but hardly inspiring

I have driven a couple of xc60's and they were great but significantly more in maintenance

Prior to the crv we had a touerag and we have just ordered a skoda kodiaq

Not sure if the skoda is being brought to NA but in europe spec wise it crushes the competition in value for money and kit

I would say - when we got our crv's that i prferred the stylobg over the RAV's and i now quite like the new x-trail
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2011 Tucson. Never had an issue with it.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of these cars. Pick the one you like the best.

Having said that, the Tucson is easily the smallest of these cars. So if you are looking for size, look elsewhere.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Apr 20, 17 5:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We looked at all of those last may and ended up with a Ford Edge, our requisite was to fit a dog kennel behind the second row. The package we got was as loaded as you can get before the titanium package and it is pretty sweet. In one year we have had to do 1 part under warranty (electronic throttle body). I think my wife has put 12,000ish miles on it and has never second guessed getting it.

We did 0% for 55 months I think it was.

The 2017 ford escapes were really nice looking. I have had bad luck with direct injection turbo engines so the other requirement was a larger NA motor.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Last edited by: MTBSully: Apr 20, 17 6:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 0%, why would you put any money down?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at New Rav4, Highlander, CRV & Tucson... [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've driven the CRV in touring edition and really liked it but so far the Subaru Forrester is our leading contender. We also drove a Volvo XC60 that we really liked but it's $$ to maintain downstream and a little to rich for us. Later this week we're going to take a gander at the Rav4 and she if she likes it.

I'm looking at the Rav4, CRV and Forrester also. Can you let me know what you end up getting.

My brother has the Rav4 and picked it over the CRV (he only looked at the 2) so I'd be interested in your opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone looking at this class should at least take a quick look at the Mazda CX-5. I tested all of the usual suspects, but ended up going with the Mazda as it was just a lot more fun to drive. I've had mine for three years now and it hasn't given me any trouble. The entertainment system sucks as far as functionality with an iPhone goes (takes a long time for the phone to sync up), but I think that's probably a little better with the newer models. Oh, and don't bother looking at the model with the smaller engine, no fun there.
Check out the reviews and head to head tests and it's always in the mix or at the top of the class. My girlfriend has a 2016 Tucson Luxury and it is nice too, with way more features, but not as peppy.
In any case, they're all really nice vehicles, but that one just made me happier on the road.
Good luck with your decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Jaguar F-Pace. You think you "will get benefits" for a Rav, buy the Jag and see what you get!
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at New Rav4, Highlander, CRV & Tucson... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WILCO amigo

FWIW we've loved our Honda Element but it's a 06 model i bought when i came back from OIF and retired from the Army on Oahu. At the time i was still doing Tri's (did Honu three times) but i had serious back problems from years of jumping out of airplanes and humping heavy rucks over hill and dale. So i rode a Softride Roadwing I had Mr. Cobb set up for me when he still had his shop in Shreveport. That was a TALL bike and the Element was the only vehicle i could fit it into without taking any wheels off. It's over 10 years old now and has 130k miles on it but our daughter should easily get another 100k out of the Toaster if she keeps the oil changed.

We really liked the XC60--solidly built and very very quiet. But it's really in a whole nother class and not one we're really a member of.

So we've still to check out the RAV4, and the Mazda too. I really like the boxer engine in the Subie but it's a buzzy little SUV. However coming from the echo chamber that is a Element any these little SUVs will be quieter.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have kids? These cars are pretty small.

Re: Looking at New Rav4, Highlander, CRV & Tucson... [chowder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you reminded me-I wanted to also add that to the list. I am not sure she is keen on the styling of the exterior, but worth a look. I wish they made a cx-7. I think I want something a bit bigger than the 5, but not necessarily as big as the 9.

I will keep you all posted. I expect to get something in the next 7-10 days...hopefully
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at New Rav4, Highlander, CRV & Tucson... [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to get the payment super low. That is all. We can afford the 450ish payment, but if I can have a 275, why not?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at New Rav4, Highlander, CRV & Tucson... [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
I have a RAV4. It is a good vehicle, but it doesn't ride well and has some road noise. My parents have a 2014 Rav4 and have said the same thing.

My work car is 2016 Rav4 AWD and it sounds terribly loud in one power band range (typically at about 90km/hr (50mph) under light load)

Recently I bought a Kia Soul. Its smaller than the Rav4 or CRV but similar to the Tucson or Honda HRV. I'm very happy with it.

I used to like the Hyundai Santa Fe's - it was my go-to rental car on weekly business trips (between 2010 and 2012).

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Last edited by: Guffaw: Apr 20, 17 9:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Just to get the payment super low. That is all. We can afford the 450ish payment, but if I can have a 275, why not?

0% is free money. Let's say for instance you were going to put $1,000 down. Instead, invest that $1,000 and if you can get even 0.01% return, then you've come out ahead.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at New Rav4, Highlander, CRV & Tucson... [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

My work car is 2016 Rav4 AWD and it sounds terribly loud in one power band range (typically at about 90km/hr (50mph) under light load)

Recently I bought a Kia Soul. Its smaller than the Rav4 or CRV but similar to the Tucson or Honda HRV. I'm very happy with it.

I used to like the Hyundai Santa Fe's - it was my go-to rental car on weekly business trips (between 2010 and 2012).

Does this mean you DON'T like them now? Or, that you liked them when you used them during that time period?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Toyota has a sweet deal right now with 0% for 72 months (we would pay off sooner) for the Rav4. Out the door price was given to us at 22,985 (including the destination charge-which I won't pay for). I will be adding a warranty to it, but not buying from the dealer, will do so with another dealer at a greatly reduced price. My wife has always wanted the RAV4 and we currently have an older Highlander (07) that has treated us well. I want to look at the new Highlander and drive the CRV and the Tucson.

I know that the CRV has had problems with the vibrations and I think it is due to their CVT Transmissons. Doesn't seem to be too many good reviews from them lately. I like the look of the Tucson, but have yet to be inside one.

If I go the route of the RAV4 our payment will be about $280-300 a month depending on what we put down.
The Highlander will be in the $400s, but be a much bigger vehicle
I am guessing the Tucson and CRV will likely be in the mid to high $300s a month.

We have a corolla with 160k on it and we are keeping it for a run around car. I figure I would only get 2.5K if I am lucky-it is worth more to me than that.
This purchase is not a need but a want, and it will make the wife happy and then I will get some benefits! We will likely get the Rav, but she is open to other cars.

Just looking for your experiences and or comments regarding the cars.

Thanks

I test drive the RAV4 when I was looking for my car. Hated it. Terrible ergonomics, bad ride.

#hondasforlife

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just got a new Highlander a few weeks ago and love it. We (she) wanted a 3rd row and that was the best fit for us compared to other brands.

Do you need a 3rd row? They started around 30k out the door here after taxes and crap.

It has been a sweet ride, even as the base model. Lots of nice features, especially compared to our 2007 Saturn Vue that we traded in. We have no regrets about buying it.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Guffaw wrote:

Does this mean you DON'T like them now? Or, that you liked them when you used them during that time period?

I haven't driven in one for a good while. I think they are still great looking cars but I can't personally vouch for the recent versions.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just went through the same process with the same list of vehicles, including the 4Runner which we felt was too 'truck like' (I have a Tundra I absolutely love so wasn't expecting the 4 Runner to ride like a Bentley)...

We actually ended up buying a used Lexus RX350 - the certified warranty and free service is really amazing. It's a very boring vehicle in all respects but is just a big nicer than the vehicles you're considering, rides and handles great, decent gas mileage, and will have good resale value. And great reliability even compared to the others youre comparing.

Good luck, hard to go wrong with any of your candidates.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at New Rav4, Highlander, CRV & Tucson... [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
we're looking at the exact same type auto's right now as a replacement for the wife's Element. We're fixing to gift the Toaster over to our daughter.

best of luck on your search

/r

Ha! I own an '08 Element SC which is going to the son (who calls it the chrome toaster). I looked at all of the above: Rav4, Escape, CRV, Subarus, etc. By happenstance stumbled on a 4Runner and bought that. Love the ride and the auto reminds me of my old Trooper.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at New Rav4, Highlander, CRV & Tucson... [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not opposed to the Lexus line (would have to be used). Any chance the Lexus has to use the Premium Gas? I heard that about Lexus and that was a deterrent for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at New Rav4, Highlander, CRV & Tucson... [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 1 kid, and hoping to be done there...although I actually had a dream last night my wife was expecting again! Aahhh.

I agree they are small. My wife is not a big fan of the bigger SUV, but she likes the older highlander and is open to giving it another shot (even though it is much bigger).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rented a new Nissan Rogue recently and was very impressed by it. You may want to add it to your list.
Quote Reply

Prev Next